• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:02 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The Chronicles of Kanbabrif

Started by Bastard Poetry, May 17, 2008, 07:20:29 am

Bastard Poetry

June 13, 2008, 07:37:44 am #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Quote from: "Cheetah"Well I will look into a few of my ideas further to see how they develop. Is there a location on your site where you are discussing character design and portrait adjustments so that I could be part of these discussions?

Heh heh.. I missed this post.

No, but I will write all of that up sometime soon for you.
Final Fantasy Tactics - Thief SSCC:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL73FB72C01D917FD6&feature=viewall

(Fully recorded LP; successes, failures, and most things inbetween)

Cheetah

June 13, 2008, 09:01:03 am #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
SUCCESS!

Well I'm not sure anyone was even understanding what I was trying to do but hopefully you will understand the importance of it to this project. Basically what I have done is found where all the graphics for the cursers, text, and backgrounds for all the menu related stuff during battle are, and then I made them all transparent. The screen shot below is of Ramza with his actions menu open.

Notice the complete lack of anything. First you think, well what is the point of this I can't tell what the hell I'm doing. But this means that for BastardPoetry's videos, he wont have to cut away or freeze the action every time he wants to take a new action. Of course you have to have what you are doing completely memorized, but I think that is a small price to pay. There are only a few issues, but what I'm showing you now took me about 30 minutes to put together so I'm sure we can figure out the other problems.

Either way I attached the edited FRAME.BIN, file that goes in the "Event" folder of the cd image. Just import this one in over the old using CDmage and you can have invisible pretty menus too.

Even the damage, "AT", and skill name dissappear. Though there could be some work arounds like, just getting rid of the "AT" but leaving everything else.
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

June 13, 2008, 01:14:10 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Excellent work, Cheetah! This has quite a myriad of uses! I am glad to see that editing Frame.bin went so smoothly.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Cheetah

June 13, 2008, 01:24:03 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Well Melonhead's ShiShiSpriteEditor is a useful tool. It would have the potential to be a very powerful editing tool for more areas of FFT if another version was made  to deal with a wider variety of files, sense most of them use roughly the same format. Though how I have it working now I think I could edit anything contained in FRAME.BIN
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

June 13, 2008, 01:35:34 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Oh? You modified the code itself? Was doing so difficult?

Art of War

Cheetah

June 13, 2008, 01:46:09 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
No no no, I didn't modify any code. I was just giving a subtle hint hint about how ShiShi could easily be modified by the creator to do a lot more.
Current Projects:

Zozma

June 13, 2008, 07:29:08 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i have no doubt that it could even be used to modify the images stored within effect files as well if configured to decompress them the right way.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

egrest

June 13, 2008, 08:34:57 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by egrest
Wow, part 1 was awesome and very well done.
Nice music there that you have selected to use, my only gripe is the video quality, but that's just me.
Keep up the good work.  :D

Bastard Poetry

June 14, 2008, 12:50:59 am #28 Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:53:37 am by Bastard Poetry
Cheetah, you rock my freakin' socks off, man!

egrest, about the video quality.. That was the "VHS quality" version, because it was the one that won the race for uploading to Vimeo. There's now a High Def version, which is much clearer. (However, it takes longer to load, and it's highly recommended you let it load completely before you start watching it).

EDIT: The HD version is now the default version

Unless if you meant the quality of the video in terms of events, such as the choppiness between dialogue and actions (like what Zodiac described). In which case, we're working on improving that for the next episode.

Thanks for the feedback, though!

Oh, and Zodiac, you will especially appreciate what I plan on doing with the whole memory card sub-plot thing.

As for Hamwitch's constant yammering and Junk's constant "Bludgeo'ding," the former was meant to be annoying, in keeping true to the character, and the latter was meant to be memorable, by means of repetition. It's become quite the popular phrase recently, so I like to think I succeeded in my intentions.

I'm currently doing some spring cleaning, both around the house and on my computer--which is a complete mess of shoop'd images and video clips now. Basically, I'm taking a short break before delving into Part II. However, I've already started jotting down notes, and I will deliver a full character lineup to you sometime within the next few days, Cheetah.

I still need to spend some time reading everything there is to read around here.. I feel so behind on the advancements you guys have made in the last few months or so!

Cheetah

June 14, 2008, 03:01:34 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Very exciting stuff. You have definitely earned a breather haha. I will really look forward to those character descriptions BastardPoetry. I actually spent a lot of time today working on some new portraits.

Make sure you take a look at Gomtuu's Map Viewer. You could probably get some cool and unique shots of the battlefields using that.
Current Projects:

Xifanie

June 14, 2008, 08:39:46 am #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Ah, I see...

Bluedgeo'd for hammer sure did get stuck in my head for a few hours; no way I'll forget him, ever.  :(

There may be some limitation with showing abilities in events, I had some problems with that until now.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Archael

June 14, 2008, 10:36:14 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
my dude better get to pwn some ppl next part  8)

Dormin Jake

June 15, 2008, 10:01:00 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Just got back from five days in the Appalachians, which was a great trip and all but for the continually mounting anticipation leading up to finally getting to watch your video.  That said, the wait was totally worth it.

awesomefreakingawesome

The biggest praise I have is that in only a few minutes' time you got me to care so much for a common named secondary generic character, that I was genuinely bummed when he met his end.  That's got to be some sort of speed record for a tear-jerking heroic sacrifice.  And now I'm really tempted to describe something as "for hammer" the next time I'm in a fitting conversation.

This is a prime piece of FFT fandom, and I hope it breaks out to a reasonably wide audience.  Looking forward to seeing my likely ill-fated Dorminid in the next installment, but definitely enjoy the break!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Bastard Poetry

June 16, 2008, 10:33:34 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
CAST OF PART II

Kanbabrif (Kanbabrif sprite, durr)
Bastard Poetry (black/crimson thief)
Brazen Hussy (misty sprite)
Chaumel (see attachment)
Voldemort (see attachment)
Philsov (blue version of Warrior sprite)
Fanatic (buttpants?)
FuhFuhFresh (blue version of Red Mage sprite)
Dukki Boi (see attachment)
Dorminid (see attachment)
Olan (He's a freakin' Duke now. Maybe he needs some new threads?)

And, as it was before, a few guest appearances that I will decide as I go along.

I've attached bitmap files for the characters that could use some portrait work, Cheetah. If you need any others, let me know. As it currently stands, BP the generic thief has a fairly unique portrait (darker skin tones), and Fanatic seems fine with the generic monk portrait. Although, if you're feeling really ambitious, I suppose you could make his a little more unique. I noticed your work on Vanya's Warrior sprite, so Philsov might get a little makeover already! Dorminid volunteered to be a female character, because he didn't want the Chronicles to turn into a sausage-fest, but insisted on being an archer. So feel free to jazz that one up if you want.

Let's see.. what else? I haven't had a chance to play with the new toy you made me, but I'm about to do that next. I DID get a chance to read through gomtuu's map-viewer topic. That stuff is AMAZING.. but I'm not too sure how much use I'll be able to get out of it now.

I seem to recall a topic around here where Zozma or someone was playing with spell-hacking.. Hmm. I'll have to look into that more.

Archael

June 16, 2008, 10:44:30 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
My guy's the pwn, also, /nitpick I have slightly lighter hair color than that. but any lighter would look strange on that sprite if my artist's eye isn't failing me

Kletian's  portrait is almost as handsome as I am IRL

also I see I have a critical standing animation?

NO WAY!!! :o

LastingDawn

June 16, 2008, 11:03:48 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm, DukkiBoi's sprite is very ornate, especially for a Knight, you bring out a lot of virbant colors which makes him look very flamboyant and pompous, of course this is only through sprite, I have no idea how the fellow actually is. Also chaumel's an interesting case, if it weren't for the Izlude head I'd say the green clothes and black armor make him look very reminiscent of a little Velius somehow.

Art of War

Cheetah

June 17, 2008, 12:41:07 am #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Oh so exciting. I will look over this stuff soon.
Current Projects:

Bastard Poetry

June 17, 2008, 01:21:14 am #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
LastingDawn, one thing you should know is that these characters were chosen over on the Gamefaqs board, in my Chronicles topic. Users picked their job class and colors, and I made the adjustments based on what they asked for. Sometimes, if they didn't specify a job, I gave them a unique sprite (such as FuhFuhFresh - Blue version of Red Mage), and sometimes I made decisions based on what I've already planned to do with the story.

But yeah, Dukki Boi picked yellow and orange, and I thought it was a strange combination to pick. But it ended up looking pretty cool in the end.

Visit my homepage to see the whole cast:

www.museofoblivion.com/kwrathindex.html

Alakran also ended up looking much, much cooler than I expected! The Pieke Okata sprite is just a stand-in for that picture, and not the one that'll end up being used.

Bastard Poetry

June 17, 2008, 01:26:36 am #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Bastard Poetry
Voldemort,

I don't think you have a standing critical.. You shouldn't, anyway, because all I did was alter the colors of Kletian's sprite. I didn't re-draw anything.

However, I will adjust the hair color slightly. That's no trouble at all.

And one last thing: I will try to work in a little bit of pwnage for your character, but you have to know that Kanbabrif does all of the severe pwnage in this story. Most of our user-named characters would REALLY hate to have their character killed off by anyone but K-Wrath. This goes for my character as well.

But don't worry, we minions will get the chance to do some damage..  :twisted:

Archael

June 17, 2008, 01:37:34 am #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
The standing critical animation was a joke; I was referring to my sprite having a critical animation at all; as in, why would I EVER go into critical?

LUDICROUS.

And yes I am fully aware of Kbob pwnage, I never asked for more action from my guy or anyone else.  :D