• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:46:27 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

PSP World Debug

Started by NiteKat, March 12, 2017, 10:52:02 am

NiteKat

Looking around using Google and this forum's search engine, I could find no information on a world debug code for the PSP version. I finally decided to try to take a peek at the RAM to see if I could figure it out myself. I managed to find the memory address for the position of the cursor, though I don't know how to translate what I found into a CW Cheat code, as I was using ArtMoney + emulation to hunt around the memory.

It looks like most of the world debug menus work the same as the do in the original, except the battle setup behaves rather differently. I'm not sure if it's recoverable or not, and to me that was the most interesting part of it. In the original, the first team you set up would be loaded in player slots 1-4, and the second team would be in slots 17-20 (the usual player unit slots). In the PSP version, it seems to load both teams in 1-8, but then load the first team into slots 17-20. The information loaded into slots 17-20 are marked as non-existent ("FF" in the "unit exists" byte), and so you get a Game Over right away.

Messing around with the memory editor, I found that if I change the exists byte for one of the slots 17-20 that hold unit data, I could get the battle to continue, but the "copy" of that unit in 1-8 can't move. Also, when the unit in slot 17-20 would get a turn, the game will crash. You can prevent that unit from getting a turn using the Battle Debug menu to mess with it's CT and Speed, but you have to be careful to never allow it to get a turn.

An experiment I tried was starting up a battle with one unit per team. So slots 1, 2, and 17 were being used. I noticed the other slots (3-8 at least) had seemingly random data in them. Before the battle loaded, I changed 17 so that they "existed," and after the battle loaded, I changed 1 and 2 so that they "did not exist." This pushed the battle to the victory condition, fanfare plays, it shows I won 0 bonus money... and then promptly crashed.

I am sad to say that it looks like the first option of the world debug got butchered in the PSP port. :( Has anyone else looked into this at all? Like I said, I could find zero information on this through my searches.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown