• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:43:16 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

FFMaster

Thanks for the videos Wiz and Barren. And thank you all for submitting teams and adding in your own comments. It really is hard to try to balance a game without any input. Although, I may need a new thread to make sure I find everything that needs to be changed and keep things in order. So keep your eyes open on Friday(Thursday night for you guys).

Once again, thank you all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Barren

Thank You FFMaster for making such a enjoyable patch that has a lot of people's attention these days, especially since now we're discussing how we can help you make this patch better... on the behalf of all of us who are involved with Arena and have commented on Arena and made videos for Arena, thank you for your hard work FFMaster!
You dare cross blades with me?

The Damned

(*patiently waits for either of his new teams to be used while continuing to toil in Excel*)

Yes, thanks for all the videos, Barren. Although, I must confess that I cast a curse upon your house and TrueLight's house for making me want to make a Kingdom Hearts themed team again.

Hmmm...I feel like I'm forgetting to say something considering how long I've been up. I "updated" my three old, still valid teams and I know that I want to say that Flare's damage seems kinda "suspect", but I think it was something else....

Quote from: Malroth on July 26, 2011, 06:56:48 pm
The Faithless cowards are Unbelieveably Brutal, They don't hit paticularly hard but they're all super fast and incredibly tanky.

140 damage at instant speed that's unable to be dodged, hits multiple panels and can be done from quite a distance isn't "particularly hard"? While Thieves are indeed weaklings, Elemental being unable to be dodged makes tha moot point.

Quote from: Malroth on July 26, 2011, 09:17:31 pm
Make it all elemental so absorbtion gear works on it, and lower the base accuracy to 75% before M-EV,  that way its still a useful and powerful tool but isn't a gauranteed free cyclops equivilent.

While it would indeed make sense for all skills in the Elemental set to be...elemental, that wouldn't really solve the underlying problem of the aforementioned attributes and the way it scales as Squidgy points out. At best, it would just make Earth Clothes and Float (even) more useful (in some situations).

Also, I'm not sure lowering the base accuracy like that is (currently) possible formula-wise.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

zxpr0jk

Quite disappointed in the paladins.  Wasted turns using Accumulate. I figure they couldn't get into melee range, so the next best option was to retreat and use Accumulate. That will be addressed. I'd like someone to clarify something for me. Because knight-swords are forced two-hand, do they get the two-hand damage modifier? I wasn't sure if Chaos Blade's WP would be 16 or 32. So do all forced two-hand items get the damage modifier built in or does it require having the two-hand support to get the benefit even when using forced two-hand weapons?

The wizards did as expected. As well as could be expected anyway, when the enemy team has a floater and seal evil. Death was really supposed to be saved to rez the paladins, but since they didn't rush in round three. Derp.. They'd have more draw outs, but they were heavily burdened by the JP cap.

I'm making a couple changes and updating. I would like to have at least one small map each time though. That was three medium-large maps in a row. Paladins had no choice but to fall back since they couldn't reach their targets.

FFMaster

They don't get the 2 hands multiplier.
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Malroth

How did a blind monk have a 89% chance to hit my mantle wearing, defending, abandon dancer in the last video?

Barren

he was using shuriken which i guess ignores blind status

The Damned

(Not sure if a new thread is needed just yet, but, hey, it's up to you FFMaster [and technically PX].)

Shuriken goes by magical evade, so, yes, it ignores Blind.

That's why it and Dia tend to hit people more often than not since only Shields and Mantles (and Magic Gauntlet, which almost no one uses) have M-EV.

Quote from: zxpr0jk on July 27, 2011, 08:03:33 pmQuite disappointed in the paladins.  Wasted turns using Accumulate. I figure they couldn't get into melee range, so the next best option was to retreat and use Accumulate. That will be addressed. I'd like someone to clarify something for me. Because knight-swords are forced two-hand, do they get the two-hand damage modifier? I wasn't sure if Chaos Blade's WP would be 16 or 32. So do all forced two-hand items get the damage modifier built in or does it require having the two-hand support to get the benefit even when using forced two-hand weapons?

As FFMaster said, items that forced Two Hands don't get the boost that Two Hands will would give you, mostly because Two Hands isn't required to equip them since that would defeat the point. Even if you gave Two Hands manually or innately to a class and then had them equip a Knight Sword (or something else that's forced Two Hands, like Longbows), that weapon won't get the bonus.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Shade

Imah have a new team... Snakes!!!!
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

The Damned

(Ugh. That entire first match and the first round of my match were quite frustrating to watch.)

Just wanted to say thanks, Barren, for the promptness and fortitude considering how long just those three matches are. I figure I say that now before I get sidetracked responding for at least of couple of hours typing up a reply to the 131 thread.

Well, that and I changed Strider & Hawkeye already considering what a liability they were.

Wiz

Quote from: The Damned on July 29, 2011, 12:22:19 am
(Ugh. That entire first match and the first round of my match were quite frustrating to watch.)

Why frustrating? There's no need to get upset over a match that went on for an extended period of time. It was quite entertaining to see my mime mimic charmed enemy spells, which is unprecedented or not seen for a long time if I'm incorrect with the former.

Although I will admit, this team's designed to be most effective on a large map with quickening spam and unfortunately fought on two small maps causing my units to sandbag more often than I wanted them to. I made this team specifically to show how broken Quickening is in the long run, and now that the results are crystal clear, it should be rid of entirely or at the minimum modified in some sort of sensible fashion (Change to "+20 CT", increase MP cost to 20-30, give it a CT value, etc...)

Now I would talk more about the mechanics, but I'll save that for the 131 discussion thread so...as for matches

Those Archers on Malroth's team and their 100% status procs proved how well they can cripple people, but even so, DO for Barren sealed the deal I'd argue with it's ridiculous amount of damage. It's basically like S5 with Kiku spamming all over again :mad: The fact that this + Geomancy weren't fixed for Arena provides people a great incentive to go with one or the other knowing there's no great risk in using either of the two

Damn, even with a base SPD total of 32, RedWorld showed just how much synergy her team had in dishing out a vicious assault onto the enemy units. I will admit in round 2 that Undead Squire surviving as long as he did before clinching the round was utterly hilarious with the constant Speed Save triggering :P

The Damned

(Yeah, Quickening needs to die.)

I must admit as hilarious as the second round was, I feel kinda dirty for using Speed Save given how much I loathe its current incarnation.

Quote from: Wiz on July 29, 2011, 10:31:29 am
Why frustrating? There's no need to get upset over a match that went on for an extended period of time. It was quite entertaining to see my mime mimic charmed enemy spells, which is unprecedented or not seen for a long time if I'm incorrect with the former.

Oh, it wasn't "upsetting" per say frustration-wise. It was just the "roll eyes as the AI delays the inevitable conclusion" type of situation that tends to happen. Trust me, it's not that I'm impatient. It's just that AI was, as it too often is, really stupid about wrapping things up.

After I certain point, I was just listening to it as I was working in another tab because of how often Charm was hitting as well, which resulted in your team spending on "revving up" because of how little damage they could do. Given how the AI usually reacts to Charm unless it can hit the unit for 50%+ of its HP or Charm is about to wear off anyway, that tended to happen a LOT.

Malroth

Love Dol's new AOE team  I think its my new favorite

Barren

Barren

I will be uploading more Arena matches tomorrow...if anyone wants to assist me in doing Arena vids, feel free to do so

The Damned

(Thanks again for this Barren.)

Yeah, I'd try to help with this, even though I don't have a mic, but my computer is so sluggish as to likely combust should I try recording a video...if I even knew how to do that properly in the first place. So I am again, useless. I could have sworn someone else was doing recordings before, though, or at least said they were capable. Hmm....

Barren