• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:51:04 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

How do you change dialogue?

Started by A Blood Red Fox, February 27, 2013, 01:21:43 am

A Blood Red Fox

Is there a way to modify the dialogue that is spoken during cutscenes and story related dialogue that pops up during battles?

3lric

Event Editing, see my tutorial.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8229.0

We have a couple different story mods already here at FFH that you could check out
to see what can be done as far as eventing goes.

• Modding version: PSX

A Blood Red Fox

I was playing around with my FFT image (which currently has the FFT+ patch on it already) and I didn't have any success changing the dialogue. I notice that the dialogue shown in the events in TEST.EVT don't match up with the text that was introduced by the patch. What exactly is going on? Where is the dialogue from FFT+ coming from?

Pride

did you import the editted test.evt into the iso? its the simpliest error that could occur
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

A Blood Red Fox

Well, CDmage I attempted to, and CDmage's little bar filled up and such indicating it finished. Though The date on the file in the image didn't change to the same one as the file I edited. Does that mean it didn't work?

Regardless, I don't think it's going to have any effect, since the dialogue I attempted to edit, is not identical to what is being displayed. For example it says "Sinful children of Ivalice" while in game it says "Wayward children of Ivalice".

A Blood Red Fox

Well... apparently I'm terrible at following directions. I missed a step. Turns out I never actually decompiled TEST. Now that I have, I can open the text file and see the text that is supposed to be there. However, the timestamp for TEST never changes when I try to import it using CDmage, and nothing has changed when I run the game.

Pride

when you are done editing event.txt are you compiling? if the timestamp isnt changing then it sounds like youb arent doing that
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

3lric

After editing a event.txt you will see a time change on the TEST.EVT in the EVSP folder. Than you will import it with CDMage,
you will not see a time change in CDMage, only in your eventing folder.

Can you please upload your event if this doesn't work? I would like to make sure you have the offset set correctly, as this is recently been a problem for others.

A Blood Red Fox

I clearly have no idea what I'm doing, since I don't actually know what offset does. I didn't notice any explanation in the tutorial - maybe I missed it. At this point I don't really have an event, all I did was modify the text to change a word merely to see if it would change.

3lric

Than you don't have an offset error, the offset is not explained in my tutorial.

So does your TEST.EVT update the timestamp when you compile? We need to find the spot at
which your event is not making it into the ISO

A Blood Red Fox

The date modified on the TEST.EVT file does update when I compile.