• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:16:09 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Creating a "New" FFT

Started by ChaosNyte, March 12, 2009, 03:06:52 am

ChaosNyte

March 12, 2009, 03:06:52 am Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 02:28:37 pm by ChaosNyte
First off, hi everyone! Let me start by saying I am a HUGE fan of all these new FFT projects and am completely in awe and floored by Mercenaries, Remix, 1.3, etc...they're all amazing. When I first played Tactics when I was 10, immediately I had dreamed that one day I'd be able to create my own game like this, and it's finally looking like that will happen. However, there's one problem...

I'm the most tech-illiterate person, ever.

I'd really love to create my own FFT game, namely with my own script. I'm something of a writer --- programmer, however, I ain't. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me the basic crash-course of making my own FFT game/patch/etc? Basically just tell me how to get started, what tools I need to have/download, and things of that nature -- all the advanced stuff I imagine I'd pick up on my own.

Thanks in advance, and God Bless

-Chaos

jimmyjw88

March 12, 2009, 06:19:56 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Well...first of all, great to see such a fan like you ^^
All i know is you need shishi sprite editor for sprites editing, fftpatcher to make so changes that you wish, cdmage to access into the games files, like battle.bin, unit.bin, and whole lot more.
FFtactext for text editing...You get download latest fixed fftactext at http://sh3llz.com/~melonhead/rtload/tac ... bugfix.zip
And there are more tools which i'm not so sure about them because i didn't make such big editing like mercenaries or remix or fft 1.3 or etc.
So, you'll have to surf around and get some informations about them.
Well, that's all i know for programs. ^^

Oh, and welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics ^^
Hope you able to get the programs that you required for editing. ^^
Good day ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

philsov

March 12, 2009, 10:10:20 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
Please edit your topic title to be actually descriptive to the subject matter.

Anyways, the big ones are:

FFTPatcher (front page -> downloads)
ShiShiSprite (bundled with FFTpatcher)
TactText (linked above)
Event editor:
http://www.ffhacktics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444

I'm getting a 404 on the base file though, post in that topic for further info.

There should be respective tutorial stickes for those.  You'll need to learn some basic programming (at least, learn how to count in hex), but it's easy to pick up.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

ChaosNyte

March 12, 2009, 02:29:37 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ChaosNyte
Thanks SO much to the both of you! Greatly appreciated. So I'm guessing I just need these programs, and an FFT iso/ps1 emulator and I'm good to go?

jimmyjw88

March 12, 2009, 09:49:32 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by jimmyjw88
Yea....but like philsov said in above....you'll need to learn some basic programming ^^
There are tutorials for what you need to know about the programs.
Surf around and you'll find it. ^^
And, you're welcome ^^
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

ChaosNyte

March 13, 2009, 04:04:16 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ChaosNyte
So I've just decompiled TEST.evt, and jeez, I didn't know what I was getting myself into! How do I even begin to understand what any of the millions of codes/jargon/nonsense means?! It all seems so daunting...

Any hope of a GUI in the future? heh..

Kokojo

March 13, 2009, 11:57:37 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kokojo
Mabey once we figured out all the instruction.

If you want precise and almost instant help, go on the IRC (http://www.ffhacktics.com/chat/) and ask Zodiac, Lasting_Dawn, Cheetah or me for more information.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

ChaosNyte

March 13, 2009, 01:03:58 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ChaosNyte
Might do that -- thanks

Zozma

March 13, 2009, 03:56:07 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
theres a list of known event instructions on the main page.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!