• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:55:56 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

changing terrain textures

Started by A Blood Red Fox, August 21, 2015, 02:25:38 pm

A Blood Red Fox

I'm hoping to change the texture used by the desert terrain tiles. Has anyone figured out how to modify that terrain textures?

3lric

You can definitely do that. You'll need to download Ganesha and export the Texture (Gomtuu has instructions for everything on his site for Ganesha) then you can edit it.

A couple things to keep in mind

-) Ganesha is in greyscale, as are the textures you'd export.
-) You will have to manually put in your palettes in Ganesha.
-) You'll have to import the new texture to every state the map has (since it's a random battle map, it should have quite a few) you'll also have to manually enter the palettes for every single state, otherwise it'll look wonky, when it rains/nightime/etc. (switch the map states by pressing the [ ] buttons in Ganesha)

The good news is that you can use map2gl to view your map in color. What I do is extract the entire map folder for FFT and load the same map in both programs, then when I save in Ganesha, I can hit the [ ] buttons in map2gl (they don't do map states like they do in Ganesha) to switch to the next map and then back to my map to see my changes in color. The downfall to map2gl however, is that it will not let you see different map states.

I wrote a tutorial on setting up map2gl here:
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10013.0

• Modding version: PSX