• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:20 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Final Fantasy VII Project

Started by Cheetah, September 01, 2011, 05:06:58 pm

Argy

Wow, that sounds most impressive! I look forward to it's release!! Hopefully it will make it easier, so a total lackwit like myself can have a crack at it! :D
  • Modding version: PSX
Kotetsu Quad Killer!!

GeneralStrife

An easier way to event edit will probably be one of the biggest things ffh has seen in a long time.

JBab

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on September 05, 2011, 08:11:34 pm
*whistles innocently*

Seems like a Huge Release! Cant wait to see all the amazing things to come in the future from this program.

@Raven its amazing what can be done to help other who isnt as talented in certain fields congrats on the Release  :more:

Flan Dance!

pokeytax

Status update? I think people are still interested and there are a couple new editors to help with events. If no one really wants to helm it and get things moving, I'd consider doing it myself, but I am quite happy to help out with whatever hacking is needed.

My personal sprite wishlist:
- A finished Cait Sith sprite (monster-size?). Haters gonna hate, but we've got everyone else, right?
- A flavor EVTCHR animation for some characters (e.g. Cid smoking).

But honestly, there's already too much spritework buried with unfinished patches. Maybe it should wait until there's 75% of a patch to go with it.

Pride

I'm still willing to help/do with events, I'm just waiting to see who (if anyone) will take the lead.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

RandMuadDib

Quote from: pokeytax on September 12, 2011, 10:22:40 pm
- A finished Cait Sith sprite (monster-size?). Haters gonna hate, but we've got everyone else, right?

Don't the "Haters" cover everybody? No one left to not hate.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Pride

Twin was working on a very nice Cait Sith sprite, I'm assuming that he will eventually finish it and it'll be useable.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: pokeytax on September 12, 2011, 10:22:40 pmBut honestly, there's already too much spritework buried with unfinished patches. Maybe it should wait until there's 75% of a patch to go with it.

Well, I'm working on Special Power Rangers Edition now that I've got EasyVent at a place I'm happy with it, since doing all those help files has almost every event command basically ingrained into my brain and looking shit up is mad easy now.

It's extra nice, since it lets me begin finishing one of my patches and give EasyVent more thorough testing at the same time.  So you guys can possibly expect to see the results of that sometime in the near future.

Quote from: Pride on September 12, 2011, 10:39:51 pm
I'm still willing to help/do with events, I'm just waiting to see who (if anyone) will take the lead.

I imagined Cheetah would, since it was his idea for this and all?

I would but I've already got one Event-heavy patch on my plate.  I'm still willing to do lots of help with storyboarding and handle the game mechanics side of things since I can handle that stuff relatively quickly, if someone wants to begin making something out of this idea.

Cheetah

Thanks for the vote of confidence Raven.

I have been a lead on several other projects and I would be happy to at least get this project off the ground and see if it can actually get the interest behind it. I however have little time to actually work on stuff. I can organize and lead a team though and I think it is about time to see if we can make this thing happen. As with all my other projects, this would definitely be a team effort with collaboration as a central theme to the project. We have developed a basic outline for how a patch of this kind could work, and I think we will continue to build on that concept.

So I think it is time to start organizing duties and getting a team formed. I will be taking volunteers for most positions, however individuals will need to show that they have or are developing the skills required to fulfill a role. Specifically for story writing and event editing there will essentially be tryouts and people will have to show proficiency. I will post some positions that I will generally know can only be filled by specific people, such as spriting or ASM editing. If there is a position that I do not post, but someone believes should exist feel free to post in inquiry.

I will post a more complete job listing later and requirements, but I want to start out with two pretty basic roles that will need to be filled from the beginning. Story Writers and Event editors, I am officially taking volunteers for these jobs now and will develop tasks to show off your skills in the coming days.

Current Projects:

The Damned

(*still needs to look at most of the updates to the hacking forum over the last month since he's a lazy sod*)

Despite what I said before about generally not caring all that much FFVII, I will re-affirm what I meant about wanting to help. As with Raven, I'm probably going to be working on event-heavy patch myself, but I'd like to help in (almost) any way that I can, so put me wherever you need me since I'd be fine with either and need work on both.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Cheetah

BTW: This project is only every going to succeed with amazing ASM hacking support. I'm am running under the assumption that Raven and Pokeytax at minimum are still interested in helping out.

@Damned: Sounds great, you can try out for both positions if you like.

PS: I do all this stuff as an open dialog and in the forum so that others can see how the project is being developed and organized. So that if it is successful it can function as a model for others to follow.
Current Projects:

The Damned

(Yeah, I can't help on the ASM front. I still have no idea how to code anything.)

I can try out for both? Very well then. I shall endeavor to do my best (and then fail miserably), so just like...PM me or something if so necessary. Otherwise, I should be around pretty much 24/7 at least this week--feeling like more crap than usual has its (small) benefits (even if they don't outweigh the negatives).

But enough blathering. To Zanarkand! [/wrong game except not really because of FFX-2]
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

GeneralStrife

I'm pretty good at making stories but I'd like to know more about the position

Pride

I can help with events and on the asm level.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Cheetah on September 13, 2011, 05:42:40 pmBTW: This project is only every going to succeed with amazing ASM hacking support. I'm am running under the assumption that Raven and Pokeytax at minimum are still interested in helping out.

I don't see what you'd need ASM for, really.  Maybe for some specifics but everything we discussed so far is doable only with things that already exist, which is nice.  The only thing I can think of is trying to get Material Items to track AP equivalent to what the unit earns as JP and open up skills based on it, but Pokeytax already seemed somewhat interested in doing something like that.

And like I said, always willing to help with storyboarding and battle mechanics.

pokeytax

Yes, I volunteer full-time, I'm not working on another patch. Like Pride, I can ASM or do other related gruntwork. I would like to do fun parts like writing and system design too, but I want to see a released patch more than anything.

Twinees

Well, you know what I'm most useful for haha. I also know how to make maps (if need be)

Cheetah

@Twinees: The only reason why I made this thread in the first place is because all your amazing FFVII sprites need a game. Thus you were already part of the team whether you knew it or not.
@Pokeytax: Well you are more than qualified for the position so count yourself in.

I think I will need a few conversations with the both of you to make sure we agree on the basic premis of this project before I post script and event editing try outs.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

September 28, 2011, 10:54:38 pm #59 Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:44:46 pm by Cheetah
Recruiting to Fill Positions

Twinees, Pokey, and myself have been bouncing around ideas for a couple weeks now and we have developed the basic concept for the patch to the point that we are ready to bring more people on board. Specifically we are looking for a writer and an event editor. To fill these positions, since there has been quite a lot of interest, we are holding what will essentially be tryouts. This is mostly to have people show case their skills and display their interest in the project, and we will not necessarily only be picking one person for these positions. Once again this is a team effort and we will try to find ways to utilize anyone who is interested in contributing.

To start things off I am posting the basic outline of what we are envisioning for the opening scene of this patch. There is the setting and the basic information we want covered within sample lines, but this by no means contains the exact dialog that we are looking for. The task of all those who wish to tryout for the writer position/s is to fill in the script. Once we have a final script for the event drawn together, then tryouts will begin for the event editing position/s creating an event for said script.

Guidelines:
1) WotL naming conventions and dialect will be used for FFT characters. Besrudio for example.
2) FFVII characters using the dialects they had from the USA translation of FFVII. This means that Barret sounds like Mr. T. This also means that Cid and Barret should cuss in character, but with appropriate censorship inline with the original FFVII.
3) Characterization is greater than plot. This is essentially a Gaiden adventure involving teleportation, time travel, amnesia, and inter-dimensional travel. The plot is never going to be believable or engrossing, so it is very important that the characters are instead. I would recommend lots of research on the original FFVII crew so that you can keep them in character.
3a) We are looking for a relatively light hearted tone for the overall story. Once again it is ridiculous, so lets make sure to poke fun at it a bit as well.
4) The following outline is relatively rough and does allow for some wriggle room especially in regards to items 1 through 3a. It can't be too much longer, but some good character moments would be appropriate. Also adding any stage cues or actions to help guide later event editing is always great (but don't go overboard).
5) I'm going to put a rough end date on this of two weeks from now of October 12th. This is subject to change and I will always be happy to see what people come up with.
6) All submissions can simply be posted in this thread. If for some reason you are opposed to that, email me at cheetah569@hotmail.com
7) If you have any questions are need clarification of this rough outline feel free to post them.

Opening Scene Outline
Setting: Start in the workroom with Barret, Cid, and Besrudio standing around the teleporter thing. They are giving some context as to what is going.
Besrudio: According to Besrudio the teleporter has been showing signs of functioning ever since he first got it, with the greatest example being when the Zodiac stone was present and transported Cloud to the workroom.
Barret: briefly relates his experience of being teleported somewhere within Goug and being found by Besrudio and them making the connection that Barret knew Cloud and that they both had been teleported here.
Cid: makes snarky remarks about how little help Barret was in actually fixing the teleporter and that if he (Cid) hadn't found his way to Goug shortly after they still wouldn't have a clue as to what to do.
Action: Just then the teleporter starts activating and a green materia appears and drops to the floor.
Besrudio: makes a comment that their adjustments to the machine were obviously successful since things are now teleporting directly into the workshop.
Barret: "Unfortunately, everything that has teleported up to this point has presumably been scattered across the continent."
Besrudio: "Yes, there seems to be no pattern in the placement of the few items and materia from your dimension that we have found thus far. A larger exploration of the area may help us determine the radius of the teleporter"
Barret: "I'm more interested in finding the rest of our crew than our supplies. If the two of us and Cloud have made it here already, I going to assume that we all are."
Cid: "Or will arrive, you have to remember that though we seemingly all left our dimension at the same time, we appear to be arriving at different times."
Barret: "Now that the teleporter is depositing our supplies all here though, it is time to go look for our friends right?
Cid: "Yeah that's the plan. Besrudio can safekeep anything or anyone that comes through the teleporter and continue researching a potential way back to our dimension."
Besrudio: "Make sure to check back often for new supplies and information."
Cid: "Where do we start looking though?"
Besrudio: "My last letter from Mustadio mentioned that Cloud was still traveling with he and Ramza. They were travelling from ___ to ___. Though I must remind you that Cloud had no memory of where he came from."
Barret: "Cloud can be a bit peculiar like that, he has had too many people mess with his head over the years. He will come around though, he always does."
Cid: "If I'm learning my Ivalice geography correctly though, that is a rather long ways off."
Barret: "I heard an interesting rumor at the bar today. Apparently a bar maid in Gariland broke up a fight involving a group called the Grog 11, the locals seemed rather impressed."
Besrudio: The Grog 11 is a pretty notorious band of monks.
Cid: Sounds like we have a couple leads then.
End Event
Current Projects: