• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:32:15 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grim Grimoire Beta 0.7- Last Updated: 2/25/16

Started by Eternal, February 12, 2013, 01:48:41 am

Eternal

By the look of it, it's just a throwaway, unless there's some hidden property in that. I guess I'll do some testing later. FFTA had that quirk as well, I believe, except it had multiple equipment properties.

EDIT: Maybe the element is also used in Shield Bash?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

chocolatemoose

I think you're right - it has to do with element on attack. To give another couple examples:

- Flametongue / Fire vs. Venus Blade / Fire, Absorb: Fire
- Firewheel Rod / Fire vs. Flame Rod / Fire, Immune: Fire

All the level 2 and 3 rods exhibit this behavior.

Per the TA2 wikia, it looks like the first one is the item's inherent element and the second one is other effect.

While this wouldn't allow for several buffs/debuffs on equipment, it looks like if an element is in the cards there is some room to play with a couple. Fire / Weak: Ice? Fire / Weak: Fire?

Also, in the other effect category, how is it coded that the Cachusha and Barette are immune to a number of debuffs, but not all? That seems to break the only one other effect rule.

GasT87

There are specific properties for stuff like the Ribbon or the Orb of Minwu, there are 3 levels for it Immune to some/several/all. It was probably made that way to save on space on the cartridge, so instead of having various bits per item to indicate immunities and the like they just one Byte with 255 different possible properties (from 00 to FF)

Eternal

I'm thinking of releasing a beta with all the new job changes soon. It'd be literally just job changes, but would you all be interested in trying it? The ultimate goal is to release something along with FFTA GG at the same time.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Eternal

October 29, 2015, 12:13:56 am #104 Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:27:22 am by Eternal
It's been a bit, but I'm happy to introduce a new, and very different job for Nu Mou! (Nu Mou get a lot of loving in FFTA2 GG!) The Daemon job! While technically human, the Daemon has some very interesting quirks that makes it unique among Nu Mou. For one, they have very high physical growth, and unarmed attack strength almost equal to that of the Master Monk's, making them able to claw through most enemies with ease, with enough hard work. Secondly, Daemons have complete absorption to the Dark element, but halves Holy, meaning things like Cure/Cura/Curaga won't be as effective. Thirdly, Daemons have the ability to teleport directly to their destination, making them capable front-line fighters. Fourth, the Daemon's skillset, Ultima Magicks are directly taken from FFT's final boss, Altima... and it's as powerful as it sounds. At a cost...

...their spells require charging. Yes, spell charging in FFTA2. In order to cast their spells, they must charge with the Focus ability (which comes auto-mastered). Once Focus is used, the caster will be able to use their Ultima Magicks. Such power, however, comes at a cost. When an Ultima Magick is cast, the user will be dispelled of all buffs, and the unit will have to Focus to cast an Ultima Magick again. Basically, the Daemon can fulfill different roles and can tap some very potent effects, but at a price.

Focus: Channels potent magickal powers, allowing the user to use Ultima Magicks.
Mute: Reduces the enemy's MP to 0 with a strange, rending light.
Return: Bends time and distorts space, delaying the turn of units in a large AoE.
Ultima: A variation of Ultima's version, dealing large damage with perfect accuracy in a large AoE.
Despair: Unleashes a wave of distorted energy to dispel buffs from all enemies.
Eschaton: Creates a burst of holy light, damaging enemies and healing allies for large amounts in a large AoE.
All Ultima: Deals damage to all enemies with perfect accuracy.
Grand Cross: Inflicts either Slow, Poison, and/or Addle in a large AoE.

http://imgur.com/a/2XmGC

EDIT: Sages have lost Ultima and gained Omega, which is basically Llednar's. High MP cost, deals 2x physical damage to a single unit within weapon range. Yay Omega!

Madeen

Daemon sounds interesting :) I'm glad Nu Mou get much love, they were already interesting in vanilla... as a result I always had 2 Nu Mou's in my party, looks like it wont change in this hack :)

Eternal

October 29, 2015, 09:20:39 pm #106 Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 09:49:57 pm by Eternal
The Daemon should be interesting to test (and balance!), if it's not horribly broken, haha. Just a heads up to everyone: only a few new jobs are left to be made! Some thoughts I've been toying with:

Myrmidon (formerly Defender): From FFTA GG, except with a focus in FFTA2 GG of breaking gear and lowering stats as well as dealing damage.

Succubus (formerly Assassin): A job inspired by another FFTA2 job- Al-Cid's Agent. The Succubus would have a variety of effects based on the gender of their prey. Al-Cid would acquire a new skillset.

Hero (formerly Moogle Knight): A job with much needed healing capabilities for the Moogle race, similar to a Paladin, but with a heavier emphasis on magick than blade as far as their skillset is concerned.

Wood Warden (formerly Elementalist): A job inspired by Rafa and Malak of FFT, Wood Wardens would be a defensive mage, with high defensive stats, capable of using elemental magicks that strike multiple times, each hit randomly hitting either allies or enemies within the AoE. This can be used to deal heavy damage (with a little luck) and heal allies at the same time, similar to Scholars, but infinitely more balanced.

I'm yet deciding on a fifth new job, and I know Animist and Beastmaster will be reworked as well, but those details yet escape me.

EDIT: Note that these jobs are just concepts. I'm playing around with ideas in my head to make them all fun and functional!

Eternal

Abilities are wrapping up! All that remains are some changes to existing jobs, and rebalancing monster jobs/abilities, and I'll be about ready to put out a very beta version of FFTA2 GG!

Here are some changes to look forward to for existing jobs. Text in parenthesis is the new skill name:

THIEF:

Loot Lv.1:              (Loot) Steals a piece of Lv. 1 and Lv. 2 loot from an enemy.
Loot Lv.2:              (Steal HP) Drains HP from an adjacent unit.
Loot Lv.3:              (Loot II) Steals a piece of Lv. 3 and Lv. 4 loot from an enemy.
Loot Lv.4:              (Steal MP) Drains MP from an adjacent unit.
Steal Limelight:        (Steal Armor) Steals an enemy's equipped armor.

WHITE MAGE:

Arise:                  (Holy) Deals tremendous Holy damage to a single unit.
Esuna:                  Now cures all debuffs.
Refresh:                (Wall) Grants Protect and Shell to units in a small AoE.

HUNTER:

Ultima Shot:            (Drill Shot) Inflicts defense-piercing damage.
-RESTORE ULTIMA SHOT TO SKILLSET

SEER:

Magick Frenzy:          Now only works with Fira, Thundara, Blizzara, Cura, Esuna, and Raise.
-RESTORE MAGICK FRENZY TO SKILLSET

ANIMIST:

100% Wool:              (Sheep) Bestows Protect and Shell on a single unit.
Catnip:                 (Swarm) Deals minor damage in a large AoE and may inflict Poison.
Toad Song:              (Hawk) Deals moderate damage to a single unit, steals Gil, and may inflict Blind.
Cuisine:                Consumes an adjacent HP Critical monster and fully restores the user's HP and MP.
Tail Wag:               (Tame) Controls a Monster.
Sheep Count:            Inflicts Sleep on an ally, but fully restores HP and recovers some MP.

MOOGLE KNIGHT:

Moogle Attack:          Now knocks back three tiles.
Moogle Guard:           (Moogle Cure) Restores a moderate amount of HP in a small AoE.
Moogle Rush:            (Moogle Dia) Deals heavy damage to an Undead unit and may inflict Stop.
Moogle Shield:          Now bestows Astra to a single unit.
Moogle Aid:             Now removes debuffs from a single unit.
Ultima Charge:          (Moogle Raise) Revives a fallen ally with 50% HP.
-RESTORE ULTIMA CHARGE TO SKILLSET

TIME MAGE:

Hastega:                (Gravity) Deals Dark damage to a unit equal to half of its current HP.
Extend:                 (Comet) Deals heavy non-elemental damage to a single unit.

SAGE:
Esunaga:                (Extend) Extends the duration of buffs and debuffs in a small AoE.
Gigaflare:              Now deals moderate damage in a large AoE.
-RESTORE ULTIMA BLOW TO SKILLSET

DRAGOON:

Bangaa Cry:             (Ascent) Boosts the user's Move and Jump
Wyrmtamer:              Now Controls a Dragon unit.
Wyrmkiller:             Now deals 3x damage to a Dragon unit.

TEMPLAR:

Soul Sphere:            (Reflect) Bestows Reflect on a single unit.

FENCER:

Swarmstrike:            (En Garde) Bestows the user with Counter and Evasion Up.
Checkmate:              (Engage) Attacks a target and bypasses Reactions.
Featherblow:            (Flurry) Attacks four times at half power, each strike with 50% accuracy.
Nighthawk:              (Partings) Attacks an adjacent unit and sends the user back three tiles.

ASSASSIN:

Last Breath:            Now inflicts Doom.
Nightmare:              (Allure) Inflicts Charm on a male unit and Berserk on a female unit.
Rockseal:               (Kiss) Restores a large amount of HP to a male unit and inflicts Critical Up on female units.
Ultima Masher:          (Sadist's Whip) Inflicts heavy physical damage in a line and inflicts Resilience Down.
-RESTORE ULTIMA MASHER TO SKILLSET

SNIPER:

Death Sickle:           (Swiftness) Bestows Haste on the user.

BERSERKER:

Ground Shaker:          (Gaia's Wrath) Deals physical damage to a units in a line and may rend their shields.

Eternal

It's been a bit since I've updated (I've been swamped with work), but I'm working on one final job that I think I'm going to really enjoy messing with: a job that focuses on sabotage and directly turning enemies against one another. Literally, possessing them to attack their friends. I'm debating whether I want it to be a spy/scout-like job that focuses on manipulation, backstabbing, and trap/invisibility control, or whether I want it to be a magickal job that uses occult-like abilities to possess, undo damage, and consume the user's HP to inflict various hexes.

bcrobert

Quote from: Eternal on November 16, 2015, 12:29:31 am
It's been a bit since I've updated (I've been swamped with work), but I'm working on one final job that I think I'm going to really enjoy messing with: a job that focuses on sabotage and directly turning enemies against one another. Literally, possessing them to attack their friends. I'm debating whether I want it to be a spy/scout-like job that focuses on manipulation, backstabbing, and trap/invisibility control, or whether I want it to be a magickal job that uses occult-like abilities to possess, undo damage, and consume the user's HP to inflict various hexes.

Are you using that Control idea or is this Charm focused? Also if the theme is "possession" then I would go with the occult thing. And the other one just sounds like a superior Sky Pirate. At that point you might as well just give the new ability to Vaan and be done with it...
My FFTA hacking tools: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=9559.0

Believe it or not, I'm still working on this game.

Eternal

November 16, 2015, 02:11:10 pm #110 Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:20:23 pm by Eternal
Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards Occultist. As far as Possess goes, yes, it'd be Control, but it's the opposite in that it only works on non-monsters. I -really- want to make Beastmaster a new job, but I have such little room for descriptions for their skills that it'd be a pain in the ass.

If I do go ahead with Occultist, they would replace Elementalists and their theme would be blood magick and summoning eldritch abominations. This is the basic skillset I've been planning for them:

Possess: Controls a non-monster unit.
Geist: Reverts a unit's HP and MP to what it was on its previous turn.
Abomination: Inflicts Immobilize in a small AoE.
Offering: Sacrifices the user to revive an ally with full HP.
Elder One: Deals Dark damage to a single target and may inflict Confuse.
Impiety: Deals Earth damage up to four times to either allies or foes. Each hit will randomly hit either foes or allies within the AoE.
Bloodfall: Deals Water damage in a small AoE at the cost of some of the user's HP.
Sanguine Chant: Sacrifices some of the user's HP to restore a target's MP and boost Magick.

The skills are based off of numerous things: Impiety being a reference to FFT's Hell Knight, and Geist being a reference to Bravely Second's Exorcist job. Occultists are adept at keeping a distance from enemies and using their unholy skills to debuff and cripple enemies. Also note that Arise likely won't be a thing in A2 GG, so Offering will be the only way to revive an ally with full HP. With Geist basically being Undo, Time Mages would get Warp, which would teleport enemies in a large AoE randomly around the field.

EDIT: In thinking about it, the uses of Possess are far-reaching. Imagine the enemy using it on your team, or using it on an ally in a better position to attack. It's awesome!

EDIT 2: At this time, the Myrmidon job is finished! Myrmidons are from FFTA GG, with some slight changes. Myrmidons focus on having high defense with their heavy armor, as well as rending gear and having "physical Black Magick", which is basically physical versions of the level 1 Black Magicks. This allows them to debuff and damage from a range, or deal elemental damage from afar.

Blastar: Deals physical damage from afar and rends the enemy's equipped headgear.
Icewolf: Deals physical damage from afar and rends the enemy's equipped shield.
Defend: Reduces damage taken until the user's next turn.
Hellcry: Deals physical damage from afar and rends the enemy's equipped weapon.
Shellbust: Deals physical damage from afar and rends the enemy's equipped body armor.
Frost: Deals physical Ice damage to enemies (not allies) in a small AoE.
Burn: Deals physical Fire damage in a large AoE.
Storm: Deals physical Thunder damage in a small AoE with a high range.

http://imgur.com/a/8bR9h

Eternal

November 19, 2015, 08:10:18 pm #111 Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:24:19 pm by Eternal
I've finally decided on a new job to replace Beastmaster! Well, "new" in the sense that it's totally different, but it does technically exist already in FFTA2. The new job will be Druid, and they'll be Geomancers. The Geomancer job itself will remain, but will focus on weather and other skills instead of terrain.

The Druid has access to 21 skills, with 20 of them being based on the terrain that they're currently on. Knowing the lay of the land and the positions of your units and enemies makes this job a fair bit more tactical than the Vanilla Geomancer. Each terrain has access to 4 skills, making it far more flexible than the Gria version. Druids will retain the Beastmaster's stats, meaning that if you wish to grow certain stats, the Druid is still a viable option. Note that this job is REALLY big with a lot of new skills, so it's going to take a while to create.

Proposed Skillset:

NO TERRAIN NEEDED:
-Tame: Directly Control a monster unit.

WATER TERRAIN:
-Squelch: Restores a small amount of HP to a single unit and purges it of its debuffs.
-Aqua: Deals moderate water damage to a single unit four times, with each hit having reduced accuracy.
-Torrent: Deals minor water damage to a single unit with a chance to inflict Frog.
-Flood: Deals heavy Water damage in a large AoE.

NATURAL TERRAIN:
-Thorns: Deals minor Earth damage in a small AoE with a chance to inflict Poison.
-Charm: Inflicts Charm on a single monster unit.
-Golem: Covers allies in a small AoE until the user's next turn.
-Breeze: Deals minor Wind damage to a single unit with a chance to inflict Sleep.

ARTIFICIAL TERRAIN:
-Grease: Inflicts Oil in a large AoE.
-Trap: Sets a Sten Needle trap.
-Magnet: Draws units in a small AoE towards the user and deals 25% of current HP's worth of Dark damage to them.
-Lava Ball: Deals minor Fire damage to a single unit with a chance to inflict Death.

GRASSY TERRAIN:
-Gust: Deals moderate Wind damage to a single unit.
-Zephyr: Bestows Haste on allies and Slow on foes that are surrounding the user.
-Vine: Delays a monster unit's turn.
-Tanglevine: Deals minor non-elemental damage to a single unit with a chance to inflict Stop.

BARREN TERRAIN:
-Sirroco: Deals minor non-elemental damage in a small AoE with a chance to inflict Blind.
-Rockfall: Deals moderate Earth damage in a large AoE.
-Sol: Deals tremendous non-elemental damage in a line and leaves the user rooted next turn.
-Contort: Deals minor Earth damage to a single unit with a chance to inflict Petrify.

EDIT: And Druids (at the very least) will be able to traverse water panels, allowing them to use their water skills.

Jumza

How will anyone ever master every ability for these guys? Or will the abilities come in some sort of bundle?

Also cool idea. Where'd all this ability space come from? :o
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Eternal

There were 21 Beastmaster skills in Vanilla, one for each monster type. Fortunately, they all do the same thing, but with different targets, which I can consolidate into one skill. Thus, Tame was born. And their abilities are learned by Instruments, just as the Beastmaster skills were. Many Instruments teach more than one of these skills at a time.

Jumza

Huh, I didn't realize there were so many!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

theultrawolf

The Daemon sounds very OP o.o
Aren't Eschaton and All-Ultima (both are Divine Ultima in JP) the same ability though?
Are there even that many Ultima-esque looking abilities in the game? (I know about the weapon Ultimas and the Scion skill, but are there others?)
And isn't Grand Cross already one of the Neukhia's abilities? Or are you changing the Neukhia's abilities too?

Madeen

Love the idea of 4 skills per terrain!  Keep up the good work :)

Eternal

@Ultrawolf: The Daemon is basically a weird Red Mage for Nu Mou. They can claw things to death (melee) or they can use powerful magicks (magic), but they have quirks to using either effectively. Although Daemon can teleport, I believe their Move will be limited to 3, making it hard to enter the frontlines and effectively use their physical attacks, and in addition to that, their physical defenses will be low. Their magicks are indeed very powerful, but they require charging to be used, and their accumulated charge can be dispelled. Dispelling abilities are very common in FFTA2 GG. Eschaton and Divine Ultima are, indeed, the same ability, but they're different when the Daemon uses it. Eschaton is intended to emulate a lesser version of the Ultima Esper's ability. Neukhia is likely going to be entirely rehauled eventually.

In what was likely the most extensive job/ability edit I've done yet, the Beastmaster is now the Druid. Outlined above, the Druid has access to skills based on their existing terrain. I've found, however, that many tiles can be considered two terrain types at a time. Eitherway, they're versatile warriors who can find use on just about any party. If you can master their wide array of random effects, they can be very effective units. In addition, all Nu Mou can now enter water tiles, allowing them to use the Water terrain skills regardless of job.

http://imgur.com/a/osuGc

chocolatemoose

Any plans to mess with some of the unique jobs (Agent/Heritor/Sky Pirate/Bard/Dancer)? Or give Frimelda/Montblanc/Cid/Luso uniques?

Eternal

November 26, 2015, 08:24:20 pm #119 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:42:50 pm by Eternal
Bard and Dancer are now akin to their FFT selves, i.e, potentially very powerful. OP, possibly, even. Their skills now focus on affecting either all allies or all enemies, respectively. I want to change Agent, Heritor, and Sky Pirate, but I want to brainstorm ideas first.

Anyhow, I've finished changes to the Fencer. Although their job is still the same in name and flavor, they've been enhanced to focus on swift attacks that focus on bypassing Reactions, as well as evasion and bypassing it. Basically, they're very fast warriors whose skills are useful throughout the game. Note that I won't be creating pictures of the new skills for already existing jobs, since that's just more trouble than it's worth. :P

FENCER:
Shadowstick, Manastrike, and Piercing Blow remain from Vanilla.

En Garde: Bestows the user with Evasion Up, and grants the user Counter Reaction if it does not currently have one until next turn.

Feint: Deals normal damage to a single unit, but deals double damage to units with Reactions such as Counter, Blink Counter, etc. and bypasses those Reactions.

Engage: Damages surrounding units and bypasses their Reactions.

Reprise: Deals up to four hits of damage. The first hit has perfect accuracy, the second has normal accuracy, the third has 50% accuracy, and the final hit has 25% accuracy. Each hit deals 50% damage.

Retreat: Deals damage to an adjacent unit and immediately renders the user Invisible. May be potentially very broken. I forget how the AI acts with Vanish'd units. I'll need to do some testing, but in the meantime, it stays! Because it's cool.

EDIT: Retreat now attacks an adjacent unit and makes the user teleport to a random location. Because that's equally cool.