• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:50:04 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Otabo

Quote from: Rouroni Elmdor on February 20, 2014, 08:57:20 am
a lot to note of a lot of teams, but i'll focus on one, the weirdest of them all of course!

i will start by mentioning that i generally disapprove of any team that starts with a defensive objective, however, despite "i will make a team that can tank anything" usually being not such a great idea, there is potential for a seriously strong team. i saw that quickening squire got a repel knife, good call. she's still somewhat awkward in my opinion, but now her 16 speed actually MEANS something. good job. the pally, though not bad, would probably be more effective as a monk. he doesn't really do damage, which is fine his job is to tank, but so is everybody else on your team. at least with a chakra band you'll be able to cover as many statuses if not more, and martial arts can give you a decent chakra (which u need badly) and you can actually dish out some damage. i like your team, oddly as it posses things i generally don't like, just needs.... damage.. or a frog or petrify or something lethal. yes, your team uses death sentence, however cursed ring, the most commonly used item in the game, nulls that. on a team that has a "tank anything" basis, this should definitely be addressed. i suggest raise 2 for obvious reasons. please don't delete them! i wanna see them become something scary, because it's weird, different and potentially very effective.

Edit: I'm sorry if i'm coming off as rude, that's not my intention. I actually love your team and would steals them in a heartbeat! Your paladin is perfectly fine and as matches have shown, a crucial part of your strategy. I just think that jp usage is more efficient on a monk while fulfilling the same role. oddly enough, being a monk actually FREES up some equip for you, quite a rarity. While revive, stigma magic and secret fist are all conveniently there so you can do other things with your secondary. focusing on hp restoration instead of evade and opening a new doorway to your offence is crucial to making it the versatile, tanky team as intended. 

-- 3 reasons why i don't like refute --

1. Low chance to hit. comparatively to other status removal, refute has a very low chance to hit. in some cases where a stigma magic would do the trick, a refute is used and missed and CT5Holy gets sad.

2. Can target enemies. Seems an odd reason to not like it, but it will target haste, making it probably the first thing your unit will do. every time a refute is used to remove haste, a slow 2 hits 3 units and reminds us how fragile we all are. though i'm not against using refute for the purpose of removing an enemies' buff, but i think of how i want my team to behave in the first 3 rounds or so (after that all bets are off) and refute generally doesn't make the cut of things i want to happen. just make sure chaos blade, refute or dispel is a crucial and functioning part of your strategy. refute is not a willy-nilly ability.

3. will remove positive buffs. well yeah. she got rid of poison but i'll have to waste another turn hasting you. if you use masamune (or anything with positive buffs for that matter) do yourself a favor and don't use refute. stigma magic, esuna is just fine.

4. It cancels charging/singing & dancing. Worst part about that is that AI targets your own units that happen to be charging or singing/dancing. Which is just silly.

Seeing this, I sorta kinda miss seeing Deathspell 2/Dispel 2. Or whatever that spell was called that cancelled positive statuses in an AoE.

Elmdork

February 20, 2014, 02:57:36 pm #3002 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:27:13 pm by Rouroni Elmdor
great tunes, as always! Thanks TrueLight!

those lores... could be tanked by the squishiest of summoners. if they were scholars or bards or something with some MA, you'd be looking at dead paladins. given the frequency of lore that goes off, it just needs power to put teams into defense mode

@otabo

i actually consider sing/charge cancel among the beneficial qualities of refute. in the right circumstance, you can get a dancer to stop her (literal) spiral out of control no mp dance. refute is a key that allows certain things like death sentence removal to happen. it's not a bad ability, but there is a place for it, and there are places where other status removal is better. the latter is usually more likely.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

ShadowDragon15

February 20, 2014, 03:38:38 pm #3003 Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:02:00 pm by ShadowDragon15
My idea for One Man Show was to send off low powered lores to continue feeding my "One Man" because he has speed save. I didn't believe that speed save would trigger if the unit absorbed that damage, so I wanted it to be low. giving my speed saver 25/50/75 CT every so often would continue giving him turns. an alternative to just raising his speed with quickening/cheer song. It was just an experiment I thought of trying.

For this reason, I used jobs that had low MA to begin with, and I made them not move just so that they would only spam lores. and then gave the Monk quickening, just to use at the beginning just in case. Looking at how they function, I am almost tempted to try the same thing, but with the monk being a Phoenix blade user, instead. give him massive PA, quickening, and chakra to fuel himself.

It was just a thought that I deemed worth trying.

However, if I do manage to make a working phoenix blade set-up, then it's depending on the results if I scrap the idea or not.
Strategy is just magical.

Barren

Quote from: ShadowDragon15 on February 20, 2014, 03:38:38 pm
My idea for One Man Show was to send off low powered lores to continue feeding my "One Man" because he has speed save. I didn't believe that speed save would trigger if the unit absorbed that damage, so I wanted it to be low. giving my speed saver 25/50/75 CT every so often would continue giving him turns. an alternative to just raising his speed with quickening/cheer song. It was just an experiment I thought of trying.

For this reason, I used jobs that had low MA to begin with, and I made them not move just so that they would only spam lores. and then gave the Monk quickening, just to use at the beginning just in case. Looking at how they function, I am almost tempted to try the same thing, but with the monk being a Phoenix blade user, instead. give him massive PA, quickening, and chakra to fuel himself.

It was just a thought that I deemed worth trying.

However, if I do manage to make a working phoenix blade set-up, then it's depending on the results if I scrap the idea or not.

(I don't think this needs to be in a spoiler)

I can see where you were going with this idea. Your monk does do impressive damage on his own. But the problems are that the monk on his own can't really win in a 4 on 1 situation because there's always a good chance that your opponents has ways to recover from a one man beat down despite constant speed saves. Especially if its against a team that hits just as hard like mine you just fought.

Dol tried something similar with speed save back then with the two chemists and squires having low damage lores triggering speed save. Of course that was before speed save was nerfed in arena. And that didn't work because once the units go down unless you got good resurrection power you'll find yourself in a bad spot and you'll just lose in mere seconds. That's what happened her even though it just took longer because of the AI derping around. Plus Genji Armor and Iron Boots do pretty much the same thing except Genji Armor adds HP/MP.

Lore spammers are designed to pretty much keep each other live while heavily damaging the enemy. Like Angelus' SCC team or reinoe's Short Circuit. You can get away with triggering speed save as long as you have the lore spammers being able to keep the pressure on and being able to defend themselves too. Your lancers even with the octagon rods were no threat whatsoever because my Axe team does have ways to get get of frog (as I'm sure most other teams do too) and that because the lores were so weak that auto potion, and any other x save can counter that no problem. And that accomplishes pretty much nothing.

I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk a little bit that its just my insight on your team. Interesting idea but wasn't well executed. I think that also because of the axe's random damage that you didn't really stand much of a chance anyways. Maybe you might want to rework that team so it can be more of a offensive threat. Perhaps getting rid of the ninja and have a second monk with speed save while having the lore spammers with absorb mp may be better for you because honestly man its going to take more than one PA heavy monk to put enemies on the defensive. Hope this helps and maybe next time you'll have a better chance of winning 

You dare cross blades with me?

silentkaster

I don't think the Phoenix Blade will help this team ShadowDragon. Remember, always slow. Yeah, CT save would help, but it will go off only less than 2 out of 3 times on average. Your PB user will reraise with minimal HP, run in a corner, and will likely get one shotted. Or hell, it might die to your team's low damage lores! Also, your low damage lores are triggering enemy reactions like PA save, MA save, CT save, Auto Potion and the like. Thats a potential four to one in their favor...ouch.

It didn't help that you were up against Barren who has phenomenal teams in general, but I don't this idea has much potential for the AI. There are too many variables. Hell, even a passive buff like Regen could be a variable in that the AI might know it can't do enough damage if the enemies have regen up and may choose to do nothing. CT save is more appropriate on a unit like a concentrated Battle Axe user or a Talk Skill user with high MA trying to disrupt the enemy. If you do try this again, I suggest as Barren said having two units and making them 12 speed...like archers with concentrate who can heal each other from status. At least they'll get back up quickly from cursed ring kills and your team will be an effective three on four against 8 speed teams. Also, try a thief hat with earth dragon combo maybe? The difference between 10 damage lores and 30 damage lores against your enemy could be the extra push you need, while still doing minimal damage to your speed save units.

These are just my thoughts of course :)
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

reinoe

Ignore the naysayers shadowdragon!   :D You never know what you can inspire.

I've had a similar team bouncing around in my head for nearly a year and now I'm posting it for fun!  I'm dedicating the team to you btw...

Primary Palette= #0 Black
Second Palette= #6 Yellow

The Cheese
Male
Taurus
Squire
Chivalry
Speed Save
Attack UP

Phoenix Blade
Genji Shield
Flash Hat
White Robe
Battle Boots

Throw Stone, Heal, Wish, Accumulate
Iron Will, Southern Cross

Stands Alone
Female
Aquarius
Priest
Lore
Distribute
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Mace of Zeus

Golden Hairpin
Santa Outfit
Magic Gauntlet

Raise, Regen, Esuna, Holy
Thunder Flare

We Fuel
Female
Aquarius
Samurai
Lore
Absorb MP
Magic Attack UP
Move=0
Masamune

Circlet
Black Robe
Jade Armlet

Asura, Murasame, Masamune
Mad Science, Rime Bolt, Bio 2

Speed Save
Female
Aquarius
Samurai
Lore
Absorb MP
Magic Attack UP
Move=0
Masamune

Circlet
Black Robe
Jade Armlet

Requesting a matchup vs "Barons of Barren"!  Two tribute teams duking it out!
My dreams can come true!

Barren

I can do some more matches this weekend so reinoe I'll take care of your request. And hopefully shadowdragon gets my PM too because I want to help the guy out
You dare cross blades with me?

Elmdork

Quote from: reinoe on February 20, 2014, 11:36:14 pm
Ignore the naysayers shadowdragon!   :D You never know what you can inspire.

I've had a similar team bouncing around in my head for nearly a year and now I'm posting it for fun!  I'm dedicating the team to you btw...

Primary Palette= #0 Black
Second Palette= #6 Yellow

The Cheese
Male
Taurus
Squire
Chivalry
Speed Save
Attack UP

Phoenix Blade
Genji Shield
Flash Hat
White Robe
Battle Boots

Throw Stone, Heal, Wish, Accumulate
Iron Will, Southern Cross

Stands Alone
Female
Aquarius
Priest
Lore
Distribute
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Mace of Zeus

Golden Hairpin
Santa Outfit
Magic Gauntlet

Raise, Regen, Esuna, Holy
Thunder Flare

We Fuel
Female
Aquarius
Samurai
Lore
Absorb MP
Magic Attack UP
Move=0
Masamune

Circlet
Black Robe
Jade Armlet

Speed Save
Female
Aquarius
Samurai
Lore
Absorb MP
Magic Attack UP
Move=0
Masamune

Circlet
Black Robe
Jade Armlet

Requesting a matchup vs "Barons of Barren"!  Two tribute teams duking it out!

lol awesome. inspiration can come from anywhere, and i'm curious to see how it works out. the best team i know of that utilizes a full cursed ring/phoenix blade setup is otabo's last hurrah

Last Hurrah

- Self-resurrection is the name of the game. With a little hocus pocus thrown in there now.

Palettes: White, Blue

Leaper
Male
Virgo
Monk
Jump
Chrono Trigger
Equip Polearm
Warpath
Javelin

Chakra Band
Secret Clothes
Cursed Ring

Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
L. Jump 6, V. Jump 8

Hopper
Male
Virgo
Monk
Jump
Chrono Trigger
Equip Polearm
Warpath
Javelin

Chakra Band
Secret Clothes
Cursed Ring

Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
L. Jump 6, V. Jump 8

Dark Shock
Male
Virgo
Paladin
Time Magic
Critical Quick
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Phoenix Blade
Zephyr Shield
Cross Helmet
Diamond Armor
Sprint Shoes

Slow 2, Balance

Light Sting
Male
Virgo
Paladin
Time Magic
Critical Quick
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Phoenix Blade
Zephyr Shield
Cross Helmet
Diamond Armor
Sprint Shoes

Slow 2, Balance

though i never mentioned it, the existence of this team made me feel compelled to delete my original team which had similar concepts but was executed much better by otabo. that's the word of the day, execution. i can buy all the same ingredients for a lasagna as gordon ramsay, but his expertise allows a better execution and tastes 1000 times better than mine. you may buy fish and rice, slap it together and call it sushi, but it is not. only with the expertise of a master can it be called sushi. just having the abilities is never enough. down to the faith/fury you assign, the smallest details in jp usage and equip synergy is what decides a match between titans.

ShadowDragon15

February 21, 2014, 10:33:26 am #3009 Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:56:25 am by ShadowDragon15
Yes Reinoe! I have many many crazy ideas, and I'm just trying to work time into thinking how I can make them "Execute!", as Rouroni says. Most of my ideas won't work, I've accepted that fact. I'm stil trying, and hopefully I, myself, shall be an inspiration, or that spark, for that any novice, journeyman, expert, or master that comes across my work. Power to imagination!

But seriously, I probably can't fix up this Speed Save team to execute more efficiently than any other teams I've created. I won't try to fix it up, but I'll leave it out there until I decide otherwise. Enjoy!

As for execution, I'm currently sending Otabo and Barren a team that I hope, performs much better, with more execution. I name thee Double-Prong.

Also, I must really get to a second computer soon... I need to update my Team Submissions, so that I don't have to send them in PMs to the video creators. It gets confusing. It shouldn't be too long, though.

Elmdork

February 21, 2014, 10:48:03 am #3010 Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:31:12 pm by Rouroni Elmdor
woah, buddy. i wouldn't go that far. as far as behavior goes, they were awesome. i think by using offset lores to constantly heal the monk would actually be pretty powerful while making enemy teams cower in fear of the lethal 200+ wave fist. they just need MA and absorb, keep the speeds about the same and you'll see victories with that team. one thing you can always count on: the enemy will always try to kill you. speed save is a way to take advantage of that, and you'll get more mileage if your monk is constantly healed while enemies are suffering constant aoe and prob going into heal mode. 

speaking of inspiration, here's an idea i've had on the backburner and my hat in the ring

blue/yellow

Am I doing this right?
Female
virgo
scholar
summon magic
mp restore
two swords
jump +1
dragon rod
fire rod
golden hairpin
black costume
red shoes
bio 3, mad science
moogle, fairy, carbunkle

Divided by zero
male
pisces
ninja
chivalry
abandon
equip heavy blade
move hp up
murasame
murasame
twist headband
brigandine
feather mantle
kagesougi
nurse

I like dead things
female
oracle
white magic
counter
magic defend up
move mp up
necronomicon
black hood
white robe
108 gems
silence song
raise 2, cure 2, esuna, wall

Shut up they're watching
male
pisces
scholar
time magic

two swords
move mp up
ice rod
dragon rod
golden hairpin
black costume
red shoes
bio 3
haste 2, slow 2

ShadowDragon15

I'm getting help from Barren with One Man Show, and I haven't given up hope. One thing I am seriously confused about though, is that if the monk is absorbing the lores, will Speed Save still trigger?

Elmdork

no, i don't believe so, but think about it. you have 3 units at  starting position and a lone monk walking forward. he's gonna have to tank 4 hits each round and still have the will to fight. high damage lores with absorb will give him a chance. 4 hits is 100 ct if speed save goes off every time, not likely, but do you really need more?

ShadowDragon15

I'd probably change the Monk into a geomancer, give him the battle axe, or an ancient sword, and then have some way for him to absorb two elements...

reinoe

Quote from: ShadowDragon15 on February 21, 2014, 11:16:57 am
I'd probably change the Monk into a geomancer, give him the battle axe, or an ancient sword, and then have some way for him to absorb two elements...

Well, keep in mind if he's absorbing the elements he won't get Speed Save.  But I'll not comment because Barren is a much better team builder than I am.  If he's helping you then the team will improve.  If the idea is unworkable after a few revisions he'll know.

Good luck!
My dreams can come true!

ShadowDragon15

I don't mind at all if One Man Show loses the speed save idea, I don't mind at all. If I were to start making revisions, the monk would lose it to to a reaction that causes damage. change the lancers and the ninja to scholars and oracles. I just think that having a geomancer will be able to have better equips more fit to absorb two elements. and doing this while not losing his support ability. in addition, a petrify or an auto-kill would be a nice addition. But I am sure Barren will see these thoughts of mine, and still be a huge help.

ShadowDragon15

Well i was happy with the 180+ bio 3, anybody else?

Malroth

meh bio 3 is ludicriously strong 180 is pretty close to its minimum unboosted power from its classes default stats,  I've had bio3 users in teams with bards top 300 damage before.

Otabo