• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:23:28 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

WOTL: Changing Jobs and Job Level Unlocks for Ramza and Warriors' Guild

Started by bryanburke, December 26, 2013, 11:55:45 pm

bryanburke

So, I'm new to the site but have been researching quite a bit lately in an attempt to make my own WOTL patch. I am able to do 99% of what I want in FFTPatcher. However, there are some things which apparently must be patched manually, such as the starting jobs and job level unlocks for Ramza and generics from the Warriors' Guild. I opened up the WOTL ISO in a hex editor and searched for the hex string "9DBAD013", which represents Ramza's starting equipment at the beginning of the game. I found this string at 3 different offsets: 0x28124D, 0x2C74969, and 0x1014924D. Now, what I can't find are the offsets of the following:

- Ramza's starting job
- Ramza's unlocked job
- Ramza's unlocked job level
- Male warrior's starting job
- Male warrior's unlocked job
- Male warrior's unlocked job level
- Female warrior's starting job
- Female warrior's unlocked job
- Female warrior's unlocked job level

Please note that I am not interested in the PSX version, only the PSP one. Also, I already know how to change the above variables for the rest of the starting characters and story characters in the ENTD section of FFTPatcher. Thanks in advance!

Bryan Burke
  • Modding version: PSX
Algus sucks.

bryanburke

I hate to reply to myself here, but I would like to report that the stats and equipment values for Ramza (ch. 1) and Warriors' Guild units are stored in the exact same way in both the PSX and PSP versions. It's entirely likely, then, that the jobs and unlock levels are the same as well. If anyone knows what the offsets are for the US PSX version, I can probably find the same data in the WOTL ISO. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Algus sucks.

RavenOfRazgriz

You can't edit the Starting Job or Unlocked Job for Ramza or units from the Soldier Office in the PSX version.  At least, you can't in some simple way similar to editing those settings in an ENTD without them having repercussions beyond those units you set it for.  In short, there is no easy offset to change and have it take effect the way you want.

It would require more complex ASM hacking that would likely no longer be compatible between the PSX and PSP because War of the Lions is structured to be an emulated Japanese PSX ISO meaning all the data is in different spots, as you're likely aware of by now.

bryanburke

Thank you for the information, Raven. I know the data is stored in different places between the two versions, but I was hoping it was known where at least the job unlock flags were stored for Ramza and the Guild. For other units, the flags are stored in the sequence "UnlockedJob UnlockedLevels StartingJob". UnlockedJobs is zero-indexed, so for a generic Squire with 1 Chemist level unlocked the sequence is "01 01 4A". This data is accessible via ENTD. For Ramza and the Guild, though, an ASM routine likely hardcodes these values. Even so, the instruction that sets, for example, the unlocked job for Ramza would have to access a "01" (if zero-indexed as above) or a "4B" somewhere in the game's data, wouldn't it?
Algus sucks.

bryanburke

Well, my research has hit a brick wall. If I had more knowledge of and experience with ASM and debugging, I might be able to identify the instruction that sets Ramza's and generics' job level unlocks and do some testing. As it stands, however, I will just have to settle with modifying job requirements in my patch to achieve some of the results I wanted. I am marking this thread as solved so it won't get any more unnecessary attention.
Algus sucks.