Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: January 15, 2018, 10:46:41 PM 
Started by arbi - Last post by arbi

oh, getting EC to open charge menu was a clever thing. by the way have you tried unflagging the Used by AI box for charge ability? i understand that doing this can hurt the AI/NPC but the AI tends to use charge 90% of the time with the other 10% being the use of a diferent skill to inflict a status, to heal an ally unit or a normal attack to kill a unit with critical HP.
archers may be affected a lot if you remove charge for them but it should be fine if you can give them a diferent skillset and move charge to another job such as squire. and i dont know if you have noticed but have you seen the amount of archer npcs in ENTD? its ridiculous! it goes like 50% archers, 30% knights, 10% monks and the remaining 10% other jobs.

so.. the only thing i dont get is how are you unlocking stronger versions of charge? are they automatically unlocked? or what job+skillset are you using for it? if you give archers a separate skillset then you wont be able to level charge unless you move it to another job.
 i could be wrong but you cant mix charge with other abilities because charge is a harcoded command like jump, add a normal ability to any of those skillsets and bad stuff will happen.

I did try unchecking "used by ai" but the AI still tried to use the attacks and it ended up with them not doing anything and skipping their turns. I'll try the EC hack and see if it works, and if not I'll take a blank skillset and make an Archer NPC class. Also I currently have Charge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, and 20 free to all playable classes in the menu (JP set to 0, learn to 100).

I'm doing all my testing in the Goug fight where you save Mustadio and there are 2 thieves, 2 archers, 2 summoners, so I've seen some of the new magics and mechanics in play. No archer has tried to use any charge >5, so the change doesn't seem to matter as they won't suicide. For players, utilizing CT in clever and effective ways is a core element of the tactical combat of FFT which I don't want to abandon. Charge 10 and 20 will still be impractical if not built around. If they are built around they should be useful and satisfying.

Also I'll update the changelog with the item changes today.

on: January 15, 2018, 10:24:47 PM 
Started by arbi - Last post by Aiolon
1.) The patch is going to be a complete rebalance, but it will not be radically different than FFT vanilla, or at least that is not the intent. I am working on items and shops today and once I get bored/find a good stopping point I'll update the change log to reflect that. Scenes are going to be edited here and there, as well as some storyline battles, and various un/underexplored mechanics will be further touched upon in this patch (poaching, stealing, soldier office, exclusivity of magic items, etc.). I do not want to significantly alter the story in any way or make it into a fan-fic. I want this patch to be accessible to new FFT players and returning players who want a fresh gameplay experience.
i see i see. i asked this because your introduction post only mentioned job related stuff so far. by the way if its your first patch i wish you good luck, that item editing can be extremely time consuming if you plan to modify all items.

2.) The learn on hit is as intended right now. I haven't played around with it in game yet, but I feel the high level magics should both A.) not be tossed at the player every battle because they are stronger and with larger AoEs now (to match their animations) and B.) be an accomplishment to get for free. To me, it's fine that not every Wizard hits your party with Flare/Tornado/Quake when you see them because this could easily get frustrating. The other combat magic abilities have had their damage and/or utility increased so they will not be negligible anymore when used against the player.
okay i sill think the chance for this to happen its going to be a very rare event but i get what you are trying to do.

3.) Player characters will have the charge option as part of their default command list: Move, Act (Attack, 2 job commands, Charge, Defend), wait, status, and auto battle. I find the Charge command to be a lot of fun and not without purpose, so I did not want to completely remove it as other patches have. It is true though that mechanically, they are just stronger versions of normal attacks, so I did not see a reason why players should not have the option to use them. When I replaced attack with the charge command it did create AI issues, but when I replaced Equip Change with Charge the AI no longer had those issues and the player had access to charge skills.

oh, getting EC to open charge menu was a clever thing. by the way have you tried unflagging the Used by AI box for charge ability? i understand that doing this can hurt the AI/NPC but the AI tends to use charge 90% of the time with the other 10% being the use of a diferent skill to inflict a status, to heal an ally unit or a normal attack to kill a unit with critical HP.
archers may be affected a lot if you remove charge for them but it should be fine if you can give them a diferent skillset and move charge to another job such as squire. and i dont know if you have noticed but have you seen the amount of archer npcs in ENTD? its ridiculous! it goes like 50% archers, 30% knights, 10% monks and the remaining 10% other jobs.

so.. the only thing i dont get is how are you unlocking stronger versions of charge? are they automatically unlocked? or what job+skillset are you using for it? if you give archers a separate skillset then you wont be able to level charge unless you move it to another job.
 i could be wrong but you cant mix charge with other abilities because charge is a harcoded command like jump, add a normal ability to any of those skillsets and bad stuff will happen.

on: January 15, 2018, 09:28:35 PM 
okay so last night i wrote an entire post of questions and comments but logging limit kicked me out before i could post so RIP my post. i will go to the point this time.

1. is your patch only a small rebalance and skillset changes to jobs? nothing else diferent? items? ENTD? mechanics?

2. your Learn on hit for high magic level looks like its not going to work, i dont know if you are aware of this but learn % affects 3 things: 1- the chance for a random unit to learn an ability assuming it has enough JP left for it. 2- Chance to learn said ability from crystals (ak units shiny rotten corpses). and 3- chance to learn an ability on hit. the problem comes when you realize that for this sceneraio to happen (i assume high level abilities are going to be over 400JP+) theres going to be only 20% chance for a random unit to learn the ability as long as you give it enough JP and theres also only 20% chance for your units to learn that ability, that means this can be very frustrating, rare and time consuming and it looks like it can be an exploit since you can simply have your Unit A level 6 wizard cast flare on your unit B level 1 wizard several times until it learns it.

3. i cant really understand what you tried to do with charge + auto attack (so auto attack = attack command?) if this is what you intend to do then i'd like to see how it works because i can imagine lots of glitches involving AI and CT management, also arent units using a charge command vulnerable to attacks? no evasion and aditional damage taken. im very confused.

1.) The patch is going to be a complete rebalance, but it will not be radically different than FFT vanilla, or at least that is not the intent. I am working on items and shops today and once I get bored/find a good stopping point I'll update the change log to reflect that. Scenes are going to be edited here and there, as well as some storyline battles, and various un/underexplored mechanics will be further touched upon in this patch (poaching, stealing, soldier office, exclusivity of magic items, etc.). I do not want to significantly alter the story in any way or make it into a fan-fic. I want this patch to be accessible to new FFT players and returning players who want a fresh gameplay experience.

2.) The learn on hit is as intended right now. I haven't played around with it in game yet, but I feel the high level magics should both A.) not be tossed at the player every battle because they are stronger and with larger AoEs now (to match their animations) and B.) be an accomplishment to get for free. To me, it's fine that not every Wizard hits your party with Flare/Tornado/Quake when you see them because this could easily get frustrating. The other combat magic abilities have had their damage and/or utility increased so they will not be negligible anymore when used against the player.

3.) Player characters will have the charge option as part of their default command list: Move, Act (Attack, 2 job commands, Charge, Defend), wait, status, and auto battle. I find the Charge command to be a lot of fun and not without purpose, so I did not want to completely remove it as other patches have. It is true though that mechanically, they are just stronger versions of normal attacks, so I did not see a reason why players should not have the option to use them. When I replaced attack with the charge command it did create AI issues, but when I replaced Equip Change with Charge the AI no longer had those issues and the player had access to charge skills.

I haven't tried giving this new command to the AI, but if it creates problems I don't see why it can't be a player-only thing. In turn, the archer will get some new stuff and if the AI can't use the EC fix, NPC archers will have a separate archer skillset with a mix of charges and new skills.

on: January 15, 2018, 08:16:37 PM 
Started by arbi - Last post by Aiolon
okay so last night i wrote an entire post of questions and comments but logging limit kicked me out before i could post so RIP my post. i will go to the point this time.

1. is your patch only a small rebalance and skillset changes to jobs? nothing else diferent? items? ENTD? mechanics?

2. your Learn on hit for high magic level looks like its not going to work, i dont know if you are aware of this but learn % affects 3 things: 1- the chance for a random unit to learn an ability assuming it has enough JP left for it. 2- Chance to learn said ability from crystals (ak units shiny rotten corpses). and 3- chance to learn an ability on hit. the problem comes when you realize that for this sceneraio to happen (i assume high level abilities are going to be over 400JP+) theres going to be only 20% chance for a random unit to learn the ability as long as you give it enough JP and theres also only 20% chance for your units to learn that ability, that means this can be very frustrating, rare and time consuming and it looks like it can be an exploit since you can simply have your Unit A level 6 wizard cast flare on your unit B level 1 wizard several times until it learns it.

3. i cant really understand what you tried to do with charge + auto attack (so auto attack = attack command?) if this is what you intend to do then i'd like to see how it works because i can imagine lots of glitches involving AI and CT management, also arent units using a charge command vulnerable to attacks? no evasion and aditional damage taken. im very confused.

on: January 15, 2018, 05:07:05 PM 
Started by lepiton - Last post by Baron Samedi
I'll third the enemy editor idea. As cool as it would be to edit quests, I think being able to edit enemy equipment and abilities will have a much greater impact in most hacks. One of the most frustrating things about A2 hacking is how pathetic most of the enemies in the game are. Almost none of them have more than 2 or 3 skills and they mostly have garbage equipment making stealing and breaking enemy hear useless. In addition, some enemy jobs are so rare to fight against, they're practically player only.

This editor would solve all three problems at the same time, and would even allow hackers to make a true 'hard-type' hack for players who know the game inside and out and just want a challenge.

Really looking forward to seeing how this progresses, thanks for putting the effort in!

on: January 15, 2018, 12:37:27 PM 
Started by Cheetah - Last post by Elric
Sorry for necroposting. I have some questions.
1.Ability quote always goes away right after the last letter pops up, so I can't read the whole text. I wonder if anyone know how to fix this.
2.It is not like this in FFT vanilla, right? I kinda remember that ability quote will not go away if I did not press O.

Sorry about my English that might make you confuse and thank you too. :D

Correct, because they made it close on its own, without testing to see how it looked in game lol. They needed to put delays in there and didnt :P

on: January 15, 2018, 07:07:03 AM 
Started by Cheetah - Last post by estoniesta
Sorry for necroposting. I have some questions.
1.Ability quote always goes away right after the last letter pops up, so I can't read the whole text. I wonder if anyone know how to fix this.
2.It is not like this in FFT vanilla, right? I kinda remember that ability quote will not go away if I did not press O.

Sorry about my English that might make you confuse and thank you too. :D

on: January 15, 2018, 02:59:11 AM 
Hey, thanks for responding c:

I've already implemented these changes, but I haven't posted the patch. There are actually a lot more changes than this that I've been working on, but I got tired of the post timing out so I haven't updated the changelog yet. I haven't linked the patch because I haven't edited all the text for the corresponding skill changes and feel like it'd be ugly to put out before then.

Right now I'm working on changing regular auto attacks to use Charge. After lots of trial and error I got auto attacks to use the charge menu for players so I don't have to abandon the charge mechanic to buff archers (it's just a stronger auto anyways), but now NPCs occasionally skip their turn. Archers still use their version of charge normally (testing in Goug Mustadio fight).

A happy consequence is that the AI uses their skills much more often, making them indirectly more challenging. I hypothesize one way to avoid this problem is to create an NPC only skill that is just a normal auto attack or make sure every human class has at least one damaging skill, so the aggressive AIs can always attack.

I feel there is something easier I'm overlooking.

EDIT: I figured out a better workaround. I wanted to use Attack since it seemed to make sense but this caused NPCs without the Charge skillset to use auto attacks that were canceled as soon as they confirmed them. The Skillset Behaviors spreadsheet allows you to also change the behavior of Defend and Equip Change and since everyone can learn them as supports and use them innately, one of them can be changed to accomplish the same thing. I tested it out with Defend, but choosing between the two I think I'll scrap Equip Change (especially since it glitches out NPC AI anyways) and make Defense innate.

Having access to Charge indirectly buffs Defense too, making the 2x evasion extra worthwhile versus charged autos. On a side note: Getting a lot of mileage out of Defend + Counter Flood.

on: January 14, 2018, 08:48:22 PM 
Started by arbi - Last post by Elric
Have you already implemented these changes or this is just what you are planning to do?

on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:21 AM 
Started by FinalfantasyFan - Last post by FinalfantasyFan
Hey, im playing FFTA on a GBA emulator and i was wondering if there is a way for me to somehow hack the game or put in a cheat for me to be able to have Ritz in my party (in the start). I have seen people add different characters to their party through hacks but i dont know how complicated that is.
thanks in advance!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10