• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Sprite Sheet types

Started by paradoxf, May 21, 2015, 12:03:51 pm

paradoxf

Yo, I hope someone here with sprite experience can help answer this question.

From the custom sprites list, there are normally two FFT-type sheets: 1 and 2. 1 looks like a more complete version than 2. How do you convert a type 2 into a type 1 sheet? Is there a pattern that can be followed to facilitate the transition? Type 2 is outdated compared to type 1 animation-wise hence the question. 

Jumza

I don't think it's that one is more -updated- than the other, they just have slightly different animations. You'll notice that units that have animations that involve a lot of casting (such as wizard, summoner, time mage, priest, Ovelia, Alma etc) are type 2, they hold both hands up while casting spells, and probably a few other different things. Type 1 sprites often are more physically oriented units (Ramza, knight, monk, squire etc) they only hold up one hand while casting, and again probably a few other different things.

I don't believe that anyone has ever switched a type 1 to type 2 because there was never a need to do so (ShiShi allows you to change the slots setting, rather than having to match it with the original).
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

paradoxf

Thanks for the clarification. This wasn't explained to me beforehand so it's good to know that both of these types are not broken. If sheet format can be adjusted programwise, then the possibilities will really open up. I can explain it through PM if you like Jumza.

Kaijyuu

A converter between the two would be nice, assuming it's feasible. There are some custom sprites in the sprites section I feel have an inappropriate animation type.

3lric

The sheet format cannot be (by any means) easily changed. This has been attempted by the best we have, and I can tell you that that's not going to change anytime soon.

Kaijyuu, I'm not even sure what you are talking about... There is very little in terms of differences in TYPE 1/2, aside from several small things as well as the Arms. A converter cannot exist because it would have to change the appearance of some frames.

Kagebunji

Converter doesn't even need to exist in the first place. You have ShiShi to set the types for you if needed, and changing Type 2 s[rite into Type 1 manually seems like a heavilly needless labor :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Kaijyuu

Quote from: Elric on May 26, 2015, 06:55:54 amA converter cannot exist because it would have to change the appearance of some frames.

Ah, gotcha. Thought that might be the case. I was hoping the differences between the sheets were something that could be automatically switched between by a computer, but alas.

And yeah the small things like the arms were what bothered me. The caster-type sword swing animation looks weird if I'm imagining the character as a more physical fighter.