• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Specific color palettes

Started by Xifanie, February 18, 2010, 10:29:22 am

Xifanie

February 18, 2010, 10:29:22 am Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 06:01:11 pm by FFMaster
The idea is quite simple. I want a specific color for each palette for every generic unit (male/female). Those palettes will be used in tournaments like S4 (if there is one) and FFT: Arena. Currently the colors of the teams are unvaried, and often confusing because while on the same palette numbers, some teams have units of completely different colors. This way it would be way easier to follow the matches.

#1 Black
#2 Blue
#3 Red
#4 Green
#5 White
#6 Purple
#7 Yellow
#8 Brown

Those have to be the main colors of the unit.
I tried to select colors that were already used mostly with each palette (for #2 to #5). Using my hack we can use all the palettes. I think the colors are varied enough and had enough trouble finding a 8th color. I tried teal but it was way too close to blue.

(I removed the example)

List of completed sprites
http://www.ffhacktics.com/wiki/Arena_palettes
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

It's a very good idea. Iron out what the inal 8 colors are and then people can start volunteering to do different jobs/sprites.

Maybe gray for the last color?
Current Projects:

mav

I was planning on doing the same thing, but never got around to it. I have a mockup of a thief wearing black with white pants and another wearing brown with greyish pants too, but your sprites look fine. Your program makes this a quick and easy process, so if you want help count me in.

Xifanie

I was just a quick example I made :P

Quote from: "Cheetah"It's a very good idea. Iron out what the inal 8 colors are and then people can start volunteering to do different jobs/sprites.
look in the first post? Been there all along.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Kagebunji

Yellow and White are saturated, but it is a quick, rough example, so no surprise i is. And I double Cheetah suggestion, Grey for last one.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

wicked1one11!!

Gave male squire a quick try, I know I'm not great or anything but still better then nothing xD

If you think they're good enough I'll start doing other classes
Also skipped brown/red/blue/green since he already has those palette's in the game

mav

Repost it in the right size, fix the skin tones on the first two sprites. I'll post a couple when I get home tonight.

mav

February 19, 2010, 06:27:45 pm #7 Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:17:36 pm by mav
Possible thief fixes for the black, white, yellow, and brown male Thief. There wasn't anything wrong with the black or brown ones, but the black one needed some variance (though the bluish boots may be overkill) and although the brown one looked wicked, it looked more maroon/red than brown to me. These are just suggestions though--I'll start working on other characters tonight.
[attachment=1:2gx8nd98]newthiefpalettes.png[/attachment:2gx8nd98]

EDIT: Here are a few male Knight palettes too:
[attachment=0:2gx8nd98]newknightpalettes.png[/attachment:2gx8nd98]

Xifanie

Nice, I'm really looking forward to them. :)

That golden thief looks wicked.

mav

Alright, I quickly created some male Ninja palettes. I'll use your program to insert them some time tomorrow--unless people have suggestions on what to fix.

Cheetah

Great color selection Mav. My only suggestion would be to standardize not only the main color but also the secondary color of each palette. Like for your thief you have black and gray, but for the knight you have black and red. Some sprites even have a third color that isn't tied to their skin tone and hair color (hair color and skin tone you likely shouldn't mess with because that might be hard to keep consistent through all the jobs). In fact Archer, Knight, and Ninja all have three colors that it would be great were consistent. Maybe I'm wrong and that is too much, but it is something to think about.
Current Projects:

jimmyjw88

Yeah, that gold thief looks wicked ^^
Good job.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Kagebunji

I like those palettes Mav, just tell me where did you get that black that is on Knight's cape, I wanna use it to something.

mav

Quote from: "Cheetah"Great color selection Mav. My only suggestion would be to standardize not only the main color but also the secondary color of each palette.
Great point--it's something I've been thinking about too. So before I go any further, why don't we come up with two secondary colors to use on the sprite. For example:
    #1 Black, with white and light blue secondary
    #2 Blue, with yellow and green secondary
    #3 Red, with black, and white secondary
    #4 Green, with beige and brown secondary
    #5 White, with magenta and purple secondary
    #6 Purple, with beige and white secondary
    #7 Yellow, with blue and brown secondary
    #8 Brown, with green and white secondary
The only reason I didn't do this from the beginning is because it may necessitate redoing existing palettes, which could boggle down the entire process. In concept, I was just going to move existing palettes to their new spots and create new ones where necessary. But here's what I'll do, I'll go ahead and create SPRs of the sprites I've posted so far, as well as the female White Mage and then maybe someone can test them out in-game to see if the color variation is too much.

Quote from: "Kagebunji"I like those palettes Mav, just tell me where did you get that black that is on Knight's cape, I wanna use it to something.
Straight from palette 2 of the male Ninja (be happy you're dealing with a guy who never creates his own colors).

EDIT: Male Thief completed. If you're going to import these into your game to test (please, by all means do so), then make sure to have a backup copy of the unmodified sprite or PM me for the original.

Kagebunji

The best Thief I saw this is, Mav, great job! And thanks for the blacks, I forgot Ninja has such colors :P

mav

Hah, thanks Kage.

I haven't worked on any more SPRs yet; I'm still finalizing some colors. Like I said earlier, my goal is to create a few today, have some people test 'em and give me feedback. Right now I'm working on jobs that I expect to see used heavily in tournaments (or at least they were heavily used in the 1.3 tournaments): the Ninjas, Thieves, Knights, White Mages, Oracles, Lancers, and Samurais. Today I'll get the male Ninja and Knight and possibly female Priest done, then I'll get onto the others. I've hit a snafu with the female Priest though...How can I fix the white palette?
[attachment=0:1vfl5lp1]newfpriestpalettes.png[/attachment:1vfl5lp1]
The order goes purple, yellow, brown, black, white. I think I also need to fix black and brown to make them look less alike...

Xifanie

I know they're "white" mages, but that's still too white... too hard to tell the difference. :/

mav

February 20, 2010, 04:36:09 pm #17 Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 05:02:42 pm by mav
I hear ya, is this in the right direction?

EDIT: Fixed the white and black palettes.

Cheetah

The white mage is definitely the right direction.
Current Projects:

mav

February 20, 2010, 05:03:27 pm #19 Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 06:03:21 pm by mav
Do they look different enough though? I feel like they do, but maybe they don't...Should the purple one be more purple?

And another thing about the female Priest--the portrait: the eye color is shared with the robe color. Should I just go ahead and make some edits to the portrait to make it work?