• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:39 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Poll: Your Opinion Please

Started by ShadowSkyle, April 25, 2012, 11:36:13 pm

Should the priest on the church have a gun?

Of course!
Definitely not!

ShadowSkyle

So, a certain element has been requested to me, and I want some opinions. The scenario: You're fighting a priest at a church. He's smugly sitting on the top of the church. You're first thought? I'm going to run up there an smack that stupid smirk off his face! Of course, as you start your ascent, he pulls out a gun and shoots you in the face.

So the question is, would you or would you not rather have this certain priest to have a gun, and why?

(This post is without spoilers as best as I can!)

mucus

Of he has a gun.
How else would he shoot me in the face?

formerdeathcorps

It's either that, a crossbow, an instantly charged spell of dark magic, a pitfall trap right in front of him, or his invisible retainers grabbing you as you try to attack him.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

EmmaNigma

I would only want the priest to have a gun if shooting me in the head released my Persona.
I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down, and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again.

Kaijyuu

Why exactly wouldn't the priest have a gun?

If you're doing a FFT hack (which I assume you are, though it's odd that you're asking in this forum), then the only thing stopping you there is class requirements for weapons.
  • Modding version: PSX

ShadowSkyle

I'm working on a modded FFT game. I ask here just because it's a general question, and would likely get the most traffic here. The idea to give the priest a gun was given to me by a friend, and I just wanted to see what everyone's opinion on the idea was.

mucus

As a job class I don't see why a priest would equip a gun.

dacheat

Quote from: mucus on April 26, 2012, 04:31:36 pm
As a job class I don't see why a priest would equip a gun.

Because he can. Duh.

Kaijyuu

Realistically, you could equip whatever weapon you want. For gameplay and thematic purposes though you might want to limit it, and that depends entirely on the game in question.

Ryqoshay

Everyone has a right to keep and bear arms, but does he have a conceal and carry permit?
Hurry down the chimney tonight.

mucus

it might not have been concealed...

Ryqoshay

If it wasn't concealed, then from where did he pull it out? Why does the attacker not notice it before they rush headlong into the fight?

Kaijyuu

If you think weapons appearing from nowhere is weird, why is it that chemists can take potions from the same stock? If there's 1 potion left, two chemists on opposite sides of the map can potentially use the same potion, denying its use to the other.

Ryqoshay

If it appeared from nowhere, it was therefore concealed, and my point stands; he needs a permit.

mucus

it was sitting on the roof in plain sight, he picked it up from there.

also...why is the priest sitting on the roof of the church shooting people?

Ryqoshay

If it were out in the open, in plain sight, then he would not have to pull it out from anywhere, as stated in the original post.

As for why he is on a roof, shooting people, maybe he is a citizen of Texas, and those other 49 lesser states. He is protecting the House of God from heathen ne'er-do-wells by giving them a horizontal hail of holy handgun delivered, hallowed tipped, lead justice! Halleluiah! Let the sacred blessings fire forth from the divine mouth at the end of the righteous rifling! Let me here the reports! Can I get an Amen?!

EmmaNigma

Quote from: mucus on April 28, 2012, 09:19:23 am
also...why is the priest sitting on the roof of the church shooting people?

Because they wouldn't shoot people from on top a synagogue, now would they?
I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down, and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again.

mucus

I question the validity of a roof-sitting gun-toting priest.
Wouldn't someone like that do better in the wild west?

Ryqoshay

Quote from: mucus on April 29, 2012, 05:24:23 am
I question the validity of a roof-sitting gun-toting priest.
Wouldn't someone like that do better in the wild west?

There are plenty of examples of similar situations already out there in the world. In the real world, all you have to do is go south of the Mason Dixon line. My first time ever playing paintball was with a group lead by a pastor. I never went, but he also lead a group that went to the rifle range on a regular basis. My cousin recently became a preacher, but still is an avid hunter, granted usually with a bow. However, he takes an annual trip to Canada to hunt moose and bear and uses a rifle to do so.

In fiction... oh, where to begin? Chrno Crusade has an entire church of gun-wielding holy men and women. Father Cornello has a gatling gun at one point. Wolfwood's cross is 'full of mercy.' There is a Chaplain among the crew of the original Dominion Tank Police. Paul Bettany seems to be typecast in gun-toting holy figure rolls as of late.

That's all my tired mind can come up with offhand, but I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. I should also point out that none of the examples I have listed take place in the wild west. Well, Trigun does have a bit of wild west flavor in it, but... My point is, Final Fantasy Tactics take place in a world that has guns. Why can't a priest in this world have a gun? Just so long as he has the proper paperwork, I see nothing wrong with it.