• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:59 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Text gets screwed up after editing.

Started by A Blood Red Fox, March 05, 2014, 10:55:52 pm

A Blood Red Fox

Lately I went through changing the names and descriptions of various pieces of weapons and armor, using fftactext. I went into the game to take a look at the results... I checked a few, and all was well at first. But then one of their descriptions wouldn't pop up when I pressed select...

I tried the next one on the list... it didn't work either, so I went back and tried the first one (which had worked the first time), and found it still displayed. So I moved onto a different item... I pressed select and nothing happened. I returned to the first item again... this time it wouldn't display either. Next thing I know, all the text everywhere in the menus are screwed up.

Is this something that's understood? What is the cause of it? Can it be prevented?

Choto

Badass equips. I think one of the Tactext's are borked. Try patching with version .457

A Blood Red Fox

March 05, 2014, 11:11:12 pm #2 Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 11:32:03 pm by Fox
I downloaded the .457 version and repatched, it still had the same issue. Might have been pure chance but it did seem like it took longer to screw up though.

EDIT:

Seems that the cause was just the text in the descriptions of items being too long, and in the case of the main problem item it happened because I did the next line command improperly.

A bit stumped as to what's up with this though:

A Blood Red Fox

I'm not sure what was causing the weird line things, but after messing around with it a bit it went away. So I'm going to go ahead and mark this topic as solved. :)

Celdia

Quote from: Fox on March 06, 2014, 03:14:13 am
I'm not sure what was causing the weird line things, but after messing around with it a bit it went away. So I'm going to go ahead and mark this topic as solved. :)

The "weird line things" mean a line text in the box is just a little too long for the box. If you can keep the line length under 200 pixels [that's the list of numbers to the side of the text entry boxes in TacText, listed per line] you shouldn't run into that problem. It actually is a bit wider than 200 for most of the boxes, but to be safe just keep it under that or check everything as you go. You'll get a handle on it with some practice. Also good to note, if you try to read a description and nothing comes up at all and then all the text goes crazy everywhere, there is a line that is WAY too long instead of just a little bit too long.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0