• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:20:38 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 ☢ ☢ ☢

Started by CT5Holy, July 28, 2014, 04:08:02 pm

Zotis

Sorry for the delay guys.  I have been procrastinating.  I'm recording the matches now.  I re-patched a fresh FFT iso, so hopefully move-mp up, hp up, and projectile guard are working properly.

I was holding my breath there.  To be honest I was really shocked when I lost the first round.  I hadn't really considered how squishy my Summoner was, giving her Auto Potion to keep her alive was so hard countered by that big damage one shot.  I have a feeling it's going to be my downfall at some point in this tournament.  I absolutely love my Wizard, she is just so perfect and does exactly what she's built for very effectively.  Actually everyone on my team functions well the way they are designed, it all came together well.  My team has good survivability despite the achilles heel, but it's an even bigger problem since my Summoner is my other revival unit.  When both the Summoner and Mediator die, that's it I'm done for.  Going up against Barren in the next round is going to be scary too since I suspect I'm going to run into similar problems.  Fortunately with a little luck some statuses can go my way, but I think it's really going to come down to luck and Barren will have the edge.

The Damned

(Thanks for letting us know what's going on, Zotis.)

No, I totally get that it was Eternal's decision and I respect that. I just think that literally any weapon, much less sword, would have been better if you were going out of your way to equip Light Blade on a Priest that isn't even physically attacking.

It's not a huge deal or anything though, especially since Eternal's team is decent otherwise. I'm just nagging about this because a) nagging is what I do and b) I'm still sort of disappointed no one in the tournament is using an Ultima Blade. That weapon still gets overlooked even though I think it's easily one of the better Swords at present.

Oh well. None of the teams I just made ended up using an Ultima Blade, so it's not like I can talk.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Zotis

Well, the first match is slowly uploading.  I'm off to bed now though, so I'll post the link when I get up.  It should publish as soon as it's done processing, so check the channel in about half an hour.

FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 3 Losers Match 1 - Angelus vs Winterfractal

Eternal

Honestly, I just chose Shieldrender because I like its name. Mystery solved.

EDIT: I asked Barren to put Throw Stone and Dash on Marche before the tourney started before the team submission was over, so that he'd use Quickening, so I knew about the AI issue. I'm sad it wasn't fixed, but eh, no big deal. :P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Vigilanti

Yea my team had horrible luck with talk skill in this one. The reason why I wanted maintenance was because I was paranoid with break/steal skills. Though I wished I thought of a better way to improve my paly's defenses. Plus I wanted to be different and use a knight sword instead of a spear to do jump damage. GG leif you definitely kicked my ass. Now how comfy is the doom drain?

Anima Zero

Kinda had a hunch I was at a disadvantage here.  Partly due to forgetting about darkness protection and partly because a Blaze Gun on a fire weak unit isn't a pleasant experience, heh.

Anyways, nice job there sir.  Time for me to get comfy on the doomtrain now.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

CT5Holy

Well, R1 was realllly close - I got lucky with your Charm missing and my Charm landing. I was pretty far behind, so your charm landing would've been insta-lose for me. My charm connecting brought me back in the game. Honestly might've won it for me right then and there. Less pressure on me, your Samurai helps with anti-sandbag + gives me time to get my Cursed Ring Ninja back up.

Though yeah, weak to fire unit was a definite problem, esp since the Paladin then spent the next two turns on self-buffs.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

The Damned

(I see, Eternal, and yet I am still blind.)

I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I think it's partly because I'm being nagged by Barren's pronunication of Minerva. It's not a huge deal, especially since I've gotten used to the Boston accent over the years, but I think it's just weirding me out that someone wouldn't have heard of a rather prominent goddess's name.

Just for the record, you're supposed to stress the "er" of Minerva, Barren, and separate it from the "min". Min/er/va. Again, not important, but just figured I'd say something for the sake of clarity even though this is probably coming off with some asperity that I don't intend.

Anyway, the three last matches were all kinda of one-sided unfortunately and I can still blather on about them just as well:

(Angelus)
Team: Season 3
Palettes: Green/White

================================

Shinobi
Male
Pisces
Ninja
Punch Art
Damage Split
Overwhelm
Move-MP Up
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Golden Hairpin
Power Sleeve
Cursed Ring

Meiton
Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Revive

Shogun
Female
Virgo
Samurai
Steal
MA Save
Magic Attack UP
Move+1
Kiyomori

Circlet
Diamond Armor
108 Gems

Asura, Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Heaven's Cloud, Muramasa, Kikuichimonji
Quickening, Steal Heart, Steal Accessry

Potz
Male
Pisces
Chemist
Snipe
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Romanda Gun

Thief Hat
Black Costume
Cherche

Hi-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Leg Aim, Arm Aim, Head Break, Armor Break, Shield Break, Weapon Break

Evenflow
Female
Virgo
Time Mage
Summon Magic
Absorb MP
Short Charge
Pilgrimage
H Bag

Black Hood
Robe of Lords
N-Kai Armlet

Haste 2, Slow 2, Stop, Sinkhole
Moogle, Fairy, Carbunkle, Lich

vs.

(Winterfractal)
Palettes: Black/White

Scarlett
Male
Leo
Archer
Steal
Awareness
Concentrate
Move+1
Ice Bow

Thief Hat
Black Costume
Feather Mantle

Arm Aim, Shield Break, Weapon Break
Steal Heart

John
Male
Leo
Archer
Ninjitsu
Abandon
Attack UP
Teleport
Lightning Bow

Flash Hat
Brigandine
Leather Mantle

Leg Aim, Execute, Head Break, Armor Break
Kagesougi

Tuck
Male
Sagittarius
Chemist
Talk Skill
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Stone Gun

Black Hood
Rubber Costume
Wizard Mantle

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Death Sentence, Mimic Daravon

Marion
Female
Aries
Priest
Yin Yang Magic
Regenerator
Magic Defend UP
Move-MP Up
Healing Staff

Golden Hairpin
Robe of Lords
Elf Mantle

Cure 3, Raise, Esuna
Paralyze, Petrify

Hunh. I'm rather surprised at how one-sided this was for Angelus even though it took a while for him to win. Winterfractal's team had more overall damage between Stone Gun and Kagesougi, but his team really doesn't have any AoE at all, which is basically what ended up screwing him over when facing Lich, Slow 2, Koutetsu and Kikuichimonji. As such, his M-EV didn't really matter since he couldn't catch up when he fell behind outside of the Priest landing Paralyze, so it only delayed the inevitable. His Chemist did tank and dodge hits rather nicely towards the end of round two though--I can't deny that.

Dark attacks are actually pretty damn powerful when you don't actually absorb them and Winterfractal's team is one of the relative few that doesn't have Cursed Ring; he does have at least one unit that absorbs Dark, though, unlike what I thought earlier given I'd forgotten Scarlett's Black Costume. Additionally, Tuck's Flash Hat backfired here, if only in the second round, due to it turning the Ninja's guaranteed Meiton into an OHKO on that particular Archer; sure, it only made Meiton an OHKO once, but that was enough when it's difficult for Winterfractal's team to comeback against Angelus. Meiton otherwise wasn't bugging him due to the weirdly high Faith of his non-spellgun-using shooters.
Finally, though it didn't matter in this match, Winterfractal's team is absolutely weak to Projectile Guard, especially if the unit with it has protection from Disable/Don't Act, protection from Sleep and/or low Faith. Still, it was nice to someone try to use not only Stone Gun, but also Lightning Bow & Ice Bow given how absurdly powerful spellguns still are.

That said, I have to wonder how poorly Angelus's team will fare against the many teams that have a fellow Cursed Ring user or more than one unit that absorbs Dark. His team has more ways to get around its hard counter than Winterfractal's team does to get around Projectile Guard, but it would still be a problem, especially since that unit would likely be tankier than Scarlett. This even with his Ninja being basically immortal because Cursed Ring is stupid like that now.

P.S. Speaking of stupid things in 1.38 that we still have to endure a year later, I really want Kagesougi and the other (Ninjutsu) skills to still get labelled if 1.39 ever rolls around because it's still rather grating to miss Kagesougi going off without realizing it. For example, I thought for a while it was a normal Lightning Bow shot that had caused Immobilize/Don't Move early on in round one on the Time Mage even though Lightning Bow isn't Gaignun's Sword of Storms. It doesn't help that both Lightning Bow and Kagesougi can cause Disable/Don't Act, though at least Lightning Bow being able to cause Disable/Don't Act is fair.

(Anima Zero)
Team: Seraphic Blue
Palettes: Red/Black

Anima
Male
Scorpio
Paladin
Basic Skill
Abandon
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand
Ice Shield
Crystal Helmet
Light Robe
Leather Mantle

Consecration, Transfusion, Iron Will, Reraise, Grand Cross
Accumulate, Heal, Wish

Minerva
Female
Capricorn
Samurai
Lore
MA Save
Magic Attack UP
Move-MP Up
Chirijiraden

Circlet
Robe of Lords
Diamond Armlet

Bizen Boat, Murasame, Heaven's Cloud, Muramasa, Chirijiraden
Bio 2, Bio 3, Tornado, Quake

Captain Rex
Male
Virgo
Monk
Steal
Auto Potion
Martial Arts
Ignore Height

Chakra Band
Earth Clothes
Bracer

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

Liete
Female
Taurus
Mediator
Item
Damage Split
Throw Item
Teleport
Glacier Gun

Holy Miter
Santa Outfit
108 Gems

Blackmail, Death Sentence, Insult, Mimic Daravon
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

vs.

(CT5Holy)
Team: Pray Faith
Palettes: Green/White

Haku
Male
Aries
Ninja
Talk Skill
Counter
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Short Edge
Hidden Knife
Twist Headband
Black Costume
Cursed Ring

Kagesougi
Blackmail, Mimic Daravon

Hatsu
Male
Aries
Archer
Draw Out
Damage Split
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Blaze Gun
Kaiser Plate
Thief Hat
Santa Outfit
Setiemson

Arm Aim, Seal Evil
Masamune

Chun
Male
Aries
Monk
Steal
Speed Save
Martial Arts
Warpath
H Bag

Chakra Band
Power Sleeve
Cherche

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Quickening, Steal Heart

Daisangen
Female
Libra
Oracle
White Magic
Auto Potion
Defense UP
Move-MP Up
Octagon Rod

Black Hood
White Robe
Defense Ring

Silence Song, Dispel Magic, Paralyze, Sleep
Raise, Raise 2, Esuna

Not much to say here given that spellguns are spellguns--tautology!--and given that CT5Holy's team is unsurprisingly decent despite him thinking it might be crap. "Hitting hard" is all that really matters when you're guaranteed to hit and since spellguns are guaranteed to hit....

Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind spellguns being subject to M-EV since you asked Barren. I'm not sure, however, if it actually can be made to do so (easily) between it being a gun and technically still a regular physical Attack (and still not knowing jack about how to code). At least, I'm relatively sure that MA-based weaponry like Staves and Sticks are still affected by Defense UP and Protect rather than Mag. Defense UP and Shell, even if, yes, spellguns are exempted from that as well anyway. Shrug.

Regardless, as others and I expressed almost a year ago already when 1.39 talk came up "seriously", the only real way to balance spellguns if they're going to be around at all is have them not go off Faith & thus not be boostable by Pilgrimage (or Muramasa the Katana). This and also have them be Forced Two Hands. They might need a slight WP boost of one point to compensate for being switched over to the Nether spells, but that's really the only way they're going to be remotely fair if they exist. As such, when it comes to guns, it's more of question of what to do with Romanda Gun and Mythril Gun still from what I've seen really.

Anyway, getting back to the actual match, I'll comment on something related to Anima the Paladin: despite Barren commenting on his set-up twice so far with respect to Ice Brand Grand Cross self-blinding, I can't recall Anima actually using it as of yet. I don't think he even used it in the first match before this either. So now I wonder if he'll use on the Doom Train (provided my memory isn't just failing me like always and he's used it already) or if Anima Zero's team will get eliminated without the Paladin using Grand Cross at all for some weird reason.

Regardless, it's pretty rare to see someone not only not cover a weakness, but also have that weakness actually get exploited. It's even more rare to see that weakness by due to something other than Cursed Ring, though it is amusingly still a Fire weakness. Anima Zero just got (extra) unlucky in that CT5Holy had exactly the spellgun he was weakest to as well.
Burn, baby, burn. (Disco inferno.)

(Otabo)
Palettes: Brown/Black

Teabag
Female
Scorpio
Thief
Draw Out
Projectile Guard
Equip Armor
Move-HP Up
Sasuke Knife

Flash Hat
Gold Armor
Cursed Ring

Kiyomori, Masamune

Mallory
Female
Scorpio
Monk
Talk Skill
HP Restore
Equip Shield
Move+1
H Bag
Genji Shield
Chakra Band
Santa Outfit
Diamond Armlet

Secret Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive
Insult

Mackenzie
Female
Pisces
Mediator
Item
Auto Potion
Magic Defend UP
Flee
Main Gauche

Thief Hat
White Robe
Setiemson

Blackmail, Death Sentence, Mimic Daravon
Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Echo Grass, Chrono's Tear, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Perria
Female
Pisces
Priest
Time Magic
Counter Magic
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Silk Robe
Defense Ring

Cure 2, Raise, Raise 2, Esuna
Haste 2, Slow 2, Don't Move, Sinkhole, Balance

vs.

(Vireblaze)
Team: Nottinghamsire
Palettes: Black/Blue

The Prince
Male
Capricorn
Bard
Talk Skill
MA Save
Unyielding
Move-HP Up
Fairy Harp

Green Beret
Brigandine
N-Kai Armlet

Battle Song
Blackmail, Insult, Mimic Daravon

The Sheriff
Male
Taurus
Squire
Steal
Projectile Guard
Attack UP
Move-MP Up
Ancient Sword
Platina Shield
Thief Hat
Earth Clothes
Battle Boots

Heal, Wish

The Knight
Male
Virgo
Paladin
Punch Art
HP Restore
Martial Arts
Warpath

Genji Shield
Crystal Helmet
Diamond Armor
108 Gems

Reraise
Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Earth Slash, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

The Bishop
Male
Taurus
Priest
Summon Magic
Absorb MP
Short Charge
Float
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Light Robe
Magic Ring

Raise 2, Esuna, Holy
Moogle, Carbunkle, Odin

And, unlike the above match, this match was almost entirely decided by status, especially that second one. It's rather particularly ironic given that Vireblaze's Paladin might have the most anti-status unit in the entire tournament (who isn't a Monk with access to Chakra Band)...and he still got violated by Sleep status in both rounds; Paladin was also violated by Slow 2, but more so Sleep. And all that Charm and Berserk status flying around in the second match...geez.

As amusing as it was to see HP Restore go off repeatedly in the first round, I mostly just felt bad for this being so one-sided for Vireblaze. Sure, I'd say that last two matches I just commented on were also relatively one-sided, but at least both Winterfractal and Anima Zero largely got to play; they just couldn't make comebacks against their respective opponents. Meanwhile, Vireblaze just got steamrolled by way of the RNG loving Obato throughout the entire match and there's not really much you can do about that, especially when your team already has the match-up disadvantage.

EDIT: Oh, apparently two more matches are up now. Well, that figures. Thanks for the celerity, Barren.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Otabo

Speed disadvantage + little status removal was mainly the reason why Vireblaze lost. Slow, as we all know, is devastating, and if a team can't deal with it, and if the enemy team has fast hasted units like thieves and whatnot, then there's not much said team can do, really. But yeah, I figured HP Restore would be obnoxious again here, but that's mainly due to RNG factors. Seeing as my girls all have low to mediocre damage at best, HP Restore is going to be obnoxious no matter how I look at it - the team isn't designed to deal with HP Restore via damage, but by DS/status instead. GG Vireblaze.

EDIT: Time to knuckle up ladies. We're against CT5Holy next round. This should be good.

TristanBeoulve

Seeing The Damned's most recent post, I figured I would comment on my bard, Ulfric Stormcloak. I had figured Barren would have recognized the Elder Scrolls reference, but I guess this forum is filled mostly with JRPG players. That's it.
"There is blood on my hands, how long till it lies on my heart?"

Celdia

CHOOOOOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There were a couple points in those fights where if the RNG had leaned the other direction it could have easily gone in my favor (I'm looking at you, Steal Heart) but I think overall it really just came down to speed/team positioning that left my Oracle behind the mark and unable to drop Doku's summoner before she could become a problem.

Good match, Doku.  :)
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Dokurider

Yeah you could have taken a round from me while the RNG gods were giving me a once over. I guess my Irish Luck was to compensate for the fact I could have easily been facing off against a Phoenix Balancer. *shudders*

Don't worry I did make a team with your name on it while I was gone, which I'm waiting until the tourney's over to unveil.

The Damned

(So...we're already at the end of Round 2 Winners...and yet I have no idea what's going on with the matches 2-4 of Losers still.)

Granted, this still doesn't affect me since it's apparently been decided that I'm going to get my ass kicked by Vigilanti--woot--already, but...yeah. Inquiring minds wish to know.

In finding out that I am getting eliminated by Vigilanti though, I saw that Dragonblade is apparently fighting Reks next round of Losers. That's...unfortunate since I didn't want either of them to get eliminated this early. Sigh.

(Dokurider)
Team: Luck of the Irish
Palettes: Green/Black

Fand
Female
Serpentarius
Time Mage
White Magic
Finger Guard
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
H Bag

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Magic Ring

Haste 2, Slow 2
Cure, Cure 2, Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Dia, Holy

The Morrigan
Female
Serpentarius
Summoner
Lore
Absorb MP
Magic Attack UP
Float
Wizard Rod

Holy Miter
Wizard Robe
108 Gems

Moogle, Shiva, Ramuh, Ifrit, Leviathan, Salamander, Titan, Fairy, Carbunkle, Silf, Odin, Bahamut, Lich, Cyclops, Zodiac
Tornado, Quake

Geis
Male
Serpentarius
Chemist
Time Magic
Auto Potion
Equip Armor
Teleport
Throwing Knife

Crystal Helmet
Diamond Armor
Diamond Armlet

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Ether, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Don't Move, Comet, Sinkhole

Hornswoggle
Male
Serpentarius
Thief
Punch Art
Projectile Guard
Two Hands
Move-HP Up
Katar

Flash Hat
Power Sleeve
Cursed Ring

Spin Fist, Repeating Fist, Wave Fist, Stigma Magic, Chakra, Revive

vs.

(Celdia)
Team: Bad Romance Novel
Palettes: Blue/White

Bait
Male
Serpentarius
Thief
Sing
Speed Save
Equip Shield
Teleport
Phoenix Blade
Zephyr Shield
Green Beret
Secret Clothes
Battle Boots

Heretic, Bad Luck, Spellbreaker, Steal Heart
Last Song

Comic Relief
Male
Serpentarius
Monk
Draw Out
PA Save
Attack UP
Warpath

Choice Band
Power Sleeve
Cursed Ring

Earth Slash, Secret Fist, Chakra, Revive
Kiyomori, Masamune

Mary Sue
Female
Serpentarius
Oracle
White Magic
MA Save
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Faith Rod

Golden Hairpin
Silk Robe
Defense Ring

Zombie, Blind Rage, Beguile, Paralyze, Sleep, Petrify
Raise 2, Dia, Holy

Sidekick
Male
Serpentarius
Chemist
Ninjitsu
HP Restore
Unyielding
Move-HP Up
Air Knife

Thief Hat
Black Costume
Angel Ring

Hi-Potion, X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Maiden's Kiss, Bandage, Phoenix Down
Suiton, Kagesougi

Yeah, despite being destroyed by Dokurider's superior firepower off the bat in both rounds, Celdia could have easily come back in at least the first one between the power of Charm/Steal Heart and how obnoxious Phoenix Blade and Cursed Ring can get at times. Well that and Dokurider's (O)Irishness declaring itself by making him miss two 89% Raise 2's on the squishy Summoner in a row. By Aine, what the hell was that?

Anyway the thing that really doomed Celdia overall, besides Dokurider just hitting much harder in general, was the Thief mostly opting for ineffectual Last Songs whenever he got a turn/got up and the Oracle getting done in before she could really abuse Faith Rod in anyway. Speaking of Faith Rod, I have to admit that I was surprised the Oracle lived through that Salamander given she didn't have Magic Defend UP or Shell or White Robe or worse than Neutral compatibility.

(reinoe)
Team: 10 Gauge
Palettes: Yellow/White

Unit 1
Male
Scorpio
Thief
Item
Counter
Two Hands
Fly
Platinum Sword

Twist Headband
Rubber Costume
Angel Ring

X-Potion, Hi-Potion, Hi-Ether, Antidote, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Holy Water, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Unit 2
Male
Scorpio
Ninja
Basic Skill
Abandon
Attack UP
Move-HP Up
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Green Beret
Power Sleeve
Feather Mantle

Kagesougi
Accumulate, Throw Stone, Heal, Wish

Unit 3
Male
Capricorn
Archer
Punch Art
Projectile Guard
Magic Attack UP
Pilgrimage
Blast Gun
Kaiser Plate
Thief Hat
Black Costume
Setiemson

Arm Aim, Seal Evil, Hawk's Eye, Execute, Armor Break, Weapon Break
Stigma Magic, Revive

Unit 4
Female
Taurus
Time Mage
White Magic
Damage Split
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Mace of Zeus

Golden Hairpin
White Robe
Sprint Shoes

Haste 2, Slow 2, Comet, Sinkhole, Demi 2
Cure 3, Cure 4, Raise, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Holy

vs.

(spacethypoon)
Team: Black Sheep
Palettes: Black/Green

Hattori
Male
Serpentarius
Ninja
Item
Abandon
Throw Item
Fly
Hidden Knife
Ninja Knife
Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Feather Mantle

Meiton, Fuuton, Suiton, Kagesougi
X-Potion, Hi-Ether, Chrono's Tear, Echo Grass, Maiden's Kiss, Soft, Bandage, Phoenix Down

Krypt
Male
Sagittarius
Paladin
Draw Out
Counter
Defense UP
Move-HP Up
Ice Brand
Escutcheon II
Crystal Helmet
Reflect Mail
Cherche

Nurse, Reraise, Southern Cross
Koutetsu, Bizen Boat, Murasame, Masamune

Cherice
Female
Pisces
Priest
Time Magic
Dragon Spirit
Short Charge
Move-MP Up
Wizard Staff

Golden Hairpin
Wizard Robe
Chantage

Cure 4, Raise 2, Wall, Esuna, Dia
Haste 2

Kikyo
Female
Aries
Archer
Steal
Auto Potion
Concentrate
Warpath
Windslash Bow

Green Beret
Power Sleeve
108 Gems

Leg Aim, Arm Aim
Quickening

And we go from a short match to an even shorter match with an even more severe damage difference even before Blast Gun came in. Even with as lucky spacethypoon got with the most/only dangerous unit on his team, and her causing constant Hurricanes with her Windslash Bow, it didn't come close to being enough since we saw the real reason why Draw Out is terrible on low-MA units: if they have Murasame, they'll still use it to try to heal even if it's for completely pathetic amounts of HP, especially if it can heal others. This even if it has other healing options that will heal for superior amounts of HP, as seen with the Paladin foregoing Nurse in the second round for a Murasame of 50 HP.

I mean, at least Koutetsu can be used to deal with Phoenix Down even if your MA is low. Murasame goes from being arguably overpowered to an utter liability when your MA is low. Combine that with spacethypoon's Ninja getting slaughtered by reinoe's Ninja off the bat twice in a row and his Priest being easy pickings for Blast Gun and it's quite easy to see why he was basically doomed against reinoe's team from the start. Even at her best, the Archer couldn't and can't solo reinoe's team.

A bit underwhelming to have the last two matches of the current Winners round be even more one-sided, but considering we're still early on in the tournament, it's neither that surprising nor that disappointing.

Quote from: TristanBeoulve on August 18, 2014, 01:06:37 pm
Seeing The Damned's most recent post, I figured I would comment on my bard, Ulfric Stormcloak. I had figured Barren would have recognized the Elder Scrolls reference, but I guess this forum is filled mostly with JRPG players. That's it.

Good to know, though I thought it was fairly obvious that it came something Elder Scrolls-related and I haven't even played those games while I think like...half of the people in this thread have, if not in the forum. That said, I can't speak for anyone else, so who knows.

I'm personally way more of a platformer, fighting and puzzle game guy than I am an RPG guy, much less (nigh) exclusively JRPGs.

Barren

I might just have to work on the loser bracket matches 2 - 4 since I haven't heard from zotis this week so I'll get them up by today if not tomorrow

EDIT: Just heard from him he'll finally get it done today
You dare cross blades with me?

Zotis

Barren

I was fairly certain I would win this one though I had minor doubt I would. But still charm helped in the beginning and cursed ring...soo sooo soooo good. GG zotis. Good luck on the doom train

And leif, guess we are in for one hell of a battle coming up. Best of luck to you
You dare cross blades with me?

Zotis

I finished recording Shadowstrike vs RedWorld, so I'm just uploading it now.  I should be able to do the other two matches tonight.