• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:55:09 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

The text editing/asethetics topic

Started by karsten, March 23, 2008, 07:43:45 am

karsten

March 23, 2008, 07:43:45 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Thanks to melonhead's last effort we are finally able to edit text too!

So in this topic we have to post the new spell/class description for all the changes we are making in the patch!

I.e.

the spells aero/aero2/cyclone/new abilities
karsten, zodiac, vincent class and personal text
red mage and blue mage descrition,
description of all the items that will get changed

anything else i can't think of :P

VincentCraven

March 23, 2008, 08:29:40 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Might as well include all the little tweaks to the game as well. Stuff like making text speed go faster, changing color of items, etc.

IIRC, some of the genji items are red but are described as black.

And, for anyone who has played FFT Sigma, did the text speed during the 'little money' event seem like the right speed?

Also, I'd like to run this list of 'official class names' by everyone:

Chemist
White Mage
Black Mage
Oracle
Time Mage
Blue Mage
Summoner
Red Mage

I didn't see any problems with the physical classes, but even though it follows tradition, isn't "Mage" kinda bland?

And what were the suggestions in place of 2/3/4 skills? ra, ga, ja is a step up, but is that good enough? Already have:
Teleport, Warp
Aero, Gale, Cyclone
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

NeedsMoreNoise

March 23, 2008, 12:29:57 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "VincentCraven"I didn't see any problems with the physical classes, but even though it follows tradition, isn't "Mage" kinda bland?
Some traditions were meant to be broken ;-;.

I might be the only one, though, but I liked the Wizard/Priest/Blue Mage/Red Mage/Time Mage/Summoner/Oracle idea more.

VincentCraven

March 23, 2008, 01:51:02 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
^Blue Mage, Red Mage, and Time Mage may need new names too.

I'm gonna come up with a more creative name for my class than "Wind Mage"

Sen

March 23, 2008, 01:54:05 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
For Time Mage I have a suggestion.

Chronomancer, Astraler/Alstralist

LastingDawn

March 23, 2008, 05:11:15 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ah, Chronomancer sounds nice, it fits the class, as a master of time and space. Chronomancer does mean "One who evokes Time"  which certainly sounds proper. Red Mage... Magi-Knight? Blue Mage...
Renverser? Which is just a fancy term for "Reverse" as it uses enemies skills against them that might fit, somewhat...

Ah! Here we are! "Emulator" as it emulates the moves used against it. That might fit it's terms.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

VincentCraven

March 23, 2008, 05:18:51 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Chronomancer sounds nice

Mage Knight for Red Mage? Doesn't sound any better, but it makes more sense.

Beastmaster for Blue Mage sounds fine. Emulator reminds me of the thing I will be using to play FFT.

Okay, so now we have an alternative set of names for the 'Mages.'

karsten

March 23, 2008, 08:11:32 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
i'm quite fond of the old "colored" mages... so i wouldn't change them  8)

anyway the beastmaster was a class like mediator but only effective on monster in FFV...

VincentCraven

March 23, 2008, 08:37:52 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Well, if you are good with it then it's fine. I just wanted an excuse to not work on describing the skills. :roll:

Austin

March 23, 2008, 08:51:32 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
I'm cool with the red/blue/black/white mage names too. Simple and easy, Chronomancer sounds like a superhero name or something. :?
  • Modding version: PSX

NeedsMoreNoise

March 23, 2008, 10:33:20 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "Austin"I'm cool with the red/blue/black/white mage names too. Simple and easy, Chronomancer sounds like a superhero name or something. :?
D: I loved that idea!

Mage Knight would be better if there weren't 5000 other kinds of Knights already...

Sen

March 24, 2008, 05:09:05 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sen
Chronomancer is like Geomancer they have same "mancer" thing.

By the way I got Chronomancer from an MMORPG.

Kourama

March 24, 2008, 12:33:27 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
QuoteBlue Mage...
Renverser? Which is just a fancy term for "Reverse" as it uses enemies skills against them that might fit, somewhat...

Ah! Here we are! "Emulator" as it emulates the moves used against it. That might fit it's terms.

Emulator is the job name for the pseudo-Blue Mage in the new Wild Arms game for PSP. So it could work although I don't see why we just don't stick with Blue Mage though. FFXI still uses that as the name.

Cheetah

April 02, 2008, 05:25:47 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
That is great news about the text editing. I am excited about this project and will contribute how I can. But there are some technical issues that I think are going to plague all patch attempts, and I'm curious about the progress on solving these issues.

1) Increasing the number of jobs available on the Job circle, and not have to replace existing ones to add new ones.
2) Increasing the number of units to have in your overall party. New special characters and monsters is great, but the current limit on the psx version is so low that people are already having to toss away great party members to make room.

Till these two issues are addressed I don't see how any patch can be particularly revolutionary.
Current Projects:

VincentCraven

April 02, 2008, 06:59:51 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
^ uhhh, okay. I had no intention of messing with either, so I guess there is no revolution here.

Asmo X

April 02, 2008, 07:55:58 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Yeah right, those 2 things are going to decide whether or not the patch is "revolutionary".  :roll:

Cheetah

April 02, 2008, 08:11:02 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Haha I guess "revolutionary" was a poor choice in words. I apologize. I just really respect the content of the original game, and I feel like it would be a shame to loose some of that content in order to make room for new stuff. There are lots of ways to work around these two issues, I would just really like to see a FFT a patch with more job classes and room for more characters.
Current Projects:

VincentCraven

April 02, 2008, 08:38:29 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
I do agree that removing old classes to make room for new classes isn't as nice as simply adding more classes to the wheel; however, the limit of units in the party is only a small matter. Sure, we may end up with 30 special characters, but surely you wouldn't use all of them in one playthrough.

Then again you may play the game in a different manner than I and view the 16 character limit as an annoying handicap. Unfortunately, we can do nothing about these limitations at the present time.

Cheetah

April 02, 2008, 08:55:08 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
I totally agree with what you said Vincent. The 16 character limit just makes it harder to really experiment with all the characters. And yeah my play style is probably different in that FFT is the only game I have ever played through more than once (and I still haven't quite finished it for the second time).

More than anything I just want to know if these issues are actually being worked on or are they just seen as impossible to change?
Current Projects:

NeedsMoreNoise

April 03, 2008, 12:45:26 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
Quote from: "Cheetah"I totally agree with what you said Vincent. The 16 character limit just makes it harder to really experiment with all the characters. And yeah my play style is probably different in that FFT is the only game I have ever played through more than once (and I still haven't quite finished it for the second time).

More than anything I just want to know if these issues are actually being worked on or are they just seen as impossible to change?
I'm not sure how many people would even want to be able to use more characters in battles. Like I've said before, they set the limit based on the average size of maps so things don't become too congested. Maybe one more wouldn't hurt much, but they'd need to go through EVERY encounter to add another enemy to compensate, and that's really just not worth it.