• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Easiest way to change Ramza's sprite?

Started by A Blood Red Fox, July 09, 2012, 05:53:39 am

A Blood Red Fox

I would really like to give Ramza a female sprite. I don't really need a custom one, I'd settle for the class of one of the special characters like Agrias or what-have you. But, I can't figure out how to do it. I'm totally confused as to how to do it manually, and I can't get gameshark to do it - whether on a patched version or a non-patched version.

Can I please get some kind of help? I'm terribly frustrated.

Eternal

To change sprites in-battle, you'll need to download and use Shishi sprite editor, which is included with the Patcher. To change formation sprites, you'll need to read Celdia's tutorial about it.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

A Blood Red Fox

July 10, 2012, 01:43:55 am #2 Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:09:55 am by Fox
Okay... I have the necessary stuff (I think) but I'm having problems. Shishi doesn't seem to change anything in the game. Am I misunderstanding what Shishi is supposed to do? Or am I just not not doing it right?

I opened the ISO and I imported the SPRs. I didn't see a way to save any changes. But on loading the ISO up again the changes were still there, so I assumed I didn't need to do anything else. I started up the game... and no changes in sprites.

I also tried to see if I could change the sprite for formation, but following the tutorial I hit a dead end. I can't import anything... I've been trying to use the Agrias sprite from the downloads section, but it tells me it's not a 16 color bmp. I tried saving it as 16 colors but it screws it up.

What am I doing wrong here?

Also... what are SHP and SEQ?

Thank you for any help.

Edit: I played around with some stuff and somehow I got it to work. I'm not sure what I did that caused it. I can now see the sprite in battle. I still have issues regarding the formation stuff though

Eternal

July 10, 2012, 01:19:06 pm #3 Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 01:26:14 pm by Eternal248
Shishi changes in-battle sprites. So if you replace Ramza's sprite with, say, Algus, he'll appear as Algus in battle, but as Ramza in the formation screen.

As for the formation sprites, I'll ask Celdia- who made the tutorial- if she has an idea.

EDIT: It -was- Celdia's tutorial you read, right?

EDIT 2: Try this: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=5991.0#msg126486
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

A Blood Red Fox

It was Celdia's tutorial yes. I tried those sprites you linked to and they worked. :)

Also, figured out what I did different that got the battle sprites working earlier. I was making a really stupid mistake. I was loading up save states on ePSXe rather than loading the saved game.  :P

Aqueous

Unfortunately, I can tell you now from experience (having done this myself) there's no easy way to do this because once you've done the Battle and Formation (Menu) Sprites, guess what? His sprite in cutscenes (events) is independent and therefore will require you to modify that.

There's about 30-40 different sprite sheets with Ramza on in various poses and all will need to be modified.

If, per chance, you've changed his sprite to the "FFT Mercenaries" sprite on this site (the black armour with a sand-coloured cape) then you're in luck as I've already modified a great deal of the cutscenes with Razma to use this sprite so I can send to you (only Ch4 though I'm afraid).