• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:19:08 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Base Move and Move+X

Started by FFMaster, July 20, 2010, 10:59:00 pm

Do you want 2/3 move or 3/4 move?

2/3
0 (0%)
2/3 with Move+1 on Thief
0 (0%)
3/4
5 (38.5%)
3/4 with Move+1 on Thief
8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 21, 2010, 05:05:50 am

FFMaster

People are really unhappy with this change. Should it go back to 1.3 or is there another way we can do this?

Background info
Back in the 1.3 tournaments, pretty much everyone and their mother ran move+X as their movement ability. Nobody used shoes for +movement, and Aero suggested to move everything to 2/3 move and reduce spell ranges to compensate. He also removed move+X, saying that it would be far too powerful under 2/3 move, and that it would take away from Battle Boots/Germinas Boots.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

AeroGP

I didn't say move+x would be too powerful. I said they would be overused, because they outclass every other movement ability by a huge margin. Only way the others are going to see any light from a competitive standpoint is to make them the only choice you've got, IMHO.

Honestly, 2 move doesn't bother me, but if you really want it movement can go back to 3 move. It's up to FFMaster, I'm not calling this one. Regardless, though, move+x should not come back.
Quote from: Tycho"There are a number of different factors impacting server connectivity on Xbox 360," the spokesperson said. "It is a particularly complex server architecture and we continue to work with Microsoft to improve connectivity."

I don't want to bolster any "violent gamer" tropes, but that statement makes me want to improve the connectivity of my front two knuckles with their esophagus.  I wonder how Brenna would respond if I told her that "fidelity" was complicated.

Skip Sandwich

I think that if you're really dead set on retaining base move 2, then you really need to raise base jump to 3, at least. Otherwise, we'll just keep having problems where units are unable to cross simple 1 panel gaps.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

logus

I agree with move+x being the most used stuff, but it wasn't exactly every move+.  Move-HP Up seems like a much better choice than move+1 at base move 3/4. I think that move+2/3 is obviously out of question, but move+1 should be there, regardless of base move 2/3 or base move 3/4.

Personally, base move 3/4 with move+1 costing around 300jp, being a thief skill. No other move+ x abilities (everyone was running move+2 in s3, let's see how much they'll prioritize move+1 for 300jp at thief).

edit: Not to mention move-mp up. Seriously Aero, I really don't think move+1 will outclass move-mp up and move-hp up...
S3 Official Refresh Spammer

Kaz

Wait am i missing something? so what if Move+X is "over-picked".  If it is advantageous to the team than I don't see what's wrong with having it.  Even then if you have issues with too many people using it than make the JP values reflect that.

IMO, the lower move variables (2-3) had good intentions but only made the game worse.  The battles now are slow and dragged out, whereas in the matches i watched in 1.3 they were much more upbeat and exciting.  Look at the matches so far, 1 of them had two parts and another was 10 mins+ long @ 150fps+.

With that said i think we should try what logus suggested.  (3-4) with move+1 being available at the least.

and btw, I'd even say make the base jump 4 if you were to keep (2-3)
to hell with you mustadio haters

Pride

Originally I thought 2/3 move would be okay but after seeing several of these videos, I strongly take that back. It cause too many situations where melee units are trapped and are picked off from aoe abilities. If 2/3 move is kept then then I would say that jump4 should be brought back and then Move +1 should be given back. Well... Either way 3/4 or 2/3 Move +1 should be brought back. I'm in favor of going back to 3/4 move.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

FFMaster

Added a poll. Move+1, if it comes back, WILL be on Thief.
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

The Damned

July 21, 2010, 06:10:36 am #7 Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:39:31 am by The Damned
I'm fine with moving back to 3/4. I think it's kind of necessary. That or at least everyone to have at least Jump 3 like how Skip Sandwich said.

I don't mind Move +X staying gone, at least for a while. Since we're going to be testing things for a while, we might as well go increments rather than bringing everything back at once just because some people are (perhaps legitimately) dissatisfied.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Barren

i think a thief should have 3 move and 4 jump because thieves are suppose to be quick on their feet like ninjas and giving them move + 1 in their skill tree would be a good idea in my book so you can have lets say for example a knight with a crossbow along with movement accessory and move + 1 so they can move 4 panels without having the movement range being too overwhelming
You dare cross blades with me?

philsov

argh, no option to change vote.

3/4 with no move +X over 3/4 with move +1 for me.  

6 move is a bit ridiculous, and that's possible with 4 move + boots + move+1.   But 5?  When everyone else is 3?  that's fine in my book.  

The problem has two faces -- one, move+X stuff outclassing everything else.  But that's not the fault of them, its just that most of the other movement abilities suck, so having move+1 around isn't THAT bad in that the movement gain isn't too high, and its capped at 2 so the player still has to pursue other options for his other units.  The second face is balance, and this is more subjective than objective but no unit should be able to run around all willy-nilly.  So we should curb their movement so they just can't go around melee-range sniping everything in sight.  

2/3 scheme is a bit weak -- too much roadblockage with corpses.
2/3 with move +1 enables a 5-movement unit while the lowest possible is 2 (ie, really bad)
3/4 without move+1 allows corpse bypass but doesn't allow running amokness
3/4 with move+1 enables running amokness

imo.

Also!  This means ranged abilities getting jacked back up to 4; and earth slash/kiku going back up to 5, maybe.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

logus

July 21, 2010, 10:38:26 am #10 Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 09:31:50 pm by FFMaster
I very much doubt someone would go for 6 move in our current meta rather than seeking some status protection/elemental absorption at acessories. Also, giving a unit 6 move has proven to be inefficient as the AI will just do suicidal rushes with such units (as thieves and ninjas should be the only units with base move 4 imo, and they don't have a lot of hp to begin with).

edit: I might be wrong though, as "throw" skillset gets stronger with 6 range. Gotta test that.
S3 Official Refresh Spammer