• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Chrono Compendium hacking projects go down

Started by FFMaster, May 11, 2009, 04:07:00 am

FFMaster

May 11, 2009, 04:07:00 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FFMaster
Quoted from their front page

Quote from: "Chrono Compendium"On May 8, we received a wide-reaching cease and desist letter from Square Enix, Inc. As with Chrono Trigger: Resurrection and Chrono Trigger Remake Project's letters, we have uploaded the letter for viewing here as a matter of public interest.

We have decided to comply with Square Enix's demands. Most of the Chrono Compendium webpages and forums will be unaffected by these changes. However, our compliance has the practical effect of ending the Compendium's support for ROM modification projects of any kind, with regard to copyrighted Square Enix works such as Chrono Trigger, Radical Dreamers, and Chrono Cross. We have already destroyed all known copies of Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes and other modifications and projects. We have also shut down and made inaccessible any discussion boards used for the development of ROM-hacking fan projects on this website, including:

* Chrono Trigger: Crimson Echoes
* Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile
* Retranslation of Chrono Trigger
* Chrono Trigger Re-amped
* Chrono Trigger Rebirth
* Chrono Trigger Azala Style

Affected parties may contact the administration in private if there is any personal information they wish to retrieve from the deprecated forums.

We do not accept the validity of Square Enix's claims, nor the legal rationale underpinning their position. Nonetheless, we are complying with their demands so as to avoid the expenses and burdens of litigation, because, frankly, they can afford a frivolous lawsuit more than we can.

We thank all those who have been involved in the affected projects for their spirited energy over the years, and we look forward to the day when non-profit, fan-made projects will be properly recognized as a fan-base boon and marketing opportunity tool, rather than silenced as innocent victims of prohibitively interpreted copyright law.

Sincerely,

ZeaLitY and the Chrono Compendium Staff

Kinda makes me worried about FFH. Projects there have been going for quite a while though, and since the recent release of CTDS, I guess Square finally got off their asses and stopped them.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

LastingDawn

May 11, 2009, 04:29:52 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
If we stay under the radar we should be fine. That's the hope anyhow. Also Square has always been pretty personal about Chrono Trigger itself, if memory serves me right. I think we should be fine.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Xifanie

May 11, 2009, 06:47:00 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
I talked with ZeaLitY (CC's admin) and I believe not.

Whoever it is possible SE is only after major hacks and use them as a base to kill hacking communities since they only acted when CT: CE's release was announced when it was 98% done.

Our situation is identical, only to lower proportions. We have 3 times less members, existed for about 2.5x less time, and aren't really near completely any major hack.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Asmo X

May 11, 2009, 07:18:39 am #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Look at this strongly worded email I just sent off to square-enix

"HEY. FAGGOTS. IM ASMO FROM FINAL FANTASY HACKTICS THE FINAL FANTASY TACTICS HACKING WEBSITE. MAYBE YOU'VE HEARD OF ME? WELL I JUST THOUGHT I'D WRITE TO SAY WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKO DICKHEADS YOU ARE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, YOU CAN FIND ME AT THE FINAL FANTASY TACTICS HACKING WEBSITE WHERE WE HACK FINAL FANTASY TACTICS. THE URL IS www.ffhacktics.com. OR AREN'T YOU MAN ENOUGH TO FACE ME? DIDN'T THINK SO"

Vanya

May 11, 2009, 07:20:08 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
The whole situation is bullshit on Square's part.
All they accomplished with this is to piss off ppl and shrink their fan base.
Just makes me want to "aggressively pursue" piracy against them.
Fuck square. ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

beawulfx

May 11, 2009, 08:44:46 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by beawulfx
I was so saddened to see that. I can't believe that they sent the cease and desist when the project had been worked on for years and years and then when it was just about to be released they dropped this on them. That is so cruel and aggravating, I can't imagine how tough that would be for those behind the project.

I hope that the amazing work being done here doesn't suffer the same fate. That would be terrible.
My FFT 1.3030 videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 18EFFEA0AD
My FFT: Mercenaries videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 174F169EE5
My FFV Random Class Challenge videos can be found at; http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... C9F3BD69BF

Dokurider

May 11, 2009, 10:45:23 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
Quote from: "Asmo X"Look at this strongly worded email I just sent off to square-enix

"HEY. FAGGOTS. IM ASMO FROM FINAL FANTASY HACKTICS THE FINAL FANTASY TACTICS HACKING WEBSITE. MAYBE YOU'VE HEARD OF ME? WELL I JUST THOUGHT I'D WRITE TO SAY WHAT A BUNCH OF FUCKO DICKHEADS YOU ARE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, YOU CAN FIND ME AT THE FINAL FANTASY TACTICS HACKING WEBSITE WHERE WE HACK FINAL FANTASY TACTICS. THE URL IS www.ffhacktics.com. OR AREN'T YOU MAN ENOUGH TO FACE ME? DIDN'T THINK SO"

lol

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 12:28:31 pm #7 Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 12:47:20 pm by ehrgeiz20
This pisses me off. I believe seeing as we bought the fucking game we should be able to do what ever the fuck we want with it. It isn't like we're are trying to sell the patches/hacks that we make for profit. We do it for fun or because we feel like it. I really enjoy Square games but they're fucked up on this part. I'm going to write an email as well... I let you know there response when i get the chance... What's the email for Square-Enix?
"A little sport before dying, dear boy?"

Dome

May 11, 2009, 12:41:36 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dome
Quote from: "Asmo X"Look at this strongly worded email I just sent off to square-enix

Harsh as always but also straight to the meaning and fucking well sayed as always.
Quote from: "Chrono Compendium"We do not accept the validity of Square Enix's claims, nor the legal rationale underpinning their position ... and we look forward to the day when non-profit, fan-made projects will be properly recognized as a fan-base boon and marketing opportunity tool, rather than silenced as innocent victims of prohibitively interpreted copyright law
The sad truth

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 12:49:19 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
I found the email and street address for Square of North America...
I'll write the email when I get home.

Asmo X

May 11, 2009, 01:53:28 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I didnt write an email. It was a joke.

Do not email them. It wont do anything. If you do it anyway, don't mention FFH for fuck's sake.

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 01:55:50 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
I wasn't going to mention FFH. I am not retarded.

Asmo X

May 11, 2009, 02:09:19 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
you can never tell. I'm sure there's some dumbass prepping an email that goes "As a member of another hacking community, I know how much hard work it takes.." etc etc.

LastingDawn

May 11, 2009, 04:26:05 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
There's something odd come up in this case... as Tithin guessed this could all still be fake.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg134196

The e-mail in the cease and desist was fake in any case. Also isn't it really suspicious how they put that Ultimatum of "If Square wants to shut us down, we'll comply" in their own readme? Not to mention how every member is just ready to roll over and "die" as it is.

Art of War

FaustWolf

May 11, 2009, 06:02:51 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by FaustWolf
Hey guys, FaustWolf from the Chrono Compendium here. I was on the CE beta testing team and did some technical work for the project late in development. Let me assure you that even internally, the CE team fully believes this C&D to be the real McCoy. What was pointed out over at RH.net could be the result of internal intranet setup as also has been pointed out over there, perhaps spam protection measures.

That is far easier to believe IMO than a grand scheme in which someone hoaxed the entire CE team and the entire fan modding community. Agent12 (main coder of Crimson Echoes) actually received a physical letter along with the electronic one ZeaLitY received. Whoever did this either had the power to find out where Agent12 actually lived, or already knew where he lived. If this was a hoax, it resulted from a truly, truly demented mind.

Nor can I find a motive, because even if this was a hoax the project release date will likely have to be pushed back, by an amount that depends on the state of any remaining copies we'd be able to track down.

That said, Agent12 is going to contact Square Enix soon so we can put an end to this one way or another. If this was a hoax, it was one for the history books and someone should write a sociology paper about mass hysteria using this as an example.

Kaijyuu

May 11, 2009, 06:31:12 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Either way, this is utterly revolting. Fanart is fanart, whether it be an image, music, or a game.
Why the hell would anyone want to stifle it?
  • Modding version: PSX

LastingDawn

May 11, 2009, 06:59:07 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ah, FaustWolf, awesome avatar, though yes, I have to admit this wouldn't be the first time Square's gone mad over Chrono Trigger related media. Though I really hope this isn't the end of the project, but it was a very closed beta, wasn't it? Wouldn't that mean someone close to the entire project betrayed you? Or was it open to the public?

Art of War

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 07:03:16 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "Asmo X"you can never tell. I'm sure there's some dumbass prepping an email that goes "As a member of another hacking community, I know how much hard work it takes.." etc etc.

Very so true. I hope no one has done this.

Oblivion

May 11, 2009, 07:06:21 pm #18 Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:11:37 pm by ehrgeiz20
Quote from: "LastingDawn"There's something odd come up in this case... as Tithin guessed this could all still be fake.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg134196

The e-mail in the cease and desist was fake in any case. Also isn't it really suspicious how they put that Ultimatum of "If Square wants to shut us down, we'll comply" in their own readme? Not to mention how every member is just ready to roll over and "die" as it is.

Your insight seems to be feasible but are you implying that someone from Chrono Compendium created the hoax or someone else created it?

EDIT:
I do not see this as an inside job, because the people who spent the years doing these hacks would not want it to end when they are so close to completion. If they did want it to end like this, they are fucked up in the head and have no idea how much people are going to hate them for doing so. Luckily though, if it is a hoax then all of their precious work can be brought back and the hack can be completed.

LastingDawn

May 11, 2009, 07:08:37 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well, one or the other. I don't know if Square-Enix would step this far out of the way. Though they do protect Chrono Trigger like a child... thankfully Final Fantasy doesn't have this sort of handicap to it.

Art of War