• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:36 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

ff4(2us) hack lol patch

Started by Zozma, February 02, 2011, 09:51:27 pm

Zozma

February 02, 2011, 09:51:27 pm Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:44:23 pm by Eternal248
Well, I got pretty bored trying to work on a fft patch with way too many goals to complete in a timely manner so ive taken a detour and worked on a easy ass project.

It's not the typical cecil/golbez switcheroo or anything tho...

Final Party:

Cecil Dark Knight
Black (limited)
Dark Wave
Cover

Kain Dragoon
White (limited)
Jump
----

Rydia Caller
Black
Summon
Focus

Edward Bard
White
Sing (multi target high success rate)
Hide (not automatic on critical)

Anna Dancer
Black
Regen
Focus
-------------------
Temporary
-------------------

Tellah Sage
White
Black
Focus

Palom
Black
Twin
Focus

Porom
White
Twin
Cry

Baigan
White (limited)
Store
----

Cid
Scan
Fission Bomb
----

Yang
Kick
Chakra
----

Rosa
White
Aim
----

Edge
Throw
Steal
----

-------------------
Dummied Characters
-------------------

FuSoYa Lunar
White
Black
Regen

Sheila Thief
Kick
Chakra
Steal

Sandy Magus
White
Jump
Sing

Cindy Magus
White
Black
Focus

Mindy Magus
Black
Focus
Steal

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

MasterGrand

February 27, 2011, 02:48:47 am #1 Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:57:19 am by MasterGrand
Wow it is amazing

how those edited sprite & portrait ? Is this patch ?
Let's be together !!

Eternal

Do you really think it's polite to call someone's work "horrible"? At least try to offer constructive feedback.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

DaveSW

I, for one like the bard.  Lol patch, indeed!

When you finish, I would love to play this.
I am awesome.

LastingDawn

February 27, 2011, 01:59:29 pm #4 Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 02:06:14 pm by LastingDawn
I get the feeling that he meant "horrible" in a good way, since if I recall right the fellow doesn't speak English well.

But Baigan! I love that you put him in the game Zozma! This seems like it would be a blast to play! Baigan has been one of my favorite FF4 characters and I always felt as if he was meant to have a bigger role originally.

Also blows my poor excuse for a Baigan sprite out of the water. So you put in story changes and apparently Rosa dies or becomes unable to fight in the final party? Looks great!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Zozma

March 01, 2011, 08:14:38 pm #5 Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 10:01:24 pm by Zozma
Baigan temporarly joins your party in the baron inn where yang normally would rejoin. he is the only version of a "Paladin" that you get in this game but has more spells then cecil normally learns and can equip axes and spears in addition to regular swords.

event editing is difficult, so i am very limited in what i can do, however, it is easy enough to do things like adding/removing a character. Rosa doesn't die, but you do get separated from her for the rest of the game even after you went through the trouble of rescuing her. you also get separated from edge when you fall thru the pitfall in the crystal room after fighting his parents. (yeah you keep edge for like a whole 15 minutes if you're not playing in super fast forward mode? lol) Im attempting to set it up so that you can get almost any of the temps to replace your final party members. the only problem here will be that anyone thats not saved in the "shadow party" will be reset to their default level and status, but their learned magic will not reset, resulting in duplicated spells in the list.

the only other thing i couldn't really change was that the actor slot that sheila is in, was originally yang. so the damage value of any weapon she equips is not counted. so i gave her unique weapons "sabers" which add an element to her bare handed base attack. she can also equip rods too to boost her black magic power as well if you prefer to make her more of a mage type.

and about edward, don't worry about him being a sub-par character. as a black mage with a long range weapon that does much better damage than bow and arrow at long distance, hes pretty good.

LastingDawn

Quote from: Zozma on March 01, 2011, 08:14:38 pm
Baigan temporarly joins your party in the baron inn where yang normally would rejoin. he is the only version of a "Paladin" that you get in this game but has more spells then cecil normally learns and can equip axes and spears in addition to regular swords.

event editing is difficult, so i am very limited in what i can do, however, it is easy enough to do things like adding/removing a character. Rosa doesn't die, but you do get separated from her for the rest of the game even after you went through the trouble of rescuing her. you also get separated from edge when you fall thru the pitfall in the crystal room after fighting his parents. (yeah you keep edge for like a whole 15 minutes if you're not playing in super fast forward mode? lol) Im attempting to set it up so that you can get almost any of the temps to replace your final party members. the only problem here will be that anyone thats not saved in the "shadow party" will be reset to their default level and status, but their learned magic will not reset, resulting in duplicated spells in the list.

the only other thing i couldn't really change was that the actor slot that sheila is in, was originally yang. so the damage value of any weapon she equips is not counted. so i gave her unique weapons "sabers" which add an element to her bare handed base attack. she can also equip rods too to boost her black magic power as well if you prefer to make her more of a mage type.

and about edward, don't worry about him being a sub-par character. as a black mage with a long range weapon that does much better damage than bow and arrow at long distance, hes pretty good.
Hmm, I've tried my hand at FFIV event editing before and found it to be a rather simple and intuitive approach, especially for way back when. It is basically a heavily dumbed down version of FFT's event system. There's a program around... I think, that allows you to edit the events with ease.

Art of War

Zozma

March 03, 2011, 08:17:57 pm #7 Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 08:56:55 pm by Zozma
wow really? the last version of that i found didnt work. if  you are able to find that or point me in the right direction, id be in heaven.

my main problem is i cant make the right npc's appear now that ive swapped out characters you have at certain points in the game. and sometimes when i change an event too drastically, the following events are screwed up, which can sometimes cause the game to be completely stuck.

oh yeah, some other changes i made: Sight, Mini, Dispell and Piggy were all really pointless spells so i changed them

Sight -> Blind
I NEVER used sight, and for a game like this it really isn't necessary. this actually gives you a way to inflict
"blind" status on an enemy for once

Dispell-> Curse
There are so few monsters in ff4 that you would actually need to cast dispell on rendering it almost completely useless. Curse actually does have a significant impact on some monsters that are not going to go down in just one or two hits as it halves damage and defense. edwards song version can cast this on all targets

Mini-> Nova [custom spell, like a "Holy" version of meteo slightly weaker because it has a specific element
ok, so you have Toad, Mini, and Piggy? remind me again about their differences? well it may be worth mentioning that even if you liked one of these, i had to dummy piggy and mini in order to make Golbez full sprite available without removing any other characters. Besides, a multi target offensive holy spell? i think you'll enjoy that near the end game especially if you like to solo

these three really do make the white mage more useful since they generally have crappy weapon selection and pa damage output.

Piggy -> Aero
well, piggy was amusing i guess,

LastingDawn

Like the sound of all those changes, especially changing up those oh so useless spells. The only difference that comes to mind is different enemy resistances to them, they pulled that a lot in FFII as well. Also cool to see that you gave the player a way to inflict curse that didn't rely on that old Ancient Sword, worthless trash... If it inflicted it as an Item, that would have been something, but as it stood, worthless.

Can you show me which Event Editor you're using first? It's a possibility I may be directing you to exactly the same one, hehe...

Art of War

Zozma

March 03, 2011, 10:42:06 pm #9 Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:04:25 pm by Zozma
um i forget the name of it but it pretty much pulls up a browser page, you type in the changes in the window for things like text changes or map changes (town only) and it converts those changes into hex that you copy/paste into the game with a hex editor. but you have to be careful that you dont change the number of bytes it was originally or everything gets screwed up... so its not the easiest thing to deal with

other 2 things i have at my disposal are Smchack for the spells and items
and ff4usme

LastingDawn

That... is precisely what I had used. Though the instructions seemed simple enough. And the few changes I made worked well enough, it was also very constricting in space. This was 1990 and they had to save every byte they possibly could, I suppose. I know I took out a few useless events and found it to be rather useful, hmm...

I'll take another look at it and see if my memory holds up to re-testing.

Art of War

LastingDawn

Hmm, I can't even get the tools working now... did you have to do anything special to make them work for you, Zozma?

Art of War

Zozma

no, they all just work for me. i got a lot of info from a site called ff4 reference book or something. for everything i just used a hex editor for

Zozma

wait, im gonna create a "gravity" spell, as there is actually a formula for it that would be fitting for cecil to learn instead of one of the other spells.

im also going to create the spell "Melt" as well.

LastingDawn

Ah, similar to is Dissidia moves? Actually, that would make a rather unique Dark Knight, if you were to base some of Dark Knight Cecil's (since he is with you for the whole game) skills on Dissidia.

Art of War

Zozma

March 06, 2011, 08:07:40 pm #15 Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:11:12 pm by Zozma
yeah, im trying to give each character with black magic at least one unique spell.

even if it doesn't quite make sense, every character with a magic list can learn all the spells of their set. only the more physical attack based characters will learn them much slower. for example, Cecil doesn't even learn a spell until lvl 15 (and its Drain). i set it to be that way obviously to give the original mage characters more emphasis on what they are. but even the mages now each have unique weapon sets, for example, white mages can equip hammers as well. and palom can equip boomerangs.

im also having one more difficulty and thats finding a way to give FuSoYa a "name" slot because there are only 14 name slots and 16 characters. you don't have to be able to change his name because you never get him in your party since golbez joins you at the moon lol. but his name displaying in that zemus battle would be nice.

Zozma

March 13, 2011, 04:28:37 pm #16 Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 04:33:33 pm by Zozma
almost done, not w story. weve all played this so whatever. some things wont make sense. but at least ill have a patch

i had trouble with Actor number 16 (anna) . there is enough space for 10(hex 16) initial datas which determine the sprite/job handedness equip etc. however, they never intended on using actor 16 as a playable character, therefore the "load" data which would need to be 0F didn't exist because the last load slot ended with Golbez and then code from that point on was for something else. changing any of that results in game freeze.

i managed to find the nearest 0F which made anna's actor like 60+ lol... i was so happy to see that it actually worked. tricking the game into thinking that actor 60 or whatever is actor 16. and there is actually equipment slots for such an actor as well. I successfully made use of an extra full sprite for the game, gave golbez a portrait. now i have to find a pointer for golbez job name, currently it says "FightIt"
because immediately after job names is the battle menu names lol. fight item. then also a pointer for FuSoYa to have a name.

Cheetah

Pretty cool stuff Zozma, you should post some preview vids.
Current Projects:

Zozma

March 14, 2011, 04:20:19 pm #18 Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:27:41 pm by Zozma
I will once i manage to get internet back at home where my file is :p

its mainly for the point of having a different party/gameplay etc. if there were better event tools id put more effort into things making sense as far as characters joining/leaving

Zozma

March 16, 2011, 04:20:57 am #19 Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:26:27 am by Zozma
for some reason im not able to make the vids like i used to... but i can at least explain a few of the changes.

the top 2 show an improvement to sing. it multi targets and instead of a 25% chance of nothing it can also cast hold and curse

the next one shows a special move similar to white wind, healing formula being 1/3rd of each targets current hp, its more helpful for preventing critical status than for getting you out of it...

then one shows that there are "new" weapons, not just for this character but in general.

lastly showing that anna and golbez do not have mere half sprites now, yet they are not overwriting original characters.