• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:49:11 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

My Jot5 impressions. And a tiny question. :)

Started by IcePenguin, July 30, 2014, 12:10:28 am

IcePenguin

I downloaded this patch, unaware of what it was about, and honestly, I didn't expect much.  (I didn't even know who the 5 were, or anything)  Anyway, I started a new game and during the first event... my jaw dropped to the floor.  "Is this for REAL?"

Really... I did not believe what I had seen.  That first scene sucker-punched me right in the feels.

Then comes along scene number two.  The Lost Woods?   "Is this the Zelda Lost Woo.... LINK!!!  AAAAAH"

By this point, I'm just completely absorbed into the game, and lose all sense of being.  I would go on about my reactions to Snake and Dante, but my brain literally exploded.  It feels like it was a dream.  These 5 together is the best gaming experience I've had in a long, long time.   Thank you, sincerely, to the development team.

Jot5 is truly inspiring!   :cry:

Oh, and a tiny question:  Is it possible to beat the 6-turtle-encounter at Zirekile Falls?  At this early in the game, it's such an overwhelming fight that I end up hitting reset.  :oops:

3lric

Reading this gave me all sorts of warm feels inside. Lol

Thank you very much for the feedback, we are still working hard to get the Chapter 1 re-release finished
and out to you guys. Chapter 2 is nearing its end as well, and should be well worth the wait :)

As for them turtles, ill let Raven answer that one as I just do events and story stuff.
  • Modding version: PSX

Lijj

I think if I had just found this patch, not knowing about it since it's inception; I would feel exactly the same way playing JOT5.
'Am I dreaming?; Did I just dig this ROM thingy up from some parallel universe...
From the mines deep within my subconscious? Where the hell did this come from!?'

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: IcePenguin on July 30, 2014, 12:10:28 amIs it possible to beat the 6-turtle-encounter at Zirekile Falls?  At this early in the game, it's such an overwhelming fight that I end up hitting reset.  :oops:

It's beatable but it's a lot easier to beat once you come back to it with more skills.  The enemies die much easier and it makes you feel like a badass after they've beat you up so much early on.

IcePenguin

Thank you for the replies.  I've completed Chapter 1, and the excitement never faded.

It took about 15 hours, and my party levels ranged from 22-28.  Strangely, I never bothered changing jobs for any of the main five.  It just didn't feel right, haha.  So I have no idea if there are any new jobs or what new skills are available.   :P

The Chapter 1 finale was very difficult.  Thanks to much luck, I was able to win.

A minor critique:

It was a bit odd to view a battle's event scene before being prompted to position party members.  It kinda ruined the flow of the moment.

3lric

If you were allowed to pick the 5 people you were gonna use before hand, how would I know what people were going to be in the event?

ALL the Jot5 battles work this way, in Vanilla, they didn't have to, because there was only 1 main character. We have 5 so I get all of them into
the cutscenes BEFORE formation because you can have generics or monsters in your party and you cannot guarantee that it will be the 5
in the event, and since each unit has a unique ID, it just won't work any other way. Though I dont fault you for bringing this up since, not currently
being a modder or eventer, you'd have no way of knowing this.

I'm/we are very glad you enjoyed it! And we hope you will stick around for Chapter 2 as well! :)

IcePenguin

Oh, that makes a lot of sense!  It honestly wasn't a big issue.  The only real reason why it stood out to me was because it never happened in the original FFT. 

I really look forward to Chapter 2!  However, I read somewhere on the forum that we would have to start an entirely new save file when Chapter 2 is released.  Is this still true?  Just curious.  (or maybe I misread something)   :?

3lric

This is actually true due to the fact that we have restructured the "Marks" system, this will make it look a lot better by instead of using "Rumors", using
"Propositions" and replacing the rumors with "Bar Banter" instead.

A lot of people may have issues with this, since they already played through Ch1, but we are prepared for that. So in addition to the above change, we
are also changing the JP gaining formula so you will gain a bit more. We've also added 3 more marks to Chapter 1 as well as a new/extended boss battle.
As well as some general cleanup that was done due to me having much better eventing skill now than what I did when I made the Chapter 1 events. :P

Jumza

Quote from: Elric on August 06, 2014, 07:45:29 pm
As well as some general cleanup that was done due to me having much better eventing skill now than what I did when I made the Chapter 1 events. :P

You better fix that random guy who just stands there doing nothing in the goug slums :P
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

* Elric points to the Event Giveaway thread

Go back to your corner.

IcePenguin

Speaking of Marks, that is such a great addition to the game!  In the original game, that is how I thought Errands were going to be, but ended up being rather lame, and annoying, due to random battles.  I cannot wait to experience the new release of Jot5!   :shock:  I will take pleasure in destroying all the silly frogs again, in the Warjilis Mark.

Also, about what Jumza said, there is an enemy unit in the Thieves' Fort (on top of the wall) that just stood in one spot for a good amount of the battle.  He didn't move or act until I went on top of the wall to engage him.  It was the Mage.