• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:10:17 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Any way to put any music (from outside the game) in-game?

Started by Mental_Gear, July 15, 2009, 06:19:04 am

Xifanie

Are you sure this is for a FFT ISO and not a sound file? I tried patching my ISO and it gave me a "not the same size" warning, and after patching the ISO wouldn't run anymore.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

gomtuu

Quote from: "Zodiac"Are you sure this is for a FFT ISO and not a sound file? I tried patching my ISO and it gave me a "not the same size" warning, and after patching the ISO wouldn't run anymore.
It is for the ISO. Mine is 541,315,152 bytes long (2352 bytes/sector). I just applied my patch and FFT1.3 to the same ISO and they both worked... Hmmm...

I don't know if this matters, but I made the PPF with "MakePPF 2.0 W32 Version Icarus/Paradox" and I applied it with PPF-o-Matic 3.0.

jimmyjw88

Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

gomtuu

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"So meaning we need that to work?
If you mean FFT 1.3, then no, you don't need that for it to work. I was just saying that my patch and 1.3 both worked on my ISO, which leads me to believe that my ISO isn't unusual.

If you mean PPF-o-Matic, then yes, it's possible that PPF-o-Matic would work and other patchers wouldn't for some reason. That's just a guess, though, and for all I know, Zodiac is also using PPF-o-Matic. Does anybody have any ideas?

jimmyjw88

Well, I tested on Original ISO and it worked. Now, I'll try 1.3

EDIT: Well, both 1.3 and original ISO worked. Yay ^^
Very very nice gomtuu. But need hex editing?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Xifanie

Don't mind my previous post; I just didn't try hard enough. I made it work. Now I want info to compose my own songs!!
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Vanya

Have you looked into the PSF ripping tools? Maybe they could give you some insight to the FFT music format.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

gomtuu

As promised, here's what I've been able to figure out about the SMD format so far:

http://www.ffhacktics.com/wiki/Music/SMD

Cheetah

Hot damn that is impressive! I don't even know what have of that stuff means.
Current Projects:

Vanya

Very interesting. It isn't very dissimilar from the way most SNES or even NES sound formats are structured.
Thanks a lot for finding this info, Gomtuu. ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Sephirot24

Woah! That's really really impressive Gomtuu!!

It'd be awesome if you (or anyone up to it) could make a video tutorial on it. At least the basics...
I'd love to compose for you guys, but I don't understand anything about hex :(

SilvasRuin

Now I can't help but want Battle on the Bridge or whatever the FFT song is called to be replaced by the classic Clash on the Big Bridge, Gilgamesh's recurring theme...

Kokojo

I request that Gomtuu's posts shall become stickies.

THis is HOW TO EDIT MUSIC guys.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Kokojo

I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

formerdeathcorps

June 18, 2011, 01:21:13 am #35 Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 06:31:22 pm by formerdeathcorps
This thread:

1) Needs to be made a sticky.
2) http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Music/SMD needs to be consolidated with http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Music for easy searching.
3) There needs to be a program that converts MIDI files (or the .txt equivalent) into the format used by FFT for easy patching.  It would need to read a FFT song and tell you how many sectors it uses.  It would be very nice if such a program also had playback features so you could test your composition beforehand.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Dome

The first post should be edited to include the "Tutorial"

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

formerdeathcorps

July 31, 2011, 10:29:27 pm #37 Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:32:38 pm by formerdeathcorps
I think I found some more.

There's a section from 0x290d8 - 2a8d4 (length 0x1800) that's just pure nonsense in terms of opcodes, but seems to obey a mathematical law in terms of the pattern of number displayed.
If you put a read on this section, you end up finding that reads 2 bytes from the above "table" into r4, but never seems to use r4 at all (at least where I could trace).  r16 holds a value that constantly shifts between 4-6 sources.  The overall code is at 0x14D70 in RAM (or 0x5570 in SCUS).  More suspiciously, however, each complete cycle of r16 values produces one note of the song currently being played (recall...debug/breakpoint mode usually causes silence or a frozen note sound).  Thus, I suspect:

0x14D70 is part of the ASM code that reads music
0x290D8 is a table that functions as the custom sounds for FFT.
The fluctuating r16 values (RAM addresses) are those of the various musical channels, and each channel is 0x2C0 long.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

pokeytax

Bump!

I've been tinkering with this.  In fact, I have a working MIDI converter.  The output is recognizable, but awful, due to a combination of the percussion channel being read as pitched, my current inability to play notes that are longer than a couple measures, instruments being arbitrarily remapped because I don't know the instrument codes for FFT, and probably some other issues like dropped notes and bad header data being masked by the above.  They're also fairly large, which I can do a bit to remedy, but not too much.  I'll keep at it.

If anyone has any notes on the coding end of this beyond what's on the wiki, that would be music to my ears.  gomtuu's stuff (I think? anyone who pitched in has my thanks too) was instrumental in getting this thing humming along.

Gokzarak

There is music repeated in different fights or events in the game, there will be a way for each map to choose the music and another is not repeated.