• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:20:17 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Any way to put any music (from outside the game) in-game?

Started by Mental_Gear, July 15, 2009, 06:19:04 am

Mental_Gear

July 15, 2009, 06:19:04 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7mOCsh6R_E

However...that use of Those Who Fight Further could just be down to editing really...

Kaijyuu

July 15, 2009, 06:56:47 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Maybe in a couple years when someone decodes how it all works.
  • Modding version: PSX

Mental_Gear

July 15, 2009, 08:15:26 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Ah, thanks for that. I can live with that.

However, is there any way to, say, use custom sound effects for ability animations though?

Vanya

July 15, 2009, 05:31:37 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That's sorta already been decoded. Look into the PSF music format.
http://www.neillcorlett.com/psf/
Your problem would be modifying 'outside' songs to work with FFT's samples & encoding.
Both FFT & FF7 have been made into PSF format so the data for how they work is already available.
It will require some extensive ASM knowledge.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Mental_Gear

July 15, 2009, 06:41:05 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Ah, okay, I'll look. Thing is I wanted to replace the harp sound effect with the FF Prelude arpeggios played on electric guitar XD

Mental_Gear

July 16, 2009, 06:00:57 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Mental_Gear
Ah, I had a look and PSF lab seems intriguing. I'll download it and see what it's capable of. It seems as though a GUI equivalent of ASM (regarding BGM and SFX only, of course) could be on the horizon if the program is further developed.

Sephirot24

September 02, 2009, 01:30:34 am #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Quote from: "Vanya"That's sorta already been decoded. Look into the PSF music format.
http://www.neillcorlett.com/psf/
Your problem would be modifying 'outside' songs to work with FFT's samples & encoding.
Both FFT & FF7 have been made into PSF format so the data for how they work is already available.
It will require some extensive ASM knowledge.

Does this mean that:

a) There must be some way to convert some type of music format into PSF and use the PSF to insert it into FFT??

OR

b) There is a way to create music in PSF format and then insert it into FFT???

I'm interested in either of those. I want to import music into FFT. Converting some format and then inserting into FFT or having some program to make music directly in that format would both be great. Does anyone know if / how this works?

Kaijyuu

September 02, 2009, 03:01:34 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kaijyuu
My guess is that PSX games work similarly to SNES ones; you can't directly port any song from one game to another without heavy modifications to the music routines.

Even if you could take a song from one game and stick it in FFT, it wouldn't sound right because the instruments FFT uses are different from any other game. You'd get some glitchy tune that sounds vaguely like the original.

However, it's probably possible to re-write the song so it sounds similar in FFT. That would take a lot of effort, though. Plus if you wanted authenticity, you'd have to modify FFT's samples... and that means screwing with all the original songs/sound effects.
  • Modding version: PSX

Sephirot24

September 02, 2009, 07:04:33 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sephirot24
Yeah. I thought that the most probable one was making a song using FFTs instruments, or converting some sequenced format like MIDI.

I can make MIDIs. Or I'd probably be able to make the song directly in FFTs format if there was a program...
Too bad I know shit about programming, and the fact that it's in english (not my native language) makes it a little harder :(

Zozma

September 02, 2009, 07:18:53 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
hah, id love to hear a version of Asellus' endboss music from saga frontier redone with the fft instruments and slowed to match a fft battle pace lol..
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

LastingDawn

September 02, 2009, 07:23:52 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Eh? You think such methods might actually work... well if FFVII and FFT uses the same sound programs there might be some notes scattered about...
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Vanya

September 02, 2009, 09:04:17 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
They don't as far as I know.
¯\(°_0)/¯

gomtuu

September 30, 2009, 09:25:52 am #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Have you guys seen this?

http://pjbarnes.com/music_55.html

Looks like somebody figured out quite a bit about the music file (SMD) format.

Cheetah

September 30, 2009, 10:55:56 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Wow gomtuu good find. If nothing else this tells us a lot about the potential structure of the files. Great to see you here again, it has been a really long time.
Current Projects:

LastingDawn

September 30, 2009, 01:10:57 pm #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Yes I've seen it... and from what I can tell a lot of that info. seems almost flat out wrong, at least the first parts, nothing in that first part controls "tempo" as he puts it, but in any case... welcome back Gomtuu! I haven't seen you around in Ages!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

gomtuu

October 01, 2009, 10:11:15 pm #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by gomtuu
Glad to know you guys are still here too! Yeah, obviously I haven't been active here for several months. I did take another look at Ganesha a couple of weeks ago, though. I may work on it some more in the near future. I've just felt so busy for such a long time!

I saw your map mockup, Cheetah. Very cool! I'm sorry you can't (yet) make it a reality.

Quote from: "LastingDawn"from what I can tell a lot of that info. seems almost flat out wrong, at least the first parts
:( Too bad.

Cheetah

October 01, 2009, 10:29:35 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Thanks Gomtuu, I look forward to any progress. Obviously I have been patiently waiting for whatever you come up with haha.
Current Projects:

gomtuu

I took another look at the music files. As it turns out, P.J. Barnes was right about the file structure and a few of the commands. This week, I also figured out how notes work and decoded a lot of the instructions, like Set Instrument, Set Octave, Loop, etc. I'll add my findings to the wiki soon.

I've attached a PPF that changes "Character Making" (MUSIC_34.SMD) into "Happy Birthday". Just patch a fresh FFT ISO and start a new game to hear it. :)

jimmyjw88

Wow!! Really? So it works??? So does that means we can put songs that we desire into the game?
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

gomtuu

Quote from: "jimmyjw88"So does that means we can put songs that we desire into the game?
Yes, although it will require hex editing until someone writes a tool to convert other music files (probably MIDI, or maybe ABC notation) to SMD automatically. Also, we're still stuck with the default set of instruments until we can decode WAVESET.WD.