• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:28:03 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

FFTEVGRP limited to 51 UNITS?

Started by FranktheTank, July 17, 2010, 06:08:31 am

FranktheTank

Is there another FFTEVGRP with a complete list of every UNIT?

FranktheTank

Bump because this is a good question. How come the Larg and Goltana UNIT sprites aren't in the UNIT editor. There are several other sprites missing too. How come the UNIT editor only has 51 sprites?

Xifanie

because it only contains the frames of units you can have in your formation. Of course there are a few extras which you could replace if you want.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

MagiusRerecros

How could we use this to get custom characters to appear properly in Formation? For example, say you added Zalbag to your party. In formation, he has the proper portrait, but he has a Ramza sprite. Now, say I export a .bmp of Zalbag's sprite sheet, cut out the front left view, and stick it in slot 08 in unit.bin (the blue Simon-looking guy). How would I get Zalbag's sprite to point to slot 08 in unit.bin?
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

CHIMERA

Quote from: "Zodiac"because it only contains the frames of units you can have in your formation. Of course there are a few extras which you could replace if you want.
The WLDFACE editor has EVERY portrait but the UNIT editor only has 51.

Say I wanted to use both goltana and larg, adding them with hex, I wouldn't be able to change their formation sprite because the FFTEVGRP editor doesn't have the UNIT sprite for them.
My theory is that whoever wrote it (which is great btw) didn't finish it?

CHIMERA

Quote from: "MagiusRerecros"Now, say I export a .bmp of Zalbag's sprite sheet, cut out the front left view, and stick it in slot 08 in unit.bin (the blue Simon-looking guy). How would I get Zalbag's sprite to point to slot 08 in unit.bin?

Hex code is one way, but you need the character code and job digit associated with that particular UNIT. In most cases those strange sprites are going to be "dead" sprites like Malak's "Hell Knight" job class which should be 30058074-0011 & 80058074-0011 if I'm not mistaken.

Zozma

no they DID finish the program, the fact is that square only provided a sheet with those 51 slots.

this provided link shows that you DO have the ability to change the assigned unit.bin sprite of any job to use different ones.

example, if you look at my screenshot youll see that i changed Celia's unit.bin sprite which originally looked like a bugged ramza or a big blob, now looks like the dancer sprite

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1495&start=100
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

MagiusRerecros

Thanks for the link, Zozma. Very helpful, especially when I didn't even see that topic before :D

MagiusRerecros

Also, quick question: are 0A (Simon) or 12 (Balmafula) ever actually used? I mean, sure they show up in cut-scenes, but they're never in formation/battle formation, so I don't really understand why they'd be in unit.bin...

Zozma

they were probably supposed to be guests at some point but no they are never used
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

MagiusRerecros

Awesome, thanks for the help, Zozma

megef2010

November 01, 2014, 12:21:44 pm #11 Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 01:14:13 pm by Elric
I have a quick question though is it possible to replace one of these portraits more than once? I've already added in 2 custom characters and I was trying to find a portrait to replace that didn't have a job class of its own...

EDIT1: Also, what about the portraits and menus labeled with a ?, I can't find them in the patcher or shishi sprite editor.

EDIT2: By job class I mean skillset.

Posts condenced.
DO NOT NECROBUMP 4 YEAR OLD POSTS BY PEOPLE WHO ARE NO LONGER ACTIVE
USE THE EDIT BUTTON

If you have a question, post in the help section if you are looking in a thread this old and cannot find a more
up to date answer.

-Elric

Famous last words - "I saw this in a movie it'll be great!"

Vaan

Imma tell you right now that double/triple/poly posting makes everyone mad, you could just edit your 1st commentary to say everything you wanted to say. Also this thread has been dead for 4 years, i dont think anyone is going to answer.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

3lric

• Modding version: PSX