• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:43 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Battle roles

Started by BrassLungs, March 27, 2014, 10:25:02 am

BrassLungs

Hi, I'm new here so if I'm posting in the wrong section, please forgive me.

Firstly, I want to tell all those involved how much I love this game. The initial idea sounded crazy to say the least (Snake in Ivalice!?). But the way you've guys have done it, it totally works. It feels as if I'm playing an official sequel, so I can tell how much you guys have put into it.

So my post is basically I've come here to get a bit of help with what roles the 5 should fit in battle. I'm not the best at Tactics and this game is a whole new game from Vanilla so I don't know how to build a good party yet (I've only just beat Barius Hill). So do I make Ramza a tank? Snake a healer? Link a jack of all trades? Please help me!?

Selius

March 31, 2014, 11:27:15 am #1 Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:53:35 am by Selius
you make em whatever you want, really. the game is not difficult if you know the trick to each battle. only the first bariaus hill battle and the final 2 battles of the chapter are teeth gritters if you take the time to plan a strategy, you know, 'cause this is a tactics game.

just dont:

1. make snake or dante mages. they have crap faith.
2. bother with chemist past the first hour of the game. potions are rendered obsolete pretty quickly. and make you go broke, to boot.
3. use any movement ability not named move jp up. the extra abilities this thing will buy you far overwhelms any benefit another movement ability has for you.
4. expect finishing touch to ever do anything useful. it's a "well, i'm fucked, might as well try"  move. if it works it's beautiful, but most of the time the low success rate makes it a waste of a turn.
5. level cloud as ex-soldier. 150 speed growth is just.. what is this i dont even. i suggest knight until you unlock geomancer. he will lose a bit of MA but only meteorain and finish touch care about MA and they're both pretty crappy.

do:

1. utilize ramza as a mage. he has the best faith and a female MA score. this makes him your best mage. he also has male HP, but Duke has a pretty low hp growth in exchange for the best combined PA/MA growth any of your characters can get.
2. recruit and utilize level 1 generics to gain jp without overleveling. this mod punishes the ever loving shit out of you in the last few story battles for being overleveled (do not level past 26. i made this mistake and it forced me to restart)
3. get assassinate for snake, mustang for dante, ice arrow and light arrow for link, and scream for ramza asap. these are your bread and butter abilities and will be your biggest asset for the bulk of the game.
4. level the other 4 as their unique classes as much as possible. snake gets the best speed growth in the game. dante has the best hp growth, link has the best ma growth for a male, and eventually ends up with almost the same MA as ramza, but suffers from the i dont know what they were thinking 150 speed growth curse.

Jumza

Do:
1. Use black magic. If you are stuck on a battle and none of your characters have black magic, then that's the problem. This is a golden skillset to have early on. White magic also becomes better later on.

2. Make use of Poison. I don't care how, just do it. This will destroy every unit in your path, especially if you are getting stuck in sandbag mode and don't have the turns to be spent doing other damage.

3. Branch out. The game is very difficult if you only use the base job + potion :P
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

3lric

I never Auto-Potion. Items are expensive, just get a monk and a priest.

Zyrku

Nyzer

Ramza: Go Wizard, pick up one or two damage spells, then slap that secondary onto Duke and stay there until you have Ultima and Altima. Then, send Ramza flying up the mage tree.
His overall purpose is basically to be your catch-all caster: combining the Duke's broad coverage with a later mage skill of your choice.

Link: Keep Link around the first tier of Jobs, picking up support abilities from Knight and Ranger while going for a White or Black Magic secondary once he can wield his weapons of choice in them. I personally preferred Link on bows, but he gets more AoE damage with a sword so your mileage may vary. Link's Songs are a major asset, particularly Saria's, as no other ability can restore MP so freely and to so many people at once.
Link's overall purpose is to be your jack-of-all trades, master-of-none. Keeping him focused on his base Job and one of the two first-tier casters will make sure that he, at least, doesn't suffer from empty skillsets.

Cloud: Cloud's role is similar to Link's, except with more focus on being a swordsman. Pick up Invigorate OR Sacrifice early on, then go back to his base Job and learn Cross-Slash and Omnislash before returning to Knighthood.
His setup is basically to be your mixed damage-dealer and support character. Healing if he has to, Immobilizing if it comes up, or just destroying them with Omni.

Dante: Pick up his dagger skills early on, then move to Knight and learn the Equip for them. It'll restrict Dante's damage output, but Flipper allows him to always have Regen and Defend ready to go, giving him AMAZING survivability as well as the ability to purge Poison whenever he likes. The rest of the dagger skills allow him to attack enemies from a distance (possibly even Paralyzing them) and have a high chance to move more than once per "turn" if he has to (to chase an enemy or flee from one). From there, send Dante climbing up the physical tree.
Dante is your tank/pursuer unit, looking to access more powerful Jobs when he can.

Snake: Go for Ranger almost immediately; some of Snake's most reliable abilities from his base Job are the ones he already has - Hide and Smoke Break, and you want to flesh out his steady offensive capability before you go back for the rest. Setting Snake up with both Ranger and Special Ops abilities allows him to work well as an assassin - debilitating enemies or attempting to one-shot them, at your command.

--------

That's just what I'd suggest and it's fairly simplified. Other people might have different setups.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

KingUrameshi

Quote from: nyzer on November 13, 2015, 03:44:02 pm
Ramza: Go Wizard, pick up one or two damage spells, then slap that secondary onto Duke and stay there until you have Ultima and Altima. Then, send Ramza flying up the mage tree.
His overall purpose is basically to be your catch-all caster: combining the Duke's broad coverage with a later mage skill of your choice.

Link: Keep Link around the first tier of Jobs, picking up support abilities from Knight and Ranger while going for a White or Black Magic secondary once he can wield his weapons of choice in them. I personally preferred Link on bows, but he gets more AoE damage with a sword so your mileage may vary. Link's Songs are a major asset, particularly Saria's, as no other ability can restore MP so freely and to so many people at once.
Link's overall purpose is to be your jack-of-all trades, master-of-none. Keeping him focused on his base Job and one of the two first-tier casters will make sure that he, at least, doesn't suffer from empty skillsets.

Cloud: Cloud's role is similar to Link's, except with more focus on being a swordsman. Pick up Invigorate OR Sacrifice early on, then go back to his base Job and learn Cross-Slash and Omnislash before returning to Knighthood.
His setup is basically to be your mixed damage-dealer and support character. Healing if he has to, Immobilizing if it comes up, or just destroying them with Omni.

Dante: Pick up his dagger skills early on, then move to Knight and learn the Equip for them. It'll restrict Dante's damage output, but Flipper allows him to always have Regen and Defend ready to go, giving him AMAZING survivability as well as the ability to purge Poison whenever he likes. The rest of the dagger skills allow him to attack enemies from a distance (possibly even Paralyzing them) and have a high chance to move more than once per "turn" if he has to (to chase an enemy or flee from one). From there, send Dante climbing up the physical tree.
Dante is your tank/pursuer unit, looking to access more powerful Jobs when he can.

Snake: Go for Ranger almost immediately; some of Snake's most reliable abilities from his base Job are the ones he already has - Hide and Smoke Break, and you want to flesh out his steady offensive capability before you go back for the rest. Setting Snake up with both Ranger and Special Ops abilities allows him to work well as an assassin - debilitating enemies or attempting to one-shot them, at your command.

--------

That's just what I'd suggest and it's fairly simplified. Other people might have different setups.

I agree with all of this and it is a good setup however I like to keep Ramza in more of a support role as I have more fun that way. Kinda like a "chemist" of sorts and I will probably end up going for mediator with him (like a leader role who doesn't really get his hands dirty  :P). As for Link I love to make him a black mage/archer role. Definitely Dante for my tank with Cloud there as backup and Snakes base job is just too much fun to play as.

Do what you like but definitely experiment with different jobs and fight the urge to keep the 5 in there base classes.
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Nyzer

Quotefight the urge to keep the 5 in there base classes.

The other extreme's nearly as bad. If you try to push them too hard away from their base Jobs and into climbing up the Job trees, they end up very weak. You want one or two of them in their base Job for every fight - expanding the skillset they're probably always going to be carrying as their secondary. This is especially true for Ramza; his skills may require some dedication to obtain, but they're worth the wait.
The only one I'd say who shouldn't really spend any time in his base Job is Snake - his Job is best left to return to later, when he's picked up the Ranger and Rogue sets. Like I said before, all he really needs to support those sets are the two abilities he already has from it. It'll be much easier to grind out Snake's base skills when he's carrying the debilitating abilities of Rangers.
And besides, he'll get spillover JP from the other four anyway.

All that said, you rarely want to keep the same characters in their base Jobs. You want to keep switching them out.

For example, at the start of the game - Ramza and Dante should stay in their base Jobs. Snake should become a Chemist before you even leave Lionel. Link and Cloud should switch to Chemistry as soon as you can acquire more daggers for them. Then you keep Ramza and Dante in their base Jobs for a while as Link moves for Priest, Cloud for Knight, and Snake for Ranger. Once Link and Cloud have a healing ability each, switch them back to their base Jobs, and start advancing Ramza and Dante, who should now have a good chunk of their most immediately useful abilities.

Then you start sending some of them back to base as necessary, depending on what you need in the next fight or whether one of them has just unlocked a Job and is going into it with no Action abilities unlocked, and you need someone to be able to cover for what you're missing there.

KingUrameshi

I'm really looking forward to making Ramza a mediator. Give him a gun, some talk skills mixed with his base class looks promising. And I wonder about Dante, if I make him a ninja I could give him both a knife and a sword and have a greater variety in his move set.

I also felt that having Link as a black mage/archer was a lot of fun and made him hugely versatile. I had a hard time figuring what to do with cloud and I think he might be the guy I keep out for generics, monsters or Agrias.

Pretty sure Snake is going to be my thief as I always have a master thief.
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

3lric

There is no Mediator :P

Mediator was replaced with Animist  :mrgreen: