• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:43 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[Old] FFT Plus 1.02 upcoming changes

Started by Dome, June 01, 2012, 12:45:58 pm

Stretch

If you hate samurais then do get rid of them, call them Mystic Knights and have their job description mention their elemental attacks. I liked the idea of the katanas being the same power with different elements. In other patches and in vanilla, I always wanted broader elemental attack options; yeah the Coral Sword is good against squid demons, but you can't use a weak weapon for too long. If the draw out abilities also target teammates, you can use elemental absorbtion to heal while damaging, adding tactical usefulness.

Calling this idea bland and lazy is glossing over the fact that it would make a class that's unique and operates differently from other classes in this game. I believe the idea would work.
Yeah, right

The Damned

(Yeah, I don't think anyone's going to fault you for turning Samurai into Mystic Knight if that's what you really want to do.)

That said, considering your Draw Outs are a lot more varied than I thought they would be just looking at your Katana, I have to ask this: Why didn't you want Katana to vary that much?

I mean, having them all be (relatively) the same power and all elemental is perfectly doable, but having them be exactly all the same power and vary only by elemental was the largest part of the problem. Minimal progression is difficult yet workable, but absolutely no progression is just begging for trouble.

So, regardless of whether or not of you decide to make Katana more like their respective Draw Outs or give them varying Item Attributes or turn Samurai into Mystic Knight, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Lower all elemental Katana's WP ceiling to 12.

2. Raise Masamune by another WP or two.

That way, "ideally", even if you for some reason want all the other elemental Katana to be exact same WP, they don't automatically overpower Masamune before boosting and should only rival it (or slightly outpower) even with boosting. I mean, yeah, Masamune now has Range 2 to help, but that's not really enough. Given how much of a pain in the ass it should be to get from Elmdor still and how it's still only going to be a one-of (and vulnerable to breaking or theft, presumably), even wanting the potential "weakness" to come into play, there's no reason that Masamune shouldn't be the "strongest".

Quote from: Dome on July 23, 2012, 08:02:57 amNeed more specific suggestions here, cause I don't know what to do with them atm

Yeah, Knightswords are rather difficult like Staves, especially considering when you start getting most Knightswords in most patches usually, i.e. not until Chapter 4 begins. As such, there's not much I can suggest, at least off the top of my head, considering I'm still having difficulty with them myself, even though I've "solved" Chapter issue.

That said, maybe lower Defender's WP, (slightly) up its W-EV even more, let it come earlier than the beginning of Chapter 4 and/or give it Item Attribute that helps it not be completely outclassed by Save the Queen's Always: Protect. (It probably should just be "Block: [Insert Negative Status Here]" and not "Always: Regen" or even Initial: Regen. Up to you though.)

Much like Katana, it would probably help a bit to make their WPs at least slightly different.

I'm not really sure what to do about Chaos Blade honestly, especially since I've never liked that overpowered thing. Like I said, even this version would probably be overpowered if it didn't likely come so late in the game that all its Petrify ability was coming up against (in story battles) was bosses immune to that effect. Even ARENA's version has never really been used up until this point.

As such, I guess my only advice here is try to think about when you want people to get Chaos Blade. Then think about what use it can actually have in the story battles after that, where the most important units are likely immune to Petrify (and some other stuff).

Shrug.

Quote from: Dome on July 23, 2012, 08:02:57 amWhich one do you think it's better?
Dragon whisker halves Holy/Dark
Dragon whisker WP down to 9

Well, I don't know what your body armor is going to look like, but of the two, I would say that halving "only" Holy & Dark is way better than obviating White Robes, even with "only" 9 WP. Of course, even with "only" that, Dragon Whisker could maybe stand to take a bit of WP drop. It depends on how many things are actually those elements.

Quote from: Dome on July 23, 2012, 08:02:57 amThe "cancel" is not 100%, is like every other weapon proc (unless I'm not properly recalling how a "Cancel" works when using a weapon)

Nah, it "should" only Cancel 25% of the time without formula 2D% or other coding changes, which is part of the reason White Staff has pretty much always sucked. Still seems a bit overpowered potentially, but as long as it's not 100%, then it's "fine".
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dome

Need some time to think on weapons. I'll just post in the first post what weapons look like atm and leave it there for now...

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

RavenOfRazgriz

>20% Petrify
>Overpowered

What.

Dome.  You balanced Draw Out fine.  You used every aspect of the abilities to do this well - that is the Element, Y value, Effect Area, Range, Vertical, Status Proc, etc.  Then you get to Katana, which have Range, Formula, WP, W-EV, Element, Skill Proc, Status Proc, innate Attributes as variables and the only one you bothered to use is Element.  You can make most of them at least somewhat usable end-game weapons while keeping a small progressive damage curve if you bothered to use the other 6 variables at your disposal.

Stretch

Shouldn't the Rifle actually be a Shotgun due to the small range?

Also, if a weapon has range and is also two swordable, a non-ranged weapon can also hit at the Masamune's range. Deal with that consequence, or make the Masamune forced 2 hands to negate the issue.
Yeah, right

The Damned

(Yeah, no one's asking you to rush yourself, Dome. Just don't be as lazy as me.)

Yeah, it's not like everything within a weapon category has to be useable with 2 Hands or 2 Swords even if most of them all.

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on July 23, 2012, 07:34:02 pm
>20% Petrify
>Overpowered

What.

As I said earlier, Dome put you on the verge of an aneurysm, so I was obviously trying to finish you off.

Seriously, though, we've been over my...distaste for things with damage "proc'ing" Petrify, at least as it is now. "Overpowered" was perhaps a bit of an overstatement though.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dome

Eternal

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

cingin

Dome

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 24, 2012, 10:24:19 am
I would never use the Venetian Shield. =x

Why?
Quote from: cingin on July 24, 2012, 10:38:58 am
Really like the variety of specials overall.

Thanks, and welcome back Cingin!

Eternal

Crystal Shield has slightly better evasion and the debuffs Venetian guards against aren't that bad and can be easily removed in the few instances they land.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Dome

So...to which status should the Venetian Shield make you immune to?

Eternal

Petrify, Undead, Stop, and maybe Crystal/Treasure. Maybe Frog. Things that can drastically alter the course of a battle. Alternately, just increase P-EVD by 10 so it's better (barely) than the Crystal Shield.

Dome

I don't want it to have better evasion than the crystal shield.
But I like your suggestion. I'll make the wielder immune to: Petrify Undead Stop Confusion Frog

Eternal

In thinking about it, maybe Confusion should be replaced with Slow, since that's a pain to treat without Haste.

Dome

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 24, 2012, 10:58:49 am
In thinking about it, maybe Confusion should be replaced with Slow, since that's a pain to treat without Haste.

Why not

skiploom188

Hmmm, shields... what's wrong with them...

Hmmm...

Well, the Round Shield is always phased out quickly (to a point of not needing one) because of Mythril and Gold Shield's excited and early appearance in the game (Chapter 2). Can't think of a solution about that yet though.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
======================================================================
I evolved... into a stick figure. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj-yTyoVpYIdcdIPw8SP5rw
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Fantasy Tactics - A treat for FFT fans! http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10984.msg207542
======================================================================

TrueLight

Diamond Shield seems a little out of place. The player is only going to have it for 2 fights and then move on to the Platina Shield. Maybe you could add some status immunity so people would use it more.

As for the elemental shields, I say lower the magical resistance. Some people like using spells to heal their allies and its always troublesome when they guard.

Everything else seems good  :)
  • Modding version: PSX

Dome

Updated shields

P.s: I fear reducing the elemental shields M.Ev would lower their usage. I'll ask if there is an ASM that makes absorbed attack always hit 100%