• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:21:52 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Changed One Ability for Squire with FFTPatcher and Now Copies Contain Errors

Started by JoGrSeventyFive, June 15, 2015, 08:48:17 pm

JoGrSeventyFive

Hi guys,

Disclaimer: I'm a complete n00b with no clue what I'm doing. I spent most of the day reading the forums and trying to get a semblance of how to use all the tools, but am clearly still failing.

I made a few copies of the game and left them in my work folder. Using FFTPatcher, I only made one alteration to see if it would work: I gave the Squire class the spell "Fire 4." When I started a new game to see if it worked, I found that there were strange markings in the jobs/abilities menus for the characters. The squire *did* have Fire 4, though. Now, though, all the copies have the same problem. I even downloaded an entirely NEW copy of the game, and even *that* copy had the weird markings everywhere.

Any ideas as to what I did wrong? I'm feeling pretty lost with all this stuff, despite having spent the better part of my day trying to acquaint myself with it all.

Thanks!

Jumza

It's an emulator bug, not a game bug. Don't worry about it. Just fiddle (or download new video / graphics plugins) until they go away.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

JoGrSeventyFive

Thanks for your response! I'll keep fiddling and try to make it work out!  :)

3lric

I assume you are using ePSXe. Consider downloading pSX 1.13 (aka psxfin) it's much more lightweight in terms of plug-ins and what not, and also allows for debugging and save state eventing.

Kurosabes

I'll second that. It took me a while to figure out how to not have a black world map in ePSXe, for instance. You can tweak a bit and get rid of your error, too, but with psxfin, you probably wouldn't have run into an issue like this in the first place.
  • Discord username: Kurosabes#0312

JoGrSeventyFive

You guys are pretty experienced, it seems. You're absolutely right, I'm using ePSXe. I'll switch over to the other one and see if it makes a difference in the way it all plays.

I can't believe it took me so long to even hear that modding FFT was a thing. I've beaten it so many times and it never gets old, so I'm excited to see what I can do.

Thanks again!

EDIT: Just wanted to let you guys know that you're geniuses and guessed the problem right away. After switching, I no longer have any issues!

3lric