• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:23:21 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Vanilla Plus needs You! [Need Help Finishing Game Reorganization Project]

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, September 04, 2011, 09:18:24 pm

RavenOfRazgriz

As most of you may or may not know, I've been working on a patch that reorganizes the entirety of FFT into chronological order with better organization of Sidequests/etc, which should make the game far easier to mod in terms of Event Editing, compared to the slapdash organization method the game is in naturally.  I've already finished the majority of this project - the main hurdle that's been left for a long time now is a portion of the ATTACK.OUT, because it's a very tedious job that was already finished once but was lost in one of Pride's laptop crashes.  This is what I need help with - remaking that lost ATTACK.OUT, then there's very little left to do before I can just compile and release a version 1.0 of this.

To put it simply, I just can't do it - it's too much for me, I lack the attention span, and I'm busy with many other projects, mostly other hacking tools like an Event Editor.  The idea's simple.  I've already got exactly what I need incredibly explicitly written out in a notepad, I just need someone(s) to take what I wrote and plug it through the ATTACK.OUT Editor onto my ATTACK.OUT.  Literally just look at Field A on Notepad, change Field A on ATTACK.OUT Editor to that.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.  Just download it, do what you can, reupload it and say where you stopped at, as I doubt a single person will want to do the entire thing.  Everything needed is included in the download.  Many advanced thanks for anyone who actually bothers to help. 

Currently, up through offset 060 is complete.

Dome

Ok, I Downloaded the attachment, but when I click on the "ATTACK.OUT Editor.exe" it says "Invalid file name" and nothing works
Help? Because I'd be willing to work on this

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

RavenOfRazgriz

Strange.  My ATTACK.OUT Editor in general acts up whenever I move what folder its in.  You'll need to download your own off the front page I guess.  The ATTACK.OUT itself is fine, the included Editor is just being a POS.

lirmont

I wrote a bot to input the data into that other program based on that file you provided. I don't guarantee the program's work, but maybe it'll help you along. The ATTACK.OUT based on me running the program already is in the .zip with the bot since this program is probably a one or two time use at max thing. It took about 15 minutes to run through your file (501 entries), you have to have the attack editor open before opening the bot program, and you can't use your computer while it's working after you've loaded the file into the bot program.

Attack Out Editor (bot)

Good luck, I guess! I hope it worked.

RavenOfRazgriz

...Wow.  That bot will be more useful (to me) than you realize should it work, since I intend to keep these kind of roadmap notepads for any project I do Event Editing for, at the very least until I can finish my ATTACK.OUT Editing Spreadsheet that I'm making to replace that GUI Editor, and possibly after that because I find having a list like that oddly useful.

I'll definitely need to give it a spin and pray it works once I'm done my Event Editor v1.0.  I'm too close to done to take a break on it, but once I'm done, weee.

Dome

Raven, one question:
From the "outside", (Random player X with no knowledge in hacking) Vanilla plus will be the same as vanilla, right?
Just curious

Pride

• Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

Dome

Pride

I would assume so, the whole point of vanilla plus is to consolidate the game down to give more freedom to hackers.
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

RavenOfRazgriz

Yes, Dome.  Gameplay will be unchanged.  Events (TEST.EVT, WLDCORE.BIN, ATTACK.OUT) will be chronologically ordered with all filler removed, and event commands adjusted so that the event no longer needs {end} padding to compensate for no filler.  The Consolidation patch will be used.  Any filler or unnecessary from WLDCORE.BIN and ATTACK.OUT Conditionals will both be removed.  All filler text, Kanji, and so on in FFTacText will be removed.  Etc.

Basically, the game will be ordered in a way that's far more friendly to modding, and all the filler items will be removed to ensure the modder starts with as much free space as can be made without any loss in features.    I'll also include all the events, the ATTACK.OUT Conditionals sheet, and any other source items for the Patch in the download as well, so that after you patch, everything you need to begin modding it is directly at your fingertips.

RandMuadDib

Damn dude sounds awesome. A second version combined with fft:complete would be even awesomer :D
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: RandMuadDib on September 05, 2011, 06:20:14 pm
Damn dude sounds awesome. A second version combined with fft:complete would be even awesomer :D

That would require me... making another FFTacText file (easy enough) and... recompiling all of TEST.EVT with the FFT: Complete Events (not hard, but REALLY FUCKING BORING AND TEDIOUS).

I'll do it some week I feel like I hate myself enough because the TEST.EVT alone is about a 2-3 day project, assuming I stay dedicated to it.  Honestly, that's the main thing, just making a new TEST.EVT and applying the ASM Hacks that open up the sound books and stuff.  Super easy, but super tedious.  Unless someone else does it, expect it in the far future.

RavenOfRazgriz

Good news, everyone!

I've just begun skimming the ATTACK.OUT you included, Lirmont... I think the bot half-worked.  Some of the maps are obviously wrong, and I'm not sure all of the ENTDs are correct, but this is definitely a huge help.   I'll set some time aside in the next day or two to go weed out the errors, and this part of the project should be good to go.  Pride's working on the WLDCORE.BIN stuff, and that should be the only missing component outside of me needing to re-compile some sidequest stuff because my TEST.EVT is out of date.

Timbo

• Discord username: Timbo

RavenOfRazgriz

Eventually, Jack of All Trades, but not initially, no.  It'll take time to transition things from FFT: Complete around to Vanilla Plus' restructuring.  It's easier to do now that I've got EasyVent Editor Super Perfect under my belt, but still very time consuming because it means editing about 300 Events.

Pylgrim

This sounds really cool and I believe something it should be given more attention to as it may make modding easier and more efficient in the future. I'll gladly help if there are some grueling but easy tasks left to do.

Dome

3lric

It'll be done once I finish remaking the attack.out for it, its very tedious and annoying work :P it is about 2/3 done now tho.

I have a HUGE list of things to do after Jot5 Chapter 1 comes out, and that is on the list along with FFT+, PW and CoP. And of course, Pokemon Tactics version.

Dome

You can swap this and FFT + on your priority list, because I'd like to use Vanilla plus as a base to work on FFT+ :-)

P.s: Pokémon tactics version rocks