• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:24:56 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[Sprite] Northswain (Nu Mou)

Started by Twinees, July 15, 2010, 09:04:17 am

Twinees

Northswain
I hope you guys have been looking forward to this... a lot of hard work, blood, sweat and tears went into this... ;)

now it is sleeping time...
  • Modding version: PSX

Lijj

I never even played Tactics Advance. But I really like the Nu Mous' design. Critical frames look great!

Twinees

glad you guys like it :).
if anyone wants to see the walking frames, use this link, http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1279251098

Smash

August 01, 2010, 09:03:45 am #4 Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:44:30 pm by Smash
Here it is, Twinees, better late than never. Concept art drawing WIP, Nu mou FFT
(Yes, this is still a rough sketch.)

[attachment=0:g0mdgtlc]Nu mou 2.png[/attachment:g0mdgtlc]

I think blue is the owrst color the robe can have. Suggesting purple, or brown, just not blue.

This is originally part of the Nu mou proyect by Twinees and I, so it will be shown outside of FFTIA. More will be made as well.

Smash

August 01, 2010, 12:05:33 pm #5 Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 02:44:49 pm by Smash
One and a half hour later: (Finished drawing)

[attachment=0:3nug79aq]Nu mou final.png[/attachment:3nug79aq]

Holy shit
Why am I not getting paid for these things

LastingDawn

Whoa! I like that! That's fantastic Smash!
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Smash

Then wait till you see this colored version:

[attachment=1:ktna5hrn]GIMPd Nu mou.png[/attachment:ktna5hrn]

Colors from FFT Chemist
[attachment=0:ktna5hrn]fftacticspsp_art19.jpg[/attachment:ktna5hrn]

This is the result of countless experiments involving Gimp with 4 layers, colorize, contrast, brightness, layer multipliers, level edits, and many more a nonsense that I probably don't remember by now.. Got the file in case you want to see that mess.
As the shading was done on paper already, there was no need to do any drawing digitally; way to bring my main obstacle down.

EDIT: I could apply these effects to other of my pencil rendered drawings, like the Mateus one, but that'd take significantly longer.

LastingDawn

Whoa... taking colors directly from Yoshida's own work is a brilliant idea! I love how old and weathered he looks, yet so defiant. This is a good example piece of capturing the spirit of the originator.

Art of War

Lijj

Oh You gotta scanner now eh? :O
have fun Smash. Good coloring

Kagebunji

QuoteHoly shit
Why am I not getting paid for these things
Cause FFH is a site that consist of volunteers maybe? But yeah, for such awesomenes you should be paid.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

R999

@Smash: What is so amazing about this is not the quality but how you are able to learn and adapt so quickly :)  This is a superb sketch from top to bottom. I am even more amazed at how you were able to do your coloring in 4 layers (I suppose one for each color? one for the outlines?). He really does look fantastic.

If you are interested in doing these kinds of sketches for work... they usually sell for $60-100 each but although majority of the time you don't get to draw what you want to draw. The practice usually more than pays off itself.

PS: I had always been curious about those ears, are they suppose to look like that? (with a giant hole cut opened? and darkened?).

Smash

I doubt I'll have the time to even consider doing these things for work, with college and all. :P

Those are the same Nu Mou ears they've had since their creation.

On the artwork, here's how it was done:

The first layer is the untouched black and white image. Then I went and had a new layer for brush strokes of all colors over it (Multiply effect), but as it  looked plain and grayed out, I figured a third layer made of plain, tinted outlines (Obtained by tweaking the contrast) would give it that reddish/darker color look lines have on FFT art , and did. Fourth layer was similar to the third as it consisted of outlines, but this time to add black back to the tinted lines.

That sounded so simple.. Yet by no means was a straightforward process. Most of the time was trial and error, and tweaking to get it looking right.

I'll drop the Gimp file on the Babus folder, if anyone wants to have a look.

Smash

Twinees, update: Moving around the arms and doing refining to the Northswain sheet. Arms in frontal position have been aligned better now.

This needs some testing btw.

LastingDawn

Whoa, that looks almost done! Good work, Smash/Twinees!

Art of War

Kagebunji

Third race is present then in FFT now! Humes, moogles, and now Nu mou. Let's see what's more.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown