• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Questions/Help: Regarding Move That Adds Crystal Status to Corpses

Started by Edea, July 20, 2018, 09:54:03 pm

Edea

I read this thread after running a search, but it wasn't quite what I was going for: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6529.msg136331

I wanted to write in a move that performs "Add:Crystal" when targeting a KO'd unit; essentially it would use the same routine as Raise (jury's out on the Faith check), but then instead of removing KO, it would turn the the unit into a Crystal instantly (and it'd work on Undead, hopefully).  It would be specific to Ramza's Guts skillset/I wouldn't assign it to enemies; basically, just a way to speed up that counter so you don't spend every fight standing around waiting for corpses to rot.

Is it possible to make this move entirely with the regular FFT editor, or are there some glitches/workarounds I need to look out for?  I heard something about a 'crystal glitch' and 'you can only have one crystallized unit out at a time', and I was starting to get confused.  Thanks in advance to anyone answering, apologies if what I'm asking for is worded in an obtuse manner.

Xifanie

No... you can't make this with just the patcher at all. The closest thing that I've made was an ASM hack that allowed poaching corpses, so it is possible. But this hack won't be of any use to you.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Edea

Ooof, alright.  I really need to just buckle down one of these days and get more comfortable with PSX hacking sans editor.

I guess the only other alternative would be to find a way to get the game to, when targeted by the theoretical ability in question, give the KO'd unit sequential quick-turns to make the counter go down on its own (like, create a special status effect for it, with no visible indicator and...6(?) CTR, whose routine involved repeatedly forcing quick-turns on the target).  That sounds even more ridiculous and labor-intensive, though.  Or an ability that just sets the KO'd unit's Speed immediately to 50, but that's fraught with issues (such as someone else's turn still happening before the counter got to 0, and then raising the now-50 Speed unit to wreak havoc)....ah well. 

Again, thanks much for the confirmation that I wasn't just missing something super-simple with the patcher, I'll go ahead and flag this as answered.

Nyzer

I'm pretty certain that any solution involving taking a KO'd unit and setting their speed to ridiculous levels is many times more complicated than just applying the Crystal status. It's like trying to get to the end of the street by taking the bus across town and hitchhiking back.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown