• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:24:21 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Editing Skills

Started by mnaoli, February 27, 2018, 02:48:36 pm

mnaoli

Hello everyone,

I just started a patch for my own entertaiment, tweaking here and there, changing names, descriptions and  i've been using FFTpatcher and it solves most of my problems. but i have a few questions and would like some help:

1 - I wish to know if its possible to increase base JP for a NPC - i wish some characters already had some spells learned, with FFTpatcher i haven't been able to figure out how to do that, i tried placing Abilities as innate but it had no effect. I wish to do that because i want to add a "mini boss" in some scenarios, and any ability that have more than 100jp appears as not learned. With FFT patcher, i could create a new set of skills, name them as vanilla and set it with 100jp, but for that i would need to replace some skills, as far as i know, any change i make to a ability affect all characters that use that ability, for example: if i set a lightning stab with100jp for wiegraft to be used on the first encounter, Agrias, Orlandu, and any other character would learn that spell with 100jp.

2 - Is there a way to edit abilities colour? like making a Stasis Sword red, or anything like it.

Sorry bad english, im not native.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: mnaoli

Aiolon

February 27, 2018, 05:39:14 pm #1 Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:02:10 pm by Aiolon
Hello there! welcome to final fantasy hacktics~

both of the questions you asked have been asked a few times before and there are tutorials out there for these. you can try using the search function or lurk around the tutorial section to learn a lot of things and help yourself without having to wait for someone to reply to your questions in the future.

Quote1 - I wish to know if its possible to increase base JP for a NPC - i wish some characters already had some spells learned, with FFTpatcher i haven't been able to figure out how to do that, i tried placing Abilities as innate but it had no effect. I wish to do that because i want to add a "mini boss" in some scenarios, and any ability that have more than 100jp appears as not learned. With FFT patcher, i could create a new set of skills, name them as vanilla and set it with 100jp, but for that i would need to replace some skills, as far as i know, any change i make to a ability affect all characters that use that ability, for example: if i set a lightning stab with100jp for wiegraft to be used on the first encounter, Agrias, Orlandu, and any other character would learn that spell with 100jp.

Im terrible when it comes to giving instructions so im going to use a list format since its easier for me.
the are 2 ways in wich you can manipulate the JP of a NPC.
1- Job levels: Go to the job levels Tab in FFTPATCHER and there you can edit The JP needed for each job level and the levels you need to unlock a new job.
example: if you set Level 3 to cost 1000 JP,  if you find a unit that has Knight job unlocked then this means that unit is going to have 1000 JP for Squire as level 3 is needed to unlock knight.
this is this fastest way to help NPCs to have higher amounts of JP but this will affect you as well as leveling Jobs and unlocking new ones will now be more time consuming.
2- ENTD Unlocked Jobs: if you want to be more specific and want to add a very skilled unit then go to the ENTD tab in patcher and follow these steps
1- go to the battle that you want to edit
2- pick a unit and edit it to be anything you want it to be
3- go to the Jobs unlocked option and edit it to your liking
4- the flag/Option next to unlocked jobs determines the job level. (max level is 8 and this will be affected by all the changes you made to JP requirements for each level)

as for you other concern, there are a few abilities in game that are not used or so rarely seen and useless that you can modify them without regrets (many monster abilities). and you can clone an already existing ability by doing the next
1- pick the ability you want to clone and right click its name
2- select clone (duh)
3- find the ability you want to overwrite and paste clone all
4- Edit the JP costs or anything you like.
5- Go to the Animations tab to copy the hex numbers of the original ability then paste those same numbers into the ability you used to duplicate
6- open tactext an change the name and description of the ability you modified

Quote2 - Is there a way to edit abilities colour? like making a Stasis Sword red, or anything like it

go here for a very detailed tutorial http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8644.0 unfortunately the screenshots are not working but if you follow step by step then you'll be fine.
alternatively use this one made by Xifanie http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11353.0

it can look pretty confusing and scary but give it a try and youll be doing it super fast after a few tries.

• Modding version: PSX
Wizzard: I have returned once again.
Chocobo: Wark?
Wizzard: yes.

mnaoli

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: mnaoli