• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:22 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Worst RPGs you've played?

Started by Angel, August 24, 2014, 09:25:16 pm

Angel

Since we've got people thinking about their favorite RPGs recently, I decided to turn that around and head in the opposite direction - what are the worst RPGs you've played? They need not be downright awful (though it will be more interesting if they are), just whatever rubbed you the wrong way.

I haven't played any truly terrible RPGs, myself, which is really what has me curious. My worst experiences are mainly from games that just don't stand the test of time for my tastes. But, to get the ball rolling...

Final Fantasy II (not to be confused with FFIV)
Being an NES RPG, the story was never going to be what really carried this game - because the gameplay is what mattered most at the time - and the gameplay was laughably atrocious. Playing this game is about as fun as beating yourself in the face, which is aptly the best method of leveling your team's stats. It's all just broken and stupid. But I'm sure none of this news to you, so let's move on.

Dragon Quest (you probably remember it as Dragon Warrior)
Another drudgery in the gameplay department, the grandfather of JRPGs has you opening menus to perform any task, even to simply walk up stairs. To call the gameplay 'clunky' would be overly diplomatic, especially when the accuracy of your attacks feels like a game of roulette. Get your eyes checked, dude.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest
There was a time when it was part of gamer culture to hate on this game like it kicked your dog, and I've since seen a fair amount of love for this game from people who genuinely played it when it first came out. Considering I had already played not only FFIV but FFVI before getting to this game, I am most certainly not in the latter camp. I've heard the music be defended as catchy and memorable, but I've played through this miserable thing multiple times and can't recall a single tune. All I ever remember is feeling cheated by a nothing game wearing a pretty title, like that time I brought home Mario is Missing. Only worse.

I'll neglect to mention Quest 64 to any great extent, except to mention that I found it more memorable than Mystic Quest. I mean, I can still hear that wretched little battle theme in my head, at least.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

August 24, 2014, 09:50:30 pm #1 Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:05:46 pm by Elric
I love these threads :D
I'll just list my top 3, as has been the trend.

1. Phantasy Star III
- The second RPG I actually owned (the first being Final Fantasy). As a kid, I could never even figure out what the hell to do in this game. 20 years later, without the
help of a walkthrough I STILL can't fucking figure it out other than that I needed to find a cyborg. I don't know if it was simply that or the gameplay itself, but ever since
I have been terribly put off by this game. The box and cart for it have been in storage for many years. Seriously fuck this game.
(Note: Phantasy Star II & IV are awesome)

2. Fallout Tactics
- I've always been a HUGE fan of Fallout, I own every game and have every achievement for the 360 and PS3 versions of 3 and NV. I even have a picture of Vaultboy tattooed
on my chest. That being said, the gameplay in this game was sooo annoying compared to Fallout 1 & 2. I tried so hard to like this game and even bought it on the PS2 when
it was released as Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel. I did end up beating this one unlike Phantasy Star III. However in the end, it only made me wish I was playing Fallout 2 instead.

3. Final Fantasy XIII
- This one seems to be about 50/50, either people love it or hate it. I personally don't like it one bit, this may be due to the fact that I had not played a FF game since IX
(which I also didn't care for, fuck you Tetra Master). This was another game I tried REALLY hard to like. I played about halfway through disc 2 (Xbox version) and nothing ever
grabbed my attention or interest. I hear everyone say the PS3 version is better, however, since I don't give two fucks about graphics, I highly doubt that would be the case for
me, unless it entirely changed the game into something I could enjoy.

Angel

Oooooh, Phantasy Star III. Phantasy Star was the first RPG I ever had (and, to this day, the only SMS game I own), and PSII and IV are undeniable classics. I don't hate III as much as other Phantasy Star fans do, but I admit that it's every bit the redheaded stepchild it's known to be. It's not a game I see myself replaying ever again.

I've made it rather known that I have a sort of Stockholm Syndrome with FFXIII, since I forced myself to play through it after it was given to me as a birthday present. I think that once you get roughly halfway in it's a perfectly fine game as long as you ignore the part of the title that defines it as a Final Fantasy, but I don't deny any of the complaints anyone has with the game, because they're all 100% true. Also, the PS3 version just has much prettier FMVs, runs at a higher resolution, has more detail, and both fewer and shorter loading times, along with the benefit of being on one disc. So yes, the PS3 version is better, but you're not missing any of the experience by playing on 360 instead. If you don't like it on 360, you won't like it any better on PS3. I own and have 100% completed both versions, so I will allow myself to speak with this authority.

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Xifanie

Hoshigami
<Main character> Why are we fighting, we are friends!
<Ally> ¯\(°_o)/¯ because I feel like it.
Note that I only played halfway through the game, but this scenario happened for 3/4th of what I played. It's always like that; it's ridiculous. That's about all I can say about the storyline, because oh my gosh is it lacking. It's a Turn-based SRPG, but halfway through the game, there are 18 enemies on the map. Eighteen. Do you have any idea how long an enemy turn takes with 18 enemies? Five. Fucking. Minutes. That's the main reason I gave up playing that game... I had been soloing with the main character, something you can totally do up until that point, it's just not nearly as rewarding as say, Disgaea soloing. The battle system is interesting on its own: there are quite a few weapons, but ultimately, you'll have everyone with boomerangs because of their kickass range while still doing great damage. Spells are cast by using coins. Coins can be leveled up, and while it doesn't take much time early on, it gradually becomes the worst pain in the ass ever just so that your spells are as useful mid-game as they were early game.
GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND YOUR TEETH.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kaijyuu

Most bad RPGs I stop playing before they do any real damage and thus I forget I even played them. As such, all I have are unfair examples; these are probably decent games but I both hated them and felt compelled to play them to a substantial degree.

Valkyrie Profile 2.
The first game is one of my favorites ever. They left sequel hooks for both a prequel and an actual sequel, and unfortunately they decided to do both at the same time with time travel shenanigans. It ended badly. VERY badly. Also they butchered the excellent battle system of the original by adding a worthless positioning system (the different body part targeting they also added wasn't so bad, though it didn't add much either).

FFT Advance.
Ya'll know this one. The story literally made me feel ill. It's probably one of the worst stories I've ever experienced in any form. Of course the gameplay changes from FFT also bugged me, but at least I wouldn't describe those as "abysmal"; more like "not suited to my taste."

Again both these are decent games in their own right but had reasons to disappoint me massively.

Dome

FF8
Retarded in so many ways, it's not even funny

- Super duper bland story (Oh, you all come from the same Orphanage as me? Too cool!)
- Horrid system/balance (Using magic makes you weaker! Not levelling > Levelling! You can craft the final weapon in Cd1!)
- Comes after a GREAT game (FF7) and it's the first FF ever translated in Italian (So I had high expectations...)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

A Blood Red Fox

I suspect that the only reason I like FF: Mystic Quest is the fact that it was the first RPG I ever played. I played about half-way through it before I'd even learned to read, and played it multiple times. It's not really a great RPG though.

Worst that I can remember were both Playstation games.

Beyond the Beyond: I didn't get very far at all on it. Was pretty bland.

Digimon World: My memory of it isn't that great, but I remember it being tedious and boring with combat just being sitting there and letting two monsters exchange attacks. I remember being very disappointed.

Rufio

Quote from: Fox on August 25, 2014, 06:11:22 am.

Digimon World: My memory of it isn't that great, but I remember it being tedious and boring with combat just being sitting there and letting two monsters exchange attacks. I remember being very disappointed.

oh god.  so much so.  you had to be near a toilet at all times in case your digimon needed to go and if you let him dooky on the ground too many times he digivolved into the stupid poop digimon.  2 and 3 were just as tedious.  in 2 you couldn't make it through a dungeon without your car breaking sone vital part or not bringing enough missiles or having to go back and dna digivolve so you can gain 2 more levels.  in 3 it sends you all over the world with little to no hint on what you are actually supposed to do and no way to fast travel so you spend 3 hours rabdom battling stupid monsters way below your level for no reason.

these games, man...

TableTop Adventures Demo is out.
Try it out and let me know how to make it better.

Angel

More comments! I was actually going to include FFTA, but figured I'd gone on long enough. Aside from the gameplay not agreeing with me (Judges can go to hell), the whole thing was just a massive disappointment. They shouldn't even joke about calling that place Ivalice, I'm sorry. Why not just say Hitman takes place in Spira?

I haven't gotten the chance to play really play VP: Silmeria, since I don't have a good way of hooking up my PS2, and the game doesn't run very well in pcsx2 at all. But I'm sure I would have liked VP: Hrist more either way. Lenneth's game is hard to top, though. The US PSX version, I mean. Fuck that PSP version. Haven't been more disappointed in a game I bought until WotL.

Beyond the Beyond, oh my. I would have included that if I had remembered it, but it's far too forgettable.

I never could understand Digimon to start with. "This Pokemon thing is pretty popular, huh? Let's steal that idea, but give all the monsters creepier eyes." But I had my own car by the time Pokemon was a thing, so even that was lost on me. I never understood the draw of it, even though (or perhaps because?) the entire student body of my high school was into Pokemon. Final Fantasy VII was much less of a big deal, and I was having a much better time with that. Even though I didn't understand why the character models were so goofy, or why it seemed to have worse sound quality than FFVI. And worse proofreading than the school newspaper.

Also, I love Final Fantasy VIII, and I have no idea why. I can only think of reasons why it is hateful, stupid, nonsensical, etc... but I still love it. No idea why.

Rufio

Quote from: Toshiko on August 25, 2014, 01:18:14 pm
Final Fantasy VII was much less of a big deal, and I was having a much better time with that. Even though I didn't understand why the character models were so goofy, or why it seemed to have worse sound quality than FFVI. And worse proofreading than the school newspaper.

Attack while the tail's up!  Off course!

Also, yeah.  I loved ff8 as well.  I think it was all the extra stuff you could do.

3lric

Quote from: Dome on August 25, 2014, 02:47:10 am
FF8
Retarded in so many ways, it's not even funny

- Super duper bland story (Oh, you all come from the same Orphanage as me? Too cool!)
- Horrid system/balance (Using magic makes you weaker! Not levelling > Levelling! You can craft the final weapon in Cd1!)
- Comes after a GREAT game (FF7) and it's the first FF ever translated in Italian (So I had high expectations...)

Fail (It's spam, I can totally say that)

Quote from: Rufio on August 25, 2014, 07:49:50 am
oh god.  so much so.  you had to be near a toilet at all times in case your digimon needed to go and if you let him dooky on the ground too many times he digivolved into the stupid poop digimon.  2 and 3 were just as tedious.  in 2 you couldn't make it through a dungeon without your car breaking sone vital part or not bringing enough missiles or having to go back and dna digivolve so you can gain 2 more levels.  in 3 it sends you all over the world with little to no hint on what you are actually supposed to do and no way to fast travel so you spend 3 hours rabdom battling stupid monsters way below your level for no reason.

these games, man...

I can understand the issue with the first game, as I could never fucking understand how it worked in the first place. However the second game was not much different than
any other dungeon crawling RPG, so I'm not sure where that comes from, it wasn't even particularly hard. Just like any other game of that type, it's quite repetitive. Now
Digimon World 3 I dont understand the complaints for one bit, it was just a standard JRPG with many different characters (Digimon) to get in your party, it was a pretty
awesome game :P dunno where the no hints or sending all over the world thing you are talking about comes from, i beat DW3 without any issues and only got lost once or
twice due to exploring places I shouldn't have been yet, then again, I don't really enjoy games that say, "go to this place and do this, then come back here so I can send you
somewhere else to do the same thing"
(Digimon World 4 was pretty awesome too, especially for the multiplayer aspect)

Beyond the Beyond, oh my. I would have included that if I had remembered it, but it's far too forgettable.

This ^^

I never could understand Digimon to start with. "This Pokemon thing is pretty popular, huh? Let's steal that idea, but give all the monsters creepier eyes." But I had my own car by the time Pokemon was a thing, so even that was lost on me. I never understood the draw of it, even though (or perhaps because?) the entire student body of my high school was into Pokemon. Final Fantasy VII was much less of a big deal, and I was having a much better time with that. Even though I didn't understand why the character models were so goofy, or why it seemed to have worse sound quality than FFVI. And worse proofreading than the school newspaper.

I actually enjoyed Digimon a lot more than Pokemon. I even enjoyed the first season of the show (used to tape it along with Monster Rancher every friday) I always found
the concept a lot more enjoyable than Pokemon. It wasn't really a stolen idea other than 'Mon' in the name and the use of Monsters. Digimon are intelligent and can talk
and aren't caught through some ball thing, nor was the objective ever, ermergerd, gotta catch em all. That being said, I still love pokemon as well :P

Also, I love Final Fantasy VIII, and I have no idea why. I can only think of reasons why it is hateful, stupid, nonsensical, etc... but I still love it. No idea why.

Another THIS ^^
FF8 is my favorite game in the FF series. Even more so than 7. I even completely agree with everything you mentioned, but for some reason it just holds such
a special place in my heart. It may be due to the junction/battle system which i very much loved, or simply triple triad. Plus, it has Zell, and at the time I played it, I very much
related to Squall, being the socially awkward person that I am.

Rufio

Dude, "I think there's an Agumon that can help you with that." was the entire clue you are given at one point near the end game.  Do you know how many Agumon there are by the time you get that far? Or how many towns on both servers you can go to? Or the fact that the maze between servers makes no sense whatsoever.  Maybe I was just angry because my stupid digimon fail at training when I take them to the secret gyms.  haha.

3lric

Haha, fair enough. I just remember still really enjoying it the last time I played it, but I haven't gotten passed about mid-game since the first
time I beat it. Which was right around the time it came out, so I'm likely forgetting some of the frustration.

Dome

Quote from: Elric on August 25, 2014, 06:44:55 pm
Fail

P.s: Don't fucking apoligize for stating your opinions. It's spam, we are meant to hurt each other' feelings

FF8 IS THE WORST PIECE OF SHIT EVER, AND EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A FUCKING FAGGOT (Or a bisexual furry pony)

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

3lric

^^

Equal opportunity hater right here folks.

Don't make me turn you back into the Spam mod.

P.S. Who the fuck apologized? I stated that I was allowed to do so, never said I was sorry for it :P

Rufio

FF8 was amazing, the fact that you could get the final weapon right after timber if you played enough cards was awesome.  the junction system was brilliant.  and the draw system of magic was a nice change from MP.

3lric

Artemicion

I would say that Dirge of Cerberus (FF7) was pretty bad for Final Fantasy standards. One game I first hated, but eventually got into was Enchanted Arms for the Xbox 360.
From Mogrika to Moolan

Artemicion rubbed it all over himself!
            The machine needs it to function
            properly, kupo!

I know how he must've felt.
            I used it on myself once, too.
            It's a wonderful thing, but...

Rufio

Agreed on the Dirge of Cerberus.   Does anyone remember Quest64?  It was like, the only N64 RPG and I don't have good memories of it at all but can't recall why.

Angel

I mentioned Quest 64 in the OP, yeah. I rented it and played through it with a couple days to spare before it needed to be returned. I've gone back to it two or three more times in the past 15 years just to see how badly it was aging, really. It's clunky, and I hate the random battles (but I universally hate random battles, anyway), and all I ever really manage to remember is the final dungeon (despite seeing it exactly once), the overworld music, and battle music. It's not so much awful as just... bland and pointless. It's the Nissan Sunny of RPGs.