• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:19:29 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Our own Malcolm Reynolds (sprite)

Started by Fosil, May 05, 2011, 09:22:52 pm

Fosil

May 05, 2011, 09:22:52 pm Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:23:22 pm by Tojoe
While avoiding the wall that is redesigning Rapha and Marach, an idea hit me. I love Firefly. I love FFTactics. Mei yong ma duh tse gu yong!
However, I'm not planning to do the entire cast. For now I only have Malcolm and Inara in mind. (Then, if not Inara, Zoey)

They blend into the world of Ivalice enough, with guns and all. Convert space stuff to sea stuff and it works! (Minus the magic, but that is easily overlooked.)
I might be getting some hate mail that I'm ruining the world of Firefly/Serenity though...

I'm aware of the sprite messiness and incorrect colours. This is just a "rough draft" if you will.
Please, blow me out of the water!
It may be a piece of gosa, but gorramit its my piece of gosa.
  • Modding version: PSX

RandMuadDib

zomg finish. The portrait looks just like an FFT-isized version of Mal. This is exciting.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Fosil

May 05, 2011, 10:26:26 pm #2 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 12:04:40 am by Tojoe
Unfortunately for the sprite--I am currently at an estimated 18 colours. I suppose I could cut out one of the reds. Or all but one if I have the coat cover up enough of it?

edit: updated sprite-sheet before I go to bed
Here's a close up of the portrait (which I've tinkered with since the initial post)

Cheetah

I love this idea. My dog is actually named "Captain Malcolm Reynolds".

Portrait is a great start, jacket needs particular work, and then a bit of work on the hair.

The sprite needs a lot of work. The overall design is close to be okay, but the pieces aren't fitting together well:
1) The red is all wrong.
2) Coat tails are too long I think.
3) There is likely better hair to be used.
Current Projects:

Kagebunji

May you zoom in the sprite 3x? At least forward diagonal frame. On the attacking frames, in the place head is supposed to be you have used background's black color, some of those pixels get covered by head, yeah, but some may not, and this will cause the sprite to have holes, basicly you will see map through those holes, lol. The collar seems weird as well, where did you get it? Once you zoom in I will be able to say more(I am curious and uncertain about chest too).
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Fosil

May 06, 2011, 12:11:59 pm #5 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:38:03 pm by Tojoe
Cheetah: That is so cute... Now, I want to name my pet (once acquired) in that vein.

I actually thought the portrait was shiny, but eh, I could see it being better. Namely the hair and jacket, as Cheetah mentioned.
Yeh. I'm still well aware of the misplacements within the sprite. I didn't have time to fix those last night, but here in a few I'll be back on the case.

Might you suggest some reds to use for his under-shirt?
I will fill out the coat tails so they're not split.

Kagebunji: The coat is the male Orator's. The gloves are male Ninja. The boots are male Archer. (Those boots are so useful and shiny as I used them in my Meliadoul edit, too.) The head I stole from a custom sprite, Vicks, then modified.
As for the portrait, I frankensteined bits of Delita's face and stole "Kent [Fire Emblem]" hair from the custom sprite section.

Wow, after rebooting into Ubuntu for updates and opening it... My Windows display config is messed up! No wonder you said the red was way off--its practically magenta! And otherwise things are too bright? I've attached a zoomed in forward diagonal that I've doctored a bit since then.
I'm down to 18 colours. Now its just palette crunching time. Then I can go back and rectify the messy sprite sheet and reapply the 16 true colours.

Kagebunji

May 06, 2011, 02:05:06 pm #6 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:09:02 pm by Kagebunji
I would erase the collar entirely, tbh. I don't know how much it gives to the character, but it will be hard to make it fit. Erase the white pixel on his right eye(our left), that pixel never should be there, yet many people put it there. I guess hair could be changed, but IMO it is a good placeholder. Good job on the chest, simplyfiyng designs is always a good way. As to coats, I remeber seeing some nice one yesterday, I will look for it and tell you later.

EDIT: If you want to erase those tails on coat, look at Reis, she has really good coat for that.

Fosil

May 06, 2011, 02:15:25 pm #7 Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 02:16:00 pm by Tojoe
Hmm. Maybe my Windows display config isn't so messed up, afterall? Still in Ubuntu, I opened up Orlando's sprite just to compare a tint of blue, and its bright as all gosa.
Are sprites supposed to be on the bright side? Have I been seeing things wrong this entire time?

Anyhoo, after some more tweaks to the colours, I got it down to 16 colours.

Kagebunji

I kinda liked the last colors more, cause they were bighter and weren't looking like hair. I guess you had to change it cause you droped to 16, yes? I would go with either Orlandu or Goltana for the brown coat.

Fosil

Orlando-fied. (His hair followed the Orlando-conga line, too)
Yay or nay?

Kagebunji

Personally Yay. Lesse what others will say.