• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:04:11 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Darkholme's Sprites

Started by Darkholme, March 22, 2011, 01:08:28 am

Zuzka

:D A conversation between two moogles! The first portrait seems to match the game's color scheme more but both are cute and it's nice to see two slightly different ones.

Darkholme

April 01, 2011, 08:56:13 pm #21 Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:59:18 pm by Darkholme
I'd like to see the moogle as a character; not a monster. They use weapons & gear. Those monster sprites would make a good starting point though. The nose is a tad too big, and the eyes are too small, but still pretty good.

Kagebunji

Yeah, I plan to rework Moogle for like a year now, but can't get to it...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Darkholme

I made myself a portrait.

Celdia

• Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

jimmyjw88

Try reference more from existing fft portraits.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Darkholme

Hmm. I was referencing 4 or 5 of them while I worked on it, and I actually picked one to grab the pose from.

What do you think is off?

There wasn't much I could use for goatee examples.

Kagebunji

May 10, 2014, 02:05:22 pm #27 Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:49:30 pm by Kagebunji
It's most likely shading that Jimmy talks about. It's hard to pinpoint just one thing, since the portrait itself is done ina more...cartoony way, than all FFT portraits. Clothing has harsh outlines, face shading isn't like FFT portraits either. What I like and think is looking great is the hair, but everything else isn't quite in FFT style. Post a small sized version, and I will fix the face issues for you, so you can see what I mean.- nevermind that, you already did. Blind me :P

Darkholme

The face is lifted from the knight, and then adjusted a bit.

Kagebunji

It seems that those adjustments just got it off FFT track. Here, I did it in a more FFT way. didn't mess with clothes much though.

Darkholme

May 10, 2014, 09:34:15 pm #30 Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:38:12 pm by Darkholme
Alright. Here are several new iterations on the portrait.

The second one from the top left is Kagebunji's suggestion. I incorporated the main things I saw from his that looked wrong in mine, and made an updated version, then started playing with different clothing options.

Lots of referencing of FFT Portraits. Particularly Delita, Cletienne, Wiegraf, Vormav, Izlude, and the Male Knight.
End work is a combination of Knight + Kagebunji's Suggestions + Bits from Wiegraf, Izlude, Ramza, or Vormav (depending on which version), along with a bunch of original work.

I think I'm happy with the face now, and with all of the clothing options I added.

Any other constructive criticism, or do you guys also think it's good now?

Seushiro

Your thick eyebrows and mole on the upper left eye are who you are so returning it is how it should be. Shading wise it seems fine. I just don't know if you stuck with the 16 colors. Your portrait would make a fine Shrine Knight

Darkholme

May 11, 2014, 12:03:02 am #32 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:09:17 am by Darkholme
Hmm. Yeah, I can see how you might think that's a mole when rendered all pixelly. Thats the tail end of my eyebrow. I have a scar through the eyebrow where no hair grows (I used to have an eyebrow ring, and it got torn out when I was 17 - the skin came with the ring when it was torn out - and the eyebrow continues on the other side of the scar. That's proportionately how much eyebrow continues past the scar. The scar itself is about half an inch thick, and almost the same height as my eyebrow.

I do have fairly thick, dark eyebrows, though I tried to make them less blocky than in my first draft while still being thicker than Kagebunji's version, which was too thin.

As for the 16 colors, they should be, it's possible for one or two of them I forgot to condense down a color, and those would still have 17 colors (some of the clothes had 4 colors, some had 3, and I only had 3 palette slots open for clothes - One of the portraits is actually only using 13 colors though).

I will doublecheck it later.

BTW Thanks Re: Shrine Knight. Thats kindof what I was going for. Somewhere in the neighborhood of CH2 Ramza, CH2 Delita, Wiegraf, Vormav, Rofel, Izlude, or Meliadoul. I really like how the ones where I combined the armor with the hood turned out.

Maybe one of these days I'll sprite myself up and do a self-insert mod of myself as a knight-special character.

jimmyjw88

May 11, 2014, 03:49:11 am #33 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 04:04:59 am by jimmyjw88
Here's some fixes that I made. Still need some polishing to do though but I hope it help somehow.
Kindly upload the images to other image hosting sites. I can't view imageshack. Thanks.

Darkholme

May 11, 2014, 04:59:43 am #34 Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 03:29:29 pm by Darkholme
Hmm. Thanks for the input, jimmyjw88. Some of the changes you made, I like and will see about adding in. A few of the others I don't, and a few others I'm unsure of, but I will use what I can to improve the portrait.

• I like how you changed the forehead scar, and I like many of the shading and outline tweaks.

• I will compare your design for the goatee to my two designs I have for it before I settle on one.

• I think you made the neck too thin, the portrait I based it on and all of my references head thicker necks than that (as do I in real life), and the neck size I had is the same as the one on the Knight portrait I started with, but maybe I will make it a little thinner.

• I'm pretty happy with the eyebrow I came up with, Yours lacks the scar and looks a too thin, though I may go in the other direction and make the scar more prominent instead of removing it.

• Finally, you removed the silver ear piercings, which I don't want to remove but may consider drawing differently. I want them visible, but it's hard to determine the best way to render them in such low def.

Darkholme

May 11, 2014, 10:26:29 pm #35 Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 04:02:23 pm by Darkholme
So, I updated my portraits.

Top left is Kagebunji's suggestions, the one next to that is JimmyJW88's, and the others are my current version. of the portrait.

I incorporated many of Jimmy's suggestions.
He had some really good (and subtle) ideas for adjusting the shading, and for the scar next to the right eyebrow, as well as some of his shape change suggestions.
I didn't take all of his suggestions though.
The neck is still thicker than he had it (though its thinner than it was), and I actually used a different neck entirely for the four on the top row in a more 3/4 angle pose.
I kept the whites of the eyes that my source portrait had, rather than inverting the shading of the eye and darkening it.I definitely like it better that way.
The beard is a combination of my old design and Jimmy's.
The hair is somewhere bewteen Jimmy's sugggestion and my old design, and there's some new stuff at the bottom.
The eyebrows are a little bit thinner than they were before, but darker than Jimmy and Kagebunji's suggestions, and rather than remove the scar, I made it more obvious.
I adjusted the clothes a bunch, and the head is now in the same position in all of them.

At this point I'm pretty happy with the details and the shading, though I'm a bit uncertain about the color.

I did a color adjust, as my hair is actually pretty red, however, it may be a little bit too obvious, so I thought I would ask your opinion on that. Is the color adjust good (the 100% one)? Should I tone it down more?

I'm uploading it with several degrees of color adjust, and looking for advice on at which point you guys think it's too much, if at all. I'm leaning towards the 67% or the 75%.

[Edit: Reposted the image so the color adjustments can be more easily compared.]

MiKeMiTchi

Slightly darken the eye colors, esp. the whitest one, as it stands out a little. I'd go for the less saturated ones at 25%/33%. But if you can't decide, go for something in between what you want: 71%! Just choose what you prefer. All the hair colors look fine anyway.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Darkholme

By any chance do you mean the one in the top left for the eyes being too bright?

I agree with you, that one was Kagebunji's suggested adjustments, just for reference sake.

If you mean the fact that I used white on the 3rd up to the final portraits, well, I like that, and there are portraits in game that have that (for instance, Delita, and the Generic Knight)., so I intend to keep those.

I just didn't want to oversaturate the hair. After your suggestions of going a bit lower, I think I agree. I'm going to go with 60% color adjustment.

Angel

The eye white is both too bright, and has too sharp of a dropoff to the grey below it. It would only be more jarring if you put red instead of grey. If you do insist on keeping it white white (which no portrait uses, because all vanilla portraits were color shifted tan after being scanned - Delita's brightest white is 216,208,200; male knight's is 216,200,176), you really need to blend it better than that. But I strongly suggest using nothing brighter than 216,208,200, which is the brightest 'white' used for eyes in any portrait. If you don't believe me, sample them one by one (as I did) from this image.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

jimmyjw88

I don't remember seeing any portrait with such bright white actually.