• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:00:34 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Amici's sprites

Started by Amici, October 27, 2010, 10:58:08 am

Amici

Okay, I've now changed the topic title :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

ffta707

Quote from: "Amici"Okay, I've now changed the topic title :P

No hurry. Looks great for your second attempt.

Amici

I'm experiencing some growing pains, need to take a break =P I can't get the shading right on the back of the trenchcoat, so far the front view of the walking animations look okay IMHO, but the back looks like shit. Any tips on how to shade properly?

Kagebunji

Sorry to dissappoint you, but it doesn't look okay. You said you used Seph's made by Seu as base, yes? Wrong move, cause the shading there isn't very good to begin with. Shading isn't really thing I can explain to you, I remeber when I was starting out and others tried to explain shading to me, it resulted in horrible pillow shading. My advice is just to look at other sprites, copy the style. I cannot recall any sprite with trenchcoat now, but if you find one, you most likely should copy/paste it. And remeber, when picking a base, ALWAYS find one with arms you like, legs are important too, but arms are most important.

Amici

Hmm, okay, will do. I've been looking at other sprites hoping to find a trenchcoated one, but so far I've haven't found one so I'm doing one from scratch. As for the arms, yeah they look terrible at the moment, I may change it up into something else when I find something better.

EDIT: BTW, is only the shading terrible, or is the actual base also bad? I will work on the shading if it's the only thing bad, but if even the base is bad I may scrap it all together and go a different approach.

Kagebunji

Ditch Sephiroth, it won't work well as a base. Oh, and don't try to do too many things from scratch, especially now, cause it is most likely that you will fail. Just rely on copy/paste for now, and do MINOR adjustments yourself

Amici

I haven't been using Seph as a model thus far, only for the legs though since they seem to be the closest one to a leg under a coat. Reno is more the base I've been using. I've readjusted the shading and the palette, and am wondering if this is any better. The arms still suck though.

ffta707

Quote from: "Amici"I'm experiencing some growing pains, need to take a break =P I can't get the shading right on the back of the trenchcoat, so far the front view of the walking animations look okay IMHO, but the back looks like shit. Any tips on how to shade properly?

Really good sprite. Great job. If it is possible for you to sacrifice one color and add another red to the spectrum it would be even better though.

P.S. Growing pains are the worst kind of pain :(

Jon

Worst kind of pains are the ones the stick figures are recieving in your signature FFTA ;)
There ain't no gettin' offa this train we on!

ffta707

Quote from: "Jon"Worst kind of pains are the ones the stick figures are recieving in your signature FFTA ;)

You like that? Haha, I made it in pivot. It exports the gif of your animation.

Amici

So I have given up on the current design on my Dante, I'm too inexperienced for something as ambitious as that, so I scrapped the idea and went with a simpler route: Male Mediator with Delita's extremities.

Mari

It's not looking too bad.
But try posting a bigger version as well so we can see up close!

Usually people post a 1x and a 2x.
As the puppeteer pulls His strings,
The fragile doll spreads Her wings.
To dance a ballet as He directs
That is the Curse of the Marionette.

Controlled by a hand far, far above,
Forbidden to care, forbidden to love.
Forever shall She mime what She cannot know,
Until the day She loses her illusory glow.

Propped up on a stilt where wine once stood,
The Marionette is, once more, only wood.
Her glossy eyes have lost their shine,
Her silken hair, turned to twine.

What a fate awaits the poor little doll,
Who dances and runs but cannot stand at all.
And the puppeteer is applauded at the end of every show,
But the audience's joyous response the doll can never know.

I am but a doll on an endless stage,
Dancing for others whilst I slowly age.
My puppeteer sits far above,
Hiding His face behind a white glove.

And when I have aged to nothing but wood,
I will be tucked away in a closet where a doll once stood.
Then, as I gather dust and the world passes by,
I will be forgotten by the vast, blue sky.

ffta707

Quote from: "Amici"So I have given up on the current design on my Dante, I'm too inexperienced for something as ambitious as that, so I scrapped the idea and went with a simpler route: Male Mediator with Delita's extremities.

Getting even better. It looks like you fixed the palette to a better red scale to.

Jon

Amici, can you post a reference picture of Dante? And also like Mari said, post it at 1x and 2x size, its so hard to see those little pixels ;)

Amici

Ayt, here is a 2x of the main poses. I'll probably finish most of the sprite in the next 2 or 3 days? Since I have the recipe already. The main problem would be aligning the arms with the body in the animations, hopefully there wont be too many problems...

Here's a reference pic I use for Dante since there are a lot of Dante versions depending on the game. In all honesty though, my Dante is like a mishmash of all the versions, I'm not sticking to one particular design. I'll probably add the decals on the coat once I've finished all animations.

GeneralStrife

interesting, mediator coat was a perfect match for his, but look at the center pose, wtf is going on with his chest? looks like horizontal lines of pixels...needs to be fixed...im sure jon or someone could help you more with that center

ffta707

Your the first person I've seen who did his second sprite without saturating the red. Good job. Looks just like the reference.

Jon

Yeah, Dante is strong, he even has a six pack, so I would use Zozma's Beserker's chest as a reference, with the coat over it of course. Also on the 2nd frame, the front side view, there is one long brown pixel line running down his coat, whats that? Make it red or something to match the coat. This looks pretty promising. :)

Amici

I just finished the walking and singing animations, and did a chest transplant of the Berserker sprite to Dante. Thanks for that tip :D However I've hit a new snag, and perhaps the last one. It seems The Male Mediator sprite and the Delita sprite are of two different types, yes? There attack animations are in different slots in Shishi, and my meager spriting skills are bamboozled by this development. Is this a hopeless case? Like the two types cannot be converted to another?

ffta707

Quote from: "Amici"I just finished the walking and singing animations, and did a chest transplant of the Berserker sprite to Dante. Thanks for that tip :D However I've hit a new snag, and perhaps the last one. It seems The Male Mediator sprite and the Delita sprite are of two different types, yes? There attack animations are in different slots in Shishi, and my meager spriting skills are bamboozled by this development. Is this a hopeless case? Like the two types cannot be converted to another?

Wow, that chest coped wonderfully with that sprite. Looks 100% better.