• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:14:19 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Soldiers Office

Started by lirmont, October 24, 2012, 06:46:15 pm

lirmont

For those of you following along with Tethical's progress, the next big step is providing a way to choose characters for your team. And so, that means implementing the soldiers office. Unfortunately, that means coming up with a background for that interface. The plan is for the soldiers office to take the cartesian product of all available races and genders, stick that into a list, and then let the user choose which combination they want. Unlike FFT's soldier office, perhaps this implementation will have the prospective character walk out onto the screen. Also, the big shiny light-spot is where your leader character will probably stand (re: it won't just be some stock image over and over).

Choto

Hey Lirm, just saw your question on IRC about soldier office. I think your idea is great.. i'd like to add that it would be cool to be able to distribute a number of skill points to different stats to customize the soldier you're recruiting. I know it's probly not as relevant to what you want to accomplish, but just throwin it out there for fun :P

lirmont

October 28, 2012, 08:23:23 pm #2 Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:19:17 pm by lirmont
I'll keep that in mind for when I write the GUI display/control for raw stats; it would fit well there as a +/- on the grouped sliders, and it can be controlled by the state description file as far as increments and limits go. Maybe you'd get X points per Y cost and be able to decrease some stat up to Z amount to raise some other stat(s). I don't think it would be a good idea to apply it to the result of the character's stats in a specific class (because it would require adding an operand to each class-specific formula that should be affected, and maybe that's too far outside the way for an example implementation), but that's not to say it couldn't be programmed to do exactly that (re: purchasing a bonus specific to the character and class it's purchased for and even stat-specific is possible, like PA+ for a fighter).

--

Without Ability to Adjust

With Ability to Adjust (no constraints)

Dragging and color changes work. Constraints to how much you can change (and having that be linked across the fields) is next.

--

With Ability to Adjust & Constraints

UnknownFox

Always excited when I pop in just for a gander and see progress being made. It looks really amazing so far :D