• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Chapter 2 Progress Log

Started by Elric, August 20, 2013, 06:52:12 pm

Elric

Quote from: Hyraldelita on October 29, 2018, 10:58:12 pm
Hello guys, is it possible to post some new video about the development^^

Just to keep the hype up!

Well, i have tons if videos you guys havent seen since most of thr ch2 content was completed years ago, its just picking what works without context or spoilers lol
  • Modding version: PSX

Hyraldelita

hahhaha, if chapter 2 was done long ago it would be nice to play it now, while we wait for the re relase and chapter 3^^
At least we will enjoy this and make a new save , i don't think anyone would mind to start the save "again" even after the re relase come out :)

Elric

It is done, but the additions are not, nor are all the random battles, but the events are done, aside from the second bit from the finale battle.

Tempest

Still as excited as when I first found out about JOT5. I'll just keep checking :o

AzelusGrimsight

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
Your Actions Have Meaning Only If They Hold True To Your Ideals

lunar

Oh I can't wait to see this.
"Lassworm!."
  • Discord username: Tensho

JayP

Just finished chapter 1 with some strategy help from DaTruthDT via YouTube. Wonderfully done! So much depth and quality in the story, jobs, and enemies. It's a good challenge, and I failed many times. Great work to all involved! Can't wait for the next segments.
  • Modding version: WotL

XperiaOcean

Need to say that first chapter was awesome! I even bought a Bluetooth joystick to play on my device! Thanks for this awesome work!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Elric

Quote from: JayP on August 05, 2019, 04:24:44 pm
Just finished chapter 1 with some strategy help from DaTruthDT via YouTube. Wonderfully done! So much depth and quality in the story, jobs, and enemies. It's a good challenge, and I failed many times. Great work to all involved! Can't wait for the next segments.

Quote from: XperiaOcean on August 25, 2019, 09:05:52 pm
Need to say that first chapter was awesome! I even bought a Bluetooth joystick to play on my device! Thanks for this awesome work!

Hey thanks for the feedback guys! It's very appreciated! We cannot wait to share the re-release and Ch2 with you guys!

Acfusion

Hey I am just letting you know that I enjoyed chapter 1 so far right now and I can't wait for chapter 2.

Daizengar

@Elric Man I LOVE this game you've created, it's not just a mod! But when do you expect to release Ch.2

If I would ask anything of you is could you please make an Easy Mode for Ch.1 It really is hard to play for us older players and we don't have much time to play anyway.

Thanks a million for doing this

Nyzer

QuoteBut when do you expect to release Ch.2

Eventually.

Quotecould you please make an Easy Mode for Ch.1

There's not really an official one yet (it's planned for the rerelease) but here's a quick and dirty Easy Mode that just buffs the Five a lot via the Patcher.

Daizengar

Elric

Quote from: Nyzer on May 10, 2020, 07:36:43 pmEventually.

There's not really an official one yet (it's planned for the rerelease) but here's a quick and dirty Easy Mode that just buffs the Five a lot via the Patcher.

Who did this??

Nyzer

Quote from: Elric on May 10, 2020, 11:22:40 pmWho did this??

Bwahaha.

Also, just to clarify for anyone who might be wondering: the current (and hopefully final) major roadblock is the complicated set of gathering minigame events. I actually had a nearly complete version of the mining event ready back in September; IIRC all that remained was to get it all to fit in a single event and then bugtest it to be sure. At the time, the mining event was going to be done through dialog box choices, such as "go to which deposit, mine it for how long, are you looking for any specific gems?" etc.

But I failed to save the file for too long, and when my laptop died, lost a decent chunk of progress, which discouraged me for a while. When I did take a good stab at trying to pick up where I'd left off, I found out that I couldn't even tell where I'd left off, and that the event seemed ridiculously broken in a lot of ways that I was sure hadn't been a problem during any of my previous tests. All in all, I was totally lost at this point.

But then at one point Xifanie and I got to talking, and planned out a fair few ways to implement button presses rather than choice boxes, giving the player more direct control over what was going on.

Once I was past some personal developments in my life, I restarted the event completely from scratch.

And, honestly, so far, I can assure you the event is much more enjoyable this way. Going through choice box after choice box after choice box was... functional, but bland as shit.

Also, a lot of the stuff these events require are commands that aren't seen in normal eventing. At all. So there have been a lot of new concepts to learn and bugtest going into them! One of the reasons it's taken so long to get any good progress on them, even before getting screwed by a failure to save or restarting from scratch because we came up with a much more engaging way to do it.

Daizengar

I've avoided looking through the game development logs for chapters 1 and 2 to avoid any spoilers. I'm so glad to hear that this project is still alive, and looking forward to the next release.

I'll enjoy the revamped version of chapter 1 later today!

Thanks @Nyzer and @Elric and everyone who pitched in to makes this great game  :D

Pandemoniu

Quote from: Daizengar on May 11, 2020, 04:47:56 am'll enjoy the revamped version of chapter 1 later today!

Wait, the revamped Chapter 1 is out?! :D

Elric

Pandemoniu

Quote from: Elric on May 13, 2020, 01:55:34 amIt's not, lol
Welp.

Also, hello, Elric. :) How have you been?

Nyzer

Well, the mining event is very nearly done, finally! All I've got to do at this point is some minor wrap-up, and wait for feedback from the rest of the team.

For reference, I started planning this event in January 2019. After restarting from scratch multiple times, it's great to be within eyesight of the finish line on it.