• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 03:35:17 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Journey of the Five Battle Logs

Started by Jumza, March 29, 2013, 01:16:44 pm

Celdia

Zirekile wasn't too bad for me. I took a look at the new monster's skills, saw the vertical limitations on it and just made sure to keep everyone kind of spread out on the higher ground. Still got a little bit of RNG disapproval with 85%s missing for me and some 53% CT 00's hitting for them but since everyone is still so slow it didn't hurt me too bad. Wing attack is 100% Slow or was my luck just that bad? Also not too crippling again for the same reason as the CT 00s.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

RavenOfRazgriz

I'll just say, there's a reason some abilities will say "Add:Status" and other abilities will say "Random Add:Status" and let the rest speak for itself.

Good to see my manifested hate is still doing its job from within the RNG. :v

Pride

just started this morning on my playthrough, I havent played any of the demos so it was really refreshing and made me realize i havent actually played fft in a long time. The opening battle is almost annoying with the skeletons able to support each other with thunder soul and a hp draining attack. the second battle outside of lionel forced me to reset twice after my enemies grapped their fallen commards crystals. very easy to fall behind...

the alma battle strolled along without a struggle (having the reraise/mp healing attack as nice too!) . Bariaus Hill was... interesting. Cheer Up was amazing and the best ability buy. I also had snake as a chemist to learn Throw Item which seems like support early game in his base class. Those buffs were stupidly powerful and made the battle draw out longer then needed.

all in all... i cant wait til i get home and play some more : ]
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

MiKeMiTchi

I have few questions on some skills I thought of while doing the Sweegy Woods battle.
Bite random adds Cancel charging but the skill description says nothing about it. Is it supposed to work that way? Also, Melt removed oil status. I don't think that's apparent on its description.

On topic, on the first few battles, I make sure to get Cheer up as soon as possible. Once I get Cheer Up, I change Ramza into a Knight for Invigorate. Changing Link into a Wizard early in the game works so well, too, because of Epona's Song and Invigorate. Shock is unevadable so I don't have to worry about RNG. As for Cloud atnd Dante, Cntr Dearhthblow and First Strike changes the tide of the game for me. I find Cloud's Finishing Touch useless now that's Snake's more accurate Assassinate is around, and now I'm planning to change Snake into a Rogue to get that Bandit's Eye (+20% acc) because of Assassinate.

So far, the hardest battle for me was the Bariaus Hill main battle (v1.0) since I always had to sacrifice a unit to lure the Beastmaster into the party. The most 'strategic' battle for me was the 2nd battle, where I used Snake's Hide to block the gate and wait for the Knights to come inside! They won't know what'll hit them. The battle I had most fun with so far was the Bariaus Hill encounter where you don't even need to beat enemies, you just need to wait for enemies to beat themselves. Really entertaining.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

RavenOfRazgriz

March 31, 2013, 09:15:42 pm #44 Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:29:21 pm by RavenOfRazgriz
Bite Cancels Charging because it Adds Oil.  Adding Oil cancels out Charging, Defending, and Performing Statuses because some douchebag just threw fucking oil at you.

Melt removes Oil status because it's Fire Element and any Fire Element move will automatically remove Oil on-hit.  The Oil causes you to deal double damage and is burned up by the flames of your Fire Element attack.

EDIT: Jesus how much did you grind that's an assload of JP.

Jumza

Phew, that was an arduous battle of epic proportions.

It was pretty intense, and I won't go into detail because this battle took me an hour to complete but despite some losses (all of my hi potions and a ton of phoenix downs) I gained so much. I got so many crystals because enemies decided to stop bringing focus bangle (finally), and there were double war trophy pages XD. Also the five gained like 2 levels each in this battle, so I'm off to sweegy again after re-stocking items.

(Ramza actually gained 4 levels, he was a bit behind because of wish spam, but holy crap that's awesome.)

I applaud the designer of the random battles.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Jumza on April 01, 2013, 12:35:17 amI applaud the designer of the random battles.

For better or worse, you can pin every battle in this game on me in one way or another.  Even the ones that already existed in the game were heavily altered by me before the release.  The random battles have a lot of unique situations shoved in them with various degrees of spite for the player depending on where you find them, so feel free to hunt around.  You're probably more than aware of how the War Trophy system in the game works now so the harder ones will at least give you a sizable reward if you can beat them without burning your entire Inventory.

Jumza

April 01, 2013, 01:39:39 am #47 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:46:29 am by Jumza
Finally beat Sweegy! I can't stress the fact that A LARGER SKILL POOL MAKES LIFE EASIER enough. It made this battle 10x easier after picking up all those crystals in my previous random encounter. Also having a dedicated support unit or two (Leesha the priest and Ramza the Chemist) makes battles easier too.

I'm excited to move on with the next part of the story :D!

*Walks into Mandalia Plains* Me: Holy crap, I've been ambushed by the League of Powerful Women!
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Pride

oh jesus, i thougt "hey ill do a random battle to get some jp"

then the first one i get is 5 lamia and a beastmaster. thanks.

Jumza

Mandalia plains was smooth sailing... Relatively speaking.

I head into theives fort, there isn't any music just thunder is the background...
This game is so dramatic, it's awesome!

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Pride on April 01, 2013, 02:01:47 am
oh jesus, i thougt "hey ill do a random battle to get some jp"

then the first one i get is 5 lamia and a beastmaster. thanks.

You got the hardest battle at Bariaus Hill.  What awful luck.

Next you'll be meeting monsters in a swamp.

Jumza

I think there's some kind of mistake...
I beat Romar in about 3 minutes. He is extremely weak to magic because of the rain and 100% accuracy (50+ dmg shots hitting him every time), he runs in right away so the priests don't have much of a chance to heal him or buff him at all. I suggest giving him some kind of Mdef because this was the easiest fight in the game so far.

RavenOfRazgriz

Welcome to having a large arsenal of skills and being better at managing all the changes in Jot5.  This fight's a lot harder when you haven't grinded out a ton of skills so it's not something I'm particularly worried over it.  He doesn't have any crazy "1.3 defenses" or anything because it's your first assassination in the game and he can totally wreck your shit if he doesn't get dropped in one round.  I don't want it to be mandatory to grind heavily to beat every single fight, just something you can do when you're having trouble and need more help.  If more people comment he's far too easy though I'll toss a little something extra in, no problem.

There's plenty of challenging fights left ahead of you, though, don't worry.

Jumza

April 01, 2013, 03:07:54 am #53 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:46:59 am by Jumza
I see what you mean by more challenging fights ahead. Just got back to Lionel. He dropped Cloud and Link into critical in one ability. I'm scared lol.

Edit: Aha! I found his weakness!
A well placed venom strike from invisible snake got him losing large chunks of hp every turn, then it was just a matter of keeping everyone alive until Cloud could Climhazzard him. This was a tough fight, and I had a lot of resets for the pre-battle battle. But eventually I got some lucky blocks in and it was easier to stay alive.

Jumza

April 01, 2013, 11:38:15 am #55 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 12:21:10 pm by Jumza
Zigolis Swamp was... Intresting, too say the least.
I downed the Malboro rather quickly, and it killed Agrias but I revived her (Priest Ramza :D)
The Werewolves were really scary because they all had 100 Brave after a bit of spamming, and some PA Saves made them do like 100+ dmg per barrage hit. I had to use the un-even terrain and the fact that they couldn't enter the water against them.
The werewolves still spam that Brave+ ability even if they have 100 Brave... Made this battle take quite a long time.

I unlocked more deleted scenes! Cool, I love these things.

The next Zig Swamp battle was at a nice difficulty as well, hard but not anywhere near impossible.
MBarrier was my MVP, even if it wasn't a player at all XD (Although the new name for it escaped me at the moment)

Also my sig now has my favourite JoT5 quote XD. Agrias seems so much more light-hearted in this game, probably because she has more lines.

Pride

Im sure it was intentially done, but I loved that the thieves fort battle was nearly identical to the vanilla party (besides the special unit). Both battles are the first assassination battles too!

About to head to the final battles in the chapter ^__^

Jumza

April 01, 2013, 01:00:37 pm #57 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:38:01 pm by Jumza
Ganondorf can be poisoned, and therefor stalled to death, he couldn't use drain to heal himself because poison was doing more damage than he could heal for. Then both skeletons got hit with Counter Deathblow, and were killed by Snake, then Ganon got hit by a First Strike from Dante and got put down easily. Mustadio as useless as ever got one-shotted on the first turn of the match. I didn't bother reviving him.

NO! My only weakness!!!
Bosses immune to poison! And ones who can get rid of Snakes invisibility by using massive AOE skills. (That look super awesome btw).

First Try: I lose :( I need to change my strategy slightly because I can't poison stall him to death. Climhazzard is still an epic boss killer though, and I (think) nearly got him with it (I really have no idea how much HP he has, but I did quite a bit, so I assume I got close).

RavenOfRazgriz

He has... a lot of HP.  And a lot of options you probably haven't seen yet.  This fight will definitely test your endurance when you can't Toxicstall things. :v

Pride

Ganon is a punk. Sweet jesus. I might have to redue the two battles and grind a bit. Atleast he can be hit with immobilize but I dont think I have the proper staying power for this. Shell through Dante has made me last more then a couple turns but I need more. >_>

PS damage spilt sucks.