• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:40:08 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

What is your favorite thing about FFT JOT5?

Started by Tempest, June 27, 2016, 08:49:51 pm

Tempest

Just thought I'd fire up a new conversation for us all to have as nobody can figure out who the CS is and we already filled all the Mark slots :D

To us players and fans of the mod what are your favorite changes, additions, features or elements that you find the most attractive and awesome from JOT5 and its planned future?

To the devs who are working on the project, what are your favorite moments during the development process, or the thing you have the most pride in? (Feel free to share spoilers >:D)

Personally my favorite thing about JOT5 is a mixture of the amount of care that was put into the lore of not only tactics but the new heroes from foreign worlds. It feels genuine to perform as a sequel, even though its brought the main characters from multiple games into one - But i also love the marks and the amount of new game-play they have to offer. The challenge of this new tactics is extremely appropriate also, i don't save in between random battles usually, now i feel i gotta just in case o.o

Jumza

As someone who's contributed to the project, I'd say my favourite thing is the dedication of the core team and I don't think that any one of those people would have been able to band together to create something so awesome without Elric. He doesn't get enough credit for his never ending, unwavering dedication to this project.

*cough*

Anyway! My favourite part of JoT5 as a game is probably the story and the characters. New characters like Leesha and Olivander that weren't part of the original game nor brought over from another world really add to the depth of the narrative, and you can tell the care that went into crafting such interesting characters.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Nyzer

As a player, since I wasn't around until some time after the first release, I have to agree with what you said, Tempest -

QuotePersonally my favorite thing about JOT5 is a mixture of the amount of care that was put into the lore of not only tactics but the new heroes from foreign worlds. It feels genuine to perform as a sequel, even though its brought the main characters from multiple games into one

As one of the Jot5 staff? I like to think I managed to do well in the end with a lot of stuff I've worked on, but if I had to narrow it down... a lot of what I've done with upcoming Marks and Banter has been to try to capture the general mood of various people around Ivalice - how they're reacting to the changes following the Lion War and how they react to "Drake Seymour," the new Duke of Lionel, in particular.

A lot of characters Ramza meets during FFT really drive home how much of a crapsack world Ivalice is at the time. Many of them point out that they're all resigned to the idea that the nobility will forever control their lives, that they are all but pawns waiting to be sacrificed on a chess board for the nobles' gains, and that Ramza is a naive idiot for trying to change that, because it'll never work. Except that between his actions and Delita's, they do clear the board in the end.

In Jot5's Marks and Banter alone, Ramza's dealing with criminals, vigilantes, shopkeepers, nobles, commoners, knights, and adventurers - many of whom will act differently and have varying personalities - and a lot of what he's done during his first year as a Duke is going to play into that. Some people expect him to act like they're used to nobility acting - a selfish, me-first, everyone-is-expendable mentality. On the other hand, some people have already seen or heard of his actions and how he's not that kind of noble, even if they don't all believe it. And many people are very aware that Drake Seymour was a complete nobody (the identity never existed until Jot5 after all :P) until King Hyral personally gave him the highest noble title in the land, which makes them assume quite a lot about what that means.

Overall, this sort of thing has very little bearing on how the major conflicts and main plot of Jot5 play out, but I think it does a lot to help flesh out the world, make it feel alive, while also having strong ties to one of FFT's core themes - the idea that the nobles of Ramza's time were tripping all over themselves to screw over everyone else for power, and how it affected the common folk. Those nobles are gone, and Duke Seymour, as King Hyral's handpicked noble and apparent favorite, sets the tone for what people can expect Hyral's new favored lords to act like.

And you'll get to see the way Ramza's actions resonate among the various people of Ivalice, how he'll end up being remembered and talked about.

Also, I have to agree with Jumza:

QuoteI don't think that any one of those people would have been able to band together to create something so awesome without Elric. He doesn't get enough credit for his never ending, unwavering dedication to this project.

Case in point, our Skillset topic on the staff forum. That monster takes a long time to load Page 1 because of how unbelievably bloated it is with tables in spoilers (and on rare occasion it gives up and just crashes the page!), but that's how Elric set it up because he figured it'd make it easier for people to jump in to actually see how things were and be able to help contribute to it. And, indeed, I ended up having a tab open to that page for about a month straight. That's just one example of how crazily dedicated he is to not just working on Jot5, but also to helping the rest of us do it.

Props go to Xif, too, for much of the same reasons. She's gone out of her way to make amazing custom spreadsheets and other tools that make working on various parts of the game easy as pie, and they aren't even tools for her sake:
Quote14:15:50 <Xifanie> it just hurts me when I see you/nyzer doing that shit manually
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Twinees

DeJ

Let's see... where does an avid FFT fan even begin?

How about this... You guys took the FFT engine (which is timeless and the best SRPG engine IMO) and made a new game that has continuity with the one we all love, EXCEPT!!! you added a sweet and seemingly deep story with awesome unique characters! Link, Snake, Dante, Cloud and the Duke. That in itself is sweet and I'd play this game even without all the bonuses. Shit... I'd play this game as a mere FFT mod that allows you to start with the five in your party (and proceed to play through the original FFT storyline). However, you guys trumped that, went beyond it - and did something very, very ambitious that has gained you much respect, attention and support. I personally check this site 5+ times a week, just eating up all information I can get on this patch alone. I played the demo and it has been part of me ever since. This game presents the opportunity to start a BRAND NEW FFT adventure with 5 unique characters (non-generic sprites/jobs). I feel you have addressed a lot of the issues found in the original FFT (things that you know... break the game), which will add to the challenge and make this a game people will and quite frankly should play, especially anyone claiming to be a fan of the original. It's honestly a dream come true.

-I like that you have unique jobs for the 5. Gives you 5 strictly unique skillsets to start the game with (and strategize around).
-Move-Find Item has a true purpose for at least one sweep in every battle (as you can find better equipment)
-The Marks and Synth system (uhhh... hello original FFT? This is the PERFECT addition to a game like this)
-The boss battles are very challenging. It's not your typical 'fight knights in mandalia until rune blade becomes available, steal them, one-hit Velius and every other major boss'. You actually have to think and plan each move and use effects like Poison and Regen.
-Another thing to note, Link and Dante are very unique characters and their skills depend on what type of weapon they're using. This is genius and adds a lot more strategy and replayability - not to mention opens up the variety in weapons used.

These are just off the cuff thoughts, but all-in-all I know a lot more awaits with the re-release and then following chapters. I know I'll be blown away as will everybody else.

You guys kick major ass and I know I speak for the forum when I say we greatly appreciate all of your hard work!!

much love, DEJ

Lijj

Tempest

"I'd play this game as a mere FFT mod that allows you to start with the five in your party (and proceed to play through the original FFT storyline). However, you guys trumped that, went beyond it - and did something very, very ambitious that has gained you much respect"

Such a great point, i am the same way. I would gladly just use these amazing characters but we get the bonus of a well put together new adventure on top of that.

DeJ

You got that right Tempest!

I was always fascinated by 'unique/non-generic characters' in FFT. They have unique sprites, usually a unique job class and that added value to the game and my playthrough (even if the character wasn't all that effective, like Mustadio, save a few battles with the undead).

The freedom to start a new story with 5 unique characters is a huge win! Not to mention... Ramza can learn unique abilities from his enemies (ikanachi strike or whatever). It has created great anticipation and excitement to A) see what other unique characters are available (along w/ the re-vamped 'generic' classes) and B) see what other unique enemy-learned skills that Ramza can acquire.

Add new equipment, story, synth shop, marks, characters, plots, sprites, a bearded Ramza etc. and you guys have hit yourself a mammoth home-run.

Keep up the great work and keep any updates you have coming!

Thanks all, much love

Tempest

Yes... Updates :o star ocean 5 is not enough to keep me distracted from JOT5.

Elric

Quote from: Tempest on June 27, 2016, 08:49:51 pm
To us players and fans of the mod what are your favorite changes, additions, features or elements that you find the most attractive and awesome from JOT5 and its planned future?

I like events.
Also, synth shop, soldier office upgrade, other things

Quote from: Tempest on June 27, 2016, 08:49:51 pm
To the devs who are working on the project, what are your favorite moments during the development process, or the thing you have the most pride in? (Feel free to share spoilers >:D)

I take the most pride in my team, without them I wouldn't be able to do even 1/4 of what I do. The motivation and love I get from them is out of this world and keeps me going on a day to day basis, not just for the mod, but in my RL as well. The main currently active team (Xifanie, Twin, Nyzer, Angel, Choto, Lijj, Myself) are like family to me, some to different degrees than others due to how much we talk about things outside modding, but non are without my consideration and love. I cannot stress enough how much the team means to me and how grateful I am to each and every one of them for everything they've done for Jot5, Myself and the fans.

The above can really be the answer to the entire question, but as for the development process, my favorite part currently is crossing things off the to-do list haha. I want to play this game just as bad as the rest of you (maybe more ;)) however we have incredibly high standards when it comes to all things, luckily, I think we are a bit tapped out on coming up with NEW ambitious things to add that prolong the release, and even if we weren't I think we are just all trying to get caught up on these things. I know none of you (aside from the team) have ever really worked with Xifanie on anything before, but I can tell you it can get pretty intense, she somehow always has the best new ideas for mechanics and other aspects of the game that seemingly come out of nowhere, ie: Synth Shop, Soldier Office, New Prop Hack, New Jump Hack/Structure, Phoenix Hack. Seriously the list goes on, and it can even be intimidating working in her shadow a lot of the time, but so worth it, she does seriously amazing things that no one else even thinks of, let alone pulls off.

As for my favorite moments, well I mean...

Hyraldelita

Ok... What happened without me realizing?! Why people talk about Synth? is the re relase out and i didn't know it?
There wasn't Any synth when i player Jot5 O_o...

Well taking that apart...

My favourite things about jot5 is that it look so professional, that if you take the whole game and give it to some fan who have no idea about jot5, and let them play thinking this is called FFt2  they would believe it without even asking. i'm 100% sure of it, since the lvl of perfection behind things it's so high that , it would be the least you expect.
I personally am VERY demanding about FFT because it's my favourite game of all times. So if there was something that was off or whatever i wouldn't have gave this this much credit.

Characterization is unbilievable, if you tell someone that people put together in the same game, link snake, dante, and cloud, they would laugh at you , pretty sure about it. But here the char personality is kept so well, and ALL the speech and things they say , it's so much into THAT character , that they incredibly fit well together !

So this is definitely the part i like more about jot5 if jot5 was a cake, this would have been the cherry on top of it.
Soon after that, i love all the new sprites and the care which they doesn't seems to be off even of 1 pixel, and the way the FFT style was kept intact even if it's not the sme developer.
This is what i prefer about this ^^ i will add other things after i play the re relase, and hopefully chapter 2.

But this thing is bugging me... why i know nothing about this synth thing? I know it was in program , but do actually people played it?!O_o

Elric

The only people here who have mentioned the Synth shop, are part of the Jot5 Team. Lijj actually made the background image for the synth shop.

Ive also talked very indepth about what it is and how it will work, lol.

Elric

Credits to Lijj on the Synth Shop image, be sure to show him some love!

KingUrameshi

That looks like a mighty fine place to pick up a new glass piece. ;)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Tempest

Very well done on the image, the most flattering true thing i can say is this -  It looks like it belonged and fits in the game in the first place. The tricky thing about these types of things is making it proper to where it belongs with the lore and overall feel of the game. This image is more in depth than even the ones made by professional paid developers.

Jumza

My favourite thing about that image are the ladders, reminds me of the one in the shop :P But yeah, it's incredibly well done isn't it?
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Hyraldelita

Ah ok , phew ^^ i thought i did lost something on the way xD , but yea it look awesome, i really wanna see how it look in game !!

DeJ

WOW!

The event, Link vs. Dark Link is immaculate!
The Synth Shop looks amazing as if it totally belongs.

Amazing work all. Amazing!

Tempest

My favorite thing about JOT5 is that the dev team is going to surprise us with a release of ch 2 and 1 remake in.. the next few... days? Maybe?... no? :(