• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:23 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Monster abilities on humans

Started by Quillbeatssword, February 01, 2018, 11:39:21 pm

Quillbeatssword

So I added a bunch of monster abilities to the unused skillset #50 including triple breath, leaf dance, wave around, thundersoul etc. I filled the skillset and everything seems to work without glitches
Thought I'd mention this because I've seen it mentioned around that monster abilities look buggy on humans.
  • Modding version: PSX
I respect anyone with the knowledge to design tools for any game I mod. From total war, Rotk, Dragon age etc. That being said. Some of the best mods I ever used/created came from people with no knowledge of tool creation but a great knowledge of the tool. Some people can use the tools you make better than you. Saying a lack of that particular skillset doesn't make you a good/great modder is like saying using a game engine you didn't code makes you a crap game designer or a mechanic that didn't design the wrench is a bad mechanic. Stay humble. Everyone has different skillsets. Everyone contributes differently.

Nyzer

They're not always set to animations that match standard spell casting on humans. And from my experience with event editing (and having early attempts reviewed by far more experienced eventers) I can say it's easy to miss something that sticks out like a sore thumb to others if you're not quite sure what to look for.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Quillbeatssword

What I did was used 1ability from every monster family.
So one Chocobo ability
One cat ability
One bomb ability etc.
Conveniently there are just enough still slots to use 1 ability from every beast type ;)
I mean some of the cast animations look silly but I was expecting the sprite to fall apart from what people had been saying.
The end result was in fact a very usable job that doesn't have any serious hiccup in animation. I'll try to post a video or something or you can check it out when I release the beta for the patch sometime today hopefully.

• Modding version: PSX
I respect anyone with the knowledge to design tools for any game I mod. From total war, Rotk, Dragon age etc. That being said. Some of the best mods I ever used/created came from people with no knowledge of tool creation but a great knowledge of the tool. Some people can use the tools you make better than you. Saying a lack of that particular skillset doesn't make you a good/great modder is like saying using a game engine you didn't code makes you a crap game designer or a mechanic that didn't design the wrench is a bad mechanic. Stay humble. Everyone has different skillsets. Everyone contributes differently.