• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:08 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

ShadowDragon15

March 09, 2014, 10:08:35 am #3080 Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 10:24:22 am by ShadowDragon15
haha Malroth, you bring the fiddle, I've got the electric guitar. I'll partner with you Malroth, if that's ok.
Strategy is just magical.

Reks

As good as it sounds, i'm completely burned out on Arena.

Maybe another one, later on.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Elmdork

you can count me in. PM me if you need a partner.
The bird of Hermes is my name
Eating my wings to make me tame
  • Discord username: rouroni elmdor

Zotis

I haven't been on for a couple of months... I noticed I got some more matches and Otabo was commentating.  Good job btw Otabo, you're commentating is top notch.

Well I tried to take to heart some of the critiques of Medusa, I think it should be much more streamlined and focused on what it's supposed to do.  I tend to over complicate things so now my focus is, 1 person goes around healing everyone, 1 person casts frog, 1 casts petrify, and 1 whacks for faith.  Let's see if they do it properly.  :)

I'll just comment on the name pronunciation since everyone seems to be having a hard time.
Lamia (Lamb-ee-ah)
Euryale (Yur-yail)
scylla (Sill-ah)
keledones (kell-eh-doughns)

I hope that helps...

ShadowDragon15

I'm happy to see these Duo Teams are actually doing well. Barren/CT5Holy's team came back to win, and that was a surprise. Me personally, am a huge fan of magic, and to see Reinoe's team get rolled over in the first round, I pretty much assumed that the unbalance of the the duo team would get them rolled over again in the second round. But I was wrong, and they came back to win the whole thing. Very nice to see!

I'm also really happy with my team, Magical Entertainment, going head to head against a team that has proven difficult to me before, and even had a magic defense boost. So seeing them overcome that, made me excited. GG though DomieV.

One thing about the Duo Teams, I can see it being a bit of a hinderence, making two units when you have no idea what the other two units, so the balancing of them and following regulations will make the team-building process a little longer to do. But, I really do like the idea, disregarding that fact. Hope to see more!

CT5Holy

Well, so far, one person has PM'd the other 2 of the units, which lets the second person make a pair of units to compliment the first player's. Definitely wouldn't have seen Last Song from me otherwise (also made me sad that Barren's monk had FS Bag instead of H Bag! but it's ok).
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

ShadowDragon15

you got that one Last Song to quick 3 units. extremely lucky.

silentkaster

When one of the recorders get a chance, will someone record a match with Taboo Topics? I don't care what team it goes against...I just haven't seen them in action yet.

Also, may buy a new laptop with some of my tax money when it comes in...would someone mind showing me how to record if and when I do?
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Otabo

Quote from: silentkaster on March 10, 2014, 10:08:48 pm
When one of the recorders get a chance, will someone record a match with Taboo Topics? I don't care what team it goes against...I just haven't seen them in action yet.

I've already recorded a match with them - just have to render and upload it. If it's not up tonight, it will be up tomorrow.

silentkaster

Thanks Otabo!

Yeah, Otabo's team is really good for one. I know you always tell people to go with Thief Hat in your videos so I purposely did Secret Clothes + Holy Miter for her to leave you the option of having Thief Hat. I didn't have Murasame since he has Cursed Ring and that wouldn't help him at all unfortunately. However, I'm going to get rid of Cursed Ring for something else. I think our team is more of a blitz team and I think Murasame + some other accessory > than Masamune + Cursed Ring. Him getting back up really didn't come into play, but eh, it was worth a try. Anyway, yeah...I'm gonna change a couple things on my units and PM you. GG Otabo, strong magic team you have there!!! I saw this team in your Inactive Teams forever and thought it was going to be good...what a nice introduction! Ha ha.

Very strong offensive teams. Fun to watch. I think Bible Belt has a little too much sandbagging going on though. I think maybe the Summoner would do well with a different Secondary like Steal for Steal Heart or something. The first round went so well for Reinoe because his team almost (if at all, can't remember) didn't sandbag at all. Once they started sandbagging in Round 2 and Round 3, it was a slow, painful death.

I was really rooting for Domie V only because of the fact that Paladins are so hard to work with and he's revised this team to be better and better so many times. I really wanted to see them pull out the V. But ShadowDragon's team (like most of his) is so offense based. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem for Paladins which is arguably the most tanky class but...damn...those Flares. I originally kinda cringed seeing them knowing Flare's CT and no Short Charge but apparently, this didn't matter whatsoever...at least not on this match up. Good job ShadowDragon.

Barren, I don't know where you got the team name from actually! Ha ha, maybe I missed something? Anyway, the first map was pretty unfortunate for Otabo...and then what was that when the dancer (at least I just saw the dancer, maybe the monk did it too) gets a turn and does nothing? I wanted to be like...Hell no you did not just skip your turn. You have a Phoenix Blade...turns don't come along very often and you straight up wasted it on doing NOTHING? Sorry Otabo, I felt your pain when that happened. I'm not sure it would have mattered if she did get a turn and started dancing or whatever since your other two units were pretty incapacitated at that point and our damage dealers were right on top of them but...alas...anyway Round 2 was where Otabo's units really got to show more of what they were capable of...and Slow Dance and Last Dance were hitting relatively often. The ninja getting up with 3 HP didn't help matters much though and the damage had been done already so...anyway GG Otabo.
You've stepped in puddles less shallow than me.

Otabo

March 10, 2014, 11:55:19 pm #3092 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 12:06:08 am by Otabo
Frog vs. Frog. Who wins?

FFT Arena 1.38d - Shadowdragon15 (Frogger) vs. Zotis (Medusa)

Got two more, but they're gonna be up sometime tomorrow.

Quote from: silentkaster on March 10, 2014, 11:33:09 pm
GG Otabo, strong magic team you have there!!! I saw this team in your Inactive Teams forever and thought it was going to be good...what a nice introduction! Ha ha.

Yeah it's been inactive since last spring. :D It's one of my three (soon to be four) seasonal theme teams alongside Advocates of Autumn and Wintry Wenches. They're not really teams I focus on to be honest; they're just "for fun" teams. I do have to admit that Springtime Sisters is decently strong, though.

Barren, I don't know where you got the team name from actually! Ha ha, maybe I missed something? Anyway, the first map was pretty unfortunate for Otabo...and then what was that when the dancer (at least I just saw the dancer, maybe the monk did it too) gets a turn and does nothing? I wanted to be like...Hell no you did not just skip your turn. You have a Phoenix Blade...turns don't come along very often and you straight up wasted it on doing NOTHING? Sorry Otabo, I felt your pain when that happened. I'm not sure it would have mattered if she did get a turn and started dancing or whatever since your other two units were pretty incapacitated at that point and our damage dealers were right on top of them but...alas...anyway Round 2 was where Otabo's units really got to show more of what they were capable of...and Slow Dance and Last Dance were hitting relatively often. The ninja getting up with 3 HP didn't help matters much though and the damage had been done already so...anyway GG Otabo.

Seeing that leaves me to think that I should revert Divas back to their original setup like I had them before they became an immortal team. Hmm. I'm gonna tinker with them and see what else I can come up with. Or at least make them somewhat like Dudes.

reinoe

March 11, 2014, 12:11:37 am #3093 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:26:21 am by reinoe
Quote from: silentkaster on March 10, 2014, 11:33:09 pm

Very strong offensive teams. Fun to watch. I think Bible Belt has a little too much sandbagging going on though. I think maybe the Summoner would do well with a different Secondary like Steal for Steal Heart or something. The first round went so well for Reinoe because his team almost (if at all, can't remember) didn't sandbag at all. Once they started sandbagging in Round 2 and Round 3, it was a slow, painful death.

Yeah, I have a tendency to put a lot of resurrection on my teams.  Usually three units can revive.  For some reason when I have 2 revivers they're the first ones killed because I'm unlucky like that.  Fairy is great for when it saves two units but that is so rare.  But in this instance having two RAISE 2 units should be sufficient.  I'm happy enough with what I've seen from the team though.  I might change one unit to a Silver Bow Archer w/golden Hairpin+ Breaks and quickening.  For now these nuns are going back to the monestary to study more on how to kick butt in the name of the lord.

GG Barren and CT5HOLY!  That was a fun match.

Quote from: Otabo on March 10, 2014, 11:55:19 pm
Frog vs. Frog. Who wins?

FFT Arena 1.38d - Shadowdragon15 (Frogger) vs. Zotis (Medusa)

Got two more, but they're gonna be up sometime tomorrow.

Yep, the match you were referring to was Magical Melodies vs Famous Knights.  That was a fun match.  I remember because Rek's team kinda rage quit and were attacking each other.
My dreams can come true!

Zotis

I just swapped Dispel Magic for Zombie.  I meant to give the time mage Zombie when I gave the paladin Seal Evil, but I forgot by the time I got to the time mage.

Barren

Hint for silentkaster: Do you play pokemon?
You dare cross blades with me?

Reks

Quote from: reinoe on March 11, 2014, 12:11:37 am
Yep, the match you were referring to was Magical Melodies vs Famous Knights.  That was a fun match.  I remember because Rek's team kinda rage quit and were attacking each other.

I do as well. It was embarrassing, to me.
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

ShadowDragon15

March 11, 2014, 02:11:39 pm #3097 Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 02:21:46 pm by ShadowDragon15
Frogs casting frogs... frogs and bio 2's flying around everywhere... and lots of angry snakes... Good match! fun to watch. I saw frog proc for Bio 2 a ridiculously high amount of times. That was great. I wanted to see a frog get petrified, though...

Anyway, I changed the team a bit. I kept the wizard with just frogging, I know it's weird being MA stacked, but I like high accuracy frogging power. Removed Leviathon and blind/paralyze from the summoner, but gave her fairy. I want her to be petrifying those who have been frogged. Scholar stayed the same, to deal some damage and to proc more frog. and the Thief, I gave steal heart to, and lowered speed just a little bit. he's mainly for distraction, and keeping the enemy team off balance while these frogs and petrifies are going to come raining down. My idea is to bog the enemy team enough to where they're all petrified to lose, or frogged to be extremely weakened. damage dealing is a second, maybe even third priority, after making sure the team stays alive. They all have a status to proc, and they all have various resurrection as well. So yeah, just my thought about that team.

Zotis

The problem with high MA stacking your frog wizard is that it is not an efficient use of your resources.  It doesn't give you a very significant improvement over the slightly lower accuracy compared to what you could do with those item slots, so that is why you will be criticized by pretty much every commentator.  I suggest you at least try giving your wizard some different gear just to experiment (you can always switch it back).  Even in a long match he will probably only miss one or two more frog spells from the slightly less accuracy.  Remember, each MA only gives 1% accuracy.  Stacking gets you maybe 8% accuracy tops at the expense of making your wizard extremely fragile, not worth it.  That's why they say, "You don't have anything that takes advantage of the high MA."  Damage spells do significantly more damage with those MA boosts, much more significant than 8% accuracy.

You see adding 8% to a spell with 50% accuracy is much more significant than adding 8% to 80% accuracy.  That's why you'll see units that MA stack for accuracy are usually using low accuracy spells.