• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:10:53 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Arena battle videos and discussion

Started by PX_Timefordeath, August 04, 2010, 06:49:51 pm

Reks

I'm back. For more punishment or whatever, but i'm back all the same.

Can I have a match or two? Might do some myself if I can find the time between work, but no promises.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Barren

You dare cross blades with me?

Otabo

November 20, 2012, 01:48:00 pm #1742 Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:49:56 pm by Otabo

Match 1: Soon as I knew it was against Wiz's team, I knew it was GG. Not surprised.

Match 2: Those Tornadoes packed quite the punch. I should find some way to get that Squire some blind protection, however. Perhaps, I'll switch out Magic Ring for Angel Ring.

Match 3: Would've like to see more Flame Rod melee attacks from Apple, but that's cool. Pear might be losing Life Drain because she needs to status more. Squire might be getting Chirijiraden, but I'll need to tweak her for that. All-around good match.

Match 4: Team does what it was designed to do: status some, nuke everything else quickly before they die, haha. Mission accomplished. Probably will be keeping this team around for a while.

Match 5: Match would have been over a lot quicker if that geomancer was hit with innocent earlier, but my team decided to focus on other targets. Archer is definetly losing Hawk's Eye next time I get the chance to edit this team. Mediator did a great job keeping the scholar down too.

Overall, stellar performances. I really would like Shroom Squad to get another matchup, though. So I can decide what to do with them. Gonna be keeping them in the needs action category.

Oh yeah, some good ones here.

FFT Arena 1.38d - Reks

Malroth

Match 4 also would have been over a lot quicker the other way had your Mediator not evaded 8 summon spells in a row

Reks

The RNG hates SWA, nowadays. Nanten has been enjoying victory after victory, however. So.....

Thanks for the matches, Otabo.

Taichii

back as well ;)
dokurider, your teams will crumble on my hands MWAHAHAHA!
hello mods~ can i have a match with doku's teams? :D
arigathanks~♠
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

Barren

Barren

TrueLight

Well, that went better than expected. Tanky Thief & Ninja FTW.
  • Modding version: PSX

Dokurider

Today was Sweeps and Blitzes all day every day. Not a single vid over 11 minutes.

Vigilanti vs Otabo: Poor Shroom Squad can't seem to catch a break; Otabo's Squire in particular being unable to land those initial critical shots. Vigilanti's Chemist was surprisingly effective at keeping Otabo's units down, considering it's brave. Holy and Fuuton continues to do work.

Reks vs AeroGP: I think the main problem was that that AeroGP's Mediator would have been more effective if it could actually deal some kind of damage and if it dropped Blackmail, as we say the entire match the AI was overprioritizing Don't Act over the more effective Berserk.

Dokurider vs Taichii: Don't feel too bad, Taichii. The maps were both in my favor the entire time. Even the second map required more manuevering than it appears to require.

1st Match: One of the most critical events in the match happened right at the beginning with Nameless dance procing slow on a critical unit, the Priest. With the lessened support of the Priest, Rai the Samurai had to rush forward without support was doomed to be lured by the blood of my Mediator and eventually isolated and killed across the map. In fact, that Slow proc did more damage than anything else in this match, including that Oil and Silence proc. But you can't blame Nameless Dance from doing what it's supposed to be doing.

2nd Match: One lucky Mimic Daravon and the match was already decided.

I'll be PM'ing you some advice later on, Taichii.

I'll comment on the rest later on.

The Damned

November 22, 2012, 01:46:57 am #1750 Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 08:02:18 am by The Damned
(I'm seriously beginning to feel like Masamune is Sheng Long here.)

Damn it. I wanted to save my comment until I was able to see if ARENA ran on my laptop, but I haven't gotten around to that yet still. I think that I had problems with the memory card last time I tried to do anything at all with it, which is why I never bothered earlier this year.

Regardless, I'll try and check soon. Thanks as always, Barren and Otabo.

Quite competent for a newcomer's first team. I watched this three days or so ago, so I don't recall what happened as much as everything that follows this.

All I remember is that there were probably the most instances of Silence in one round against reinoe and that it was nice to see Madlemgen & Last Song & Silence Song get used. Also, I remember that the RNG basically gave Zalbaag the finger really hard and repeatedly in his last round against CT5Holy.

I'm still convinced that the more problematic abilities here are Quickening and, increasingly, Masamune rather than Insult. Insult could probably indeed use a bit of an accuracy nerf since it's unavoidable without Finger Guard. Considering that it's been a while since S1 was originally conceived however, it's going to take a lot more wins for me to be convinced that Insult needs to outright die; similarly that Refute is better off broken up. This especially with the Defense Ring actually getting a lot of use now, Concentrate having returned and Berserk always being capable of backfiring horribly in general.

Not much to say here really except that it's nice to see Tornado finally get some use given Magic Ring isn't as common due to Defense Ring now. I confess that I keep thinking "Koko desu ka" every time I see it go off, which is part of the reason I admittedly like to see it.

Weird to see the Samurai so casually Bizen Boat her own Wizard, especially since neither of the Archers was charging. However, her Wizard still had MP leftover and that Bizen Boat arguably won Otabo the match right off the bat since both Archers were immediately made nigh useless. Other than that, nice to see Life Drain finally get use.

Geez, perfect storm here for Otabo. That poor Archer was screwed off the bat. Stop! Don't Act! Don't Move! Funny how those would have basically worn off all the same time anyway if he hadn't been killed soon after. Otherwise, nothing to say here except this would have been a "perfect" match for Otabo if that Damage Split hadn't gone off and if the Oracle had been able to dodge Odin somehow since that's all the other team got off damage-wise.

This probably wouldn't have dragged for so long if the Geomancer had gotten hit earlier with Innocent. Then again, Malroth might have won if he had a Summon that wasn't able to dodged, such as Silf, since pretty much the only Summon that managed to hit the Mediator was the one Leviathan after the Bard got hit with Innocent. I'm not sure why that even still did damage, though I don't really mind considering old Innocent shut down Faith-magic completely.

Also, I must confess that I'm slightly jealous that Otabo does the same Innocent & Ninjutsu strategy that I tried to do, but actually manages to win. Figures.

It's nice to see that none of these teams had Masamune.

I'm really not sure what's more disgusting: the amount of damage those Dancers with Dragon Whisker were doing via unavoidable Jumps or the 406 damage swing that the Bard's Bloody Strings kept hitting for. The latter is probably slightly more disgusting if only because for months I've been harping on the fact that Bloody Strings pretty much obviates the other two Instruments. It having the same WP but healing the user 100% of the time for 100% of the damage will do that compared to two far more iffy "procs", especially since it's still quite easy to kill Undead units.

Otherwise, there's really nothing else to say here since this was just a curb-stomp, which happens from time to time. I suppose it was nice to see a unit use Heretic though.

In that first match, the Mime didn't mimic the first Chakra for some reason. I really wish that we'd learned why Mimes don't perfectly mimic everything that they can by now. Maybe it was because the Monk Acted and then Moved towards the edge of the map? That doesn't seem like it though since other abilities have worked when that happened....

Speaking of the Mime, Dol's team was surprisingly somewhat stupid about not using X-Potion to heal themselves as well when they could have just healed the Mime from the front instead of the back almost every time. This is notable because they were also damaged in every instance due to Thunder Flare. The AI seems to oscillate so much about how smart it can be with Mimic....

Other than that, not much to say about the two rounds themselves. Reks could have, arguably "should" have, won both of them. If only HP Restore hadn't gone off so much after it missed the first time in round one and if only Dol's team hadn't decided to just suddenly block everything and counter Petrify the Priest in the last minute of the second round. The absurd fatal critical on the full HP Scholar in the first round didn't exactly help either.

Shroom Squad losing against isn't really surprising. I don't say that because it's as poorly constructed as my Poison-based team was. Instead, I say that just because I doubt that any Poison-based team has a chance of ever winning right now due to the way that Masamune is. Aside from Shiva and Houkouton seeing use, there's really nothing to say here.

Hunh. I originally thought this was AeroGP's to lose, if only because I figured that Counter Magic would literally backfire horribly for Reks given his previous "luck" with Severe Weather Alert. However, between the Paladin having a weird set-up that proved unable to harm the Scholar enough, the Wizard being the first person to get killed off both times and the Mediator proving to be an ultimately ineffectual annoyance, things didn't turn out that way. Hmm...now I'm tempted to try a Fire-absorb team despite there still not being any Fire weapons to try to use Grand Cross with....

AeroGP might have won if the Mediator had Mimic Daravon instead, especially since Reks' team bunched up in the first round to the point where it could have hit everyone. That or just dropping Blackmail in general, which is weird because Blackmail is usually more effective....

Regardless, I think this might literally be the first time in 138, at least in a while, where a team that had Masamune actually lost against a team that didn't have it.

...Not really much to say here that Barren didn't already get to himself. I think this might be the first time that I've ever seen Esuna outright miss in ARENA though with no other intervening factors, such as the former target having been killed off or cured of status just before.

Not much to say here either except that it's nice to see Gastrafitis finally get used again. Well, that and that Sasuke Knife continues to show how pathetic it is by continuing to inflict crap damage even when given to units that are meant to utterly abuse the brokenness that is Quickening. That really says something considering that Sasuke Knife is powered-up in part by Speed-boosting.

Again, nothing much to say here except that this match may hold the record for longest title in ARENA now.

Well, I suppose there is one more thing to say: "Quake! With! FEAR!"

I think that might be both the most times that Quake has gone off in a match and the first time that Quake (or Tornado) has basically hit everyone on a team at once (since the Paladin only avoided it due to Float). As I've said a couple of times before, it's nice to see both Tornado and Quake finally getting use.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

reinoe

November 22, 2012, 06:26:56 am #1752 Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:39:02 am by reinoe
Regardless, I think this might literally be the first time in 138, at least in a while, where a team that had Masamune actually lost against a team that didn't have it.

I'm tempted to peruse the 1.38 video's just to see if that's true, if only because I don't want to believe it.
Quote from: Dokurider on November 22, 2012, 04:49:04 am

Lol
My dreams can come true!

Dokurider

It isn't. Most of my teams don't have Masamune these days, and Taichii *was* running Masamune. It's just that I don't think they even used once. He might have used it at the very beginning, but that was the last time we saw it for sure.

The Damned

(Ugh. I really need to proofread the first time around. That last post....)

I'm now tempted to make a Samurai named Ryu....

Anyway, I recall two things that I couldn't remember with regards to the last post:

1. That Zalbaag set of matches finally showed proof that Oil negates elemental absorption. So I'll no longer have to wonder or ask about that.

2. I realized shortly after I posted that Innocent no longer screws over Faith-magick completely because of the Fury-esque hack for Faith. That's a...pleasant side (?) effect of that hack that I hadn't realized until now.

Quote from: Dokurider on November 22, 2012, 07:01:10 am
It isn't. Most of my teams don't have Masamune these days, and Taichii *was* running Masamune. It's just that I don't think they even used once. He might have used it at the very beginning, but that was the last time we saw it for sure.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Taiichi didn't use Masamune at all.

And, yeah, it's not like Masamune or even Quickening are auto-win buttons. They're both just really obnoxious and Masamune is more likely to get modified again than Quickening (unfortunately).

Oh well.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Reks

Masamune is one of those wierd ones that, if it was as it used to be, it's too powerful. And if it becomes only self-targeting, it'd be kinda weak, but that in turn would make Haste and such a bit more desired. So to be honest, there's no fair solution since no matter what, someone is gonna bitch about it.

In my own opinion, if it were nerfed to self-targeting only, it'd make Time Magic more appealing, which I haven't seen used for support in a while. But I support magic over other abilities, so that's my bias.

Now time to cook up a team with a Time Mage.

Taichii

masamune betrayed me, that's why i et made me melchior a while ago hahaha
GG dokurider i hope i can battle with you again in close quarter combat~~ YATATA~! XD

"Desperation"

Barren

Taichii

GG i will watch the other 2 matches later when i come back home :)

i just dont know why my samurai became a full support >< i should change warpath to move + 1 but what should i lose to gain more gp?
i'll have to rearrange things later when i come back home.. dokurider please do pm me . thank you :)

"Desperation"

Reks

Your team hit harder and lasted longer, plus you got the short end of the stick on a great map against me. Other than that, they did their best. GG!

Once they get that rhythmic attack pattern in, it's hard to last long against it. GG Ahong, and those two 20 MA/PA units of yours are scary...

Dispite being unfinished, they had such a lasting power that surprised me. That mime was useless, as expected, but the rest can easily be tweaked here and there. GG Tai!