• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:53 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Troubleshooting FFTPatcher! (Post all FFTPatcher questions here!)

Started by RavenOfRazgriz, December 10, 2012, 01:31:47 pm

lirmont

The font is wide (i.e. change it in the theme to one that's less wide with less vertical spacing).

Xifanie

In W7: Under Control Panel / Display, my laptop defaulted to 125% zoom which caused that first bug to occur. Set it to 100% as it should be.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Angel

Honest question: what is your native language set to in XP? That sort of thing occasionally happens if it's set to Japanese or Korean, though I'm not sure what causes this specifically. Font settings shouldn't matter inside the program window, but region settings can.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

scbw1234

Quote from: lirmont on July 07, 2014, 09:55:59 am
The font is wide (i.e. change it in the theme to one that's less wide with less vertical spacing).

How do you change font setting WIN XP?

scbw1234

Quote from: Toshiko on July 07, 2014, 10:24:54 am
Honest question: what is your native language set to in XP? That sort of thing occasionally happens if it's set to Japanese or Korean, though I'm not sure what causes this specifically. Font settings shouldn't matter inside the program window, but region settings can.

Chinese :(

lirmont

• Open FFTPatcher to the window you're having trouble with.

• Right-click somewhere empty on the desktop.

• Select "Properties" from the context menu.

• Select the "Appearance" tab.

• Click the "Advanced" button.

• Choose a different font and size until the program looks like you want it to (hit "OK" then "Apply"; NOTE: the program probably expects Tahoma 8pt).

• Optional: Change the font back afterwards.

Windows Forms applications provide programmers with the ability to auto-size their components. In other words, were all the components a size that fit your personal choice of desktop font? Probably. Ideally, these auto-size components (like the numeric up and down controls) could increase in size and decrease in size without having to worry about their actual placement on a form; Windows Forms is designed to do that. However, those components have to actually be inside of a container that lays them out properly (based on new heights and widths). Instead, if the component is just anchored to the form, you'll see components start to overlap (like in the screenshots you posted). That's a problem with the application, but, rather than re-do the layout, you can just change the font to fall back to what the application expected your font to look like.

scbw1234

Quote from: lirmont on July 07, 2014, 07:22:52 pm

• Open FFTPatcher to the window you're having trouble with.

• Right-click somewhere empty on the desktop.

• Select "Properties" from the context menu.

• Select the "Appearance" tab.

• Click the "Advanced" button.

• Choose a different font and size until the program looks like you want it to (hit "OK" then "Apply"; NOTE: the program probably expects Tahoma 8pt).

• Optional: Change the font back afterwards.

Windows Forms applications provide programmers with the ability to auto-size their components. In other words, were all the components a size that fit your personal choice of desktop font? Probably. Ideally, these auto-size components (like the numeric up and down controls) could increase in size and decrease in size without having to worry about their actual placement on a form; Windows Forms is designed to do that. However, those components have to actually be inside of a container that lays them out properly (based on new heights and widths). Instead, if the component is just anchored to the form, you'll see components start to overlap (like in the screenshots you posted). That's a problem with the application, but, rather than re-do the layout, you can just change the font to fall back to what the application expected your font to look like.

No matter what i do in the font option,i just can't get it right,could you show me your setting?

lirmont

This Version

Here's a version of that program that doesn't turn visual styles on: download. There were also a couple of other things that weren't configured to have the font changed (the Patch ISO windows, for instance; also, the item heights of the ENTD unit list). This addresses those. As per the previous post, it looks for the font you set in the theme under "Message Box" (whereas the previous version didn't). The visual styles are turned off to prevent the blue buttons (which are large) from winding up on the numeric up/down controls.

scbw1234

I've tried 4.83,but the problem still occur.I guess its not the font problem then.

lirmont

The goal of the version I reconfigured wasn't to let you use the font you had (i.e. the problem font). The goal was to let you set Tahoma (i.e. the font it was designed for) in the theme so that it will look like it was designed to look. There are two problems: (1) the font and (2) the button size XP's button skins add to the really small, nearly absolutely positioned numeric up/down controls. The first issue causes overlaps like the "Effect:" over the combo box; this is the font's fault (i.e. temporarily switch to Tahoma in the theme). The second issue causes overlaps like when the numeric up/down controls would overlap each other (i.e. you could turn the theme to classic in XP which doesn't have those huge button skins, but the version I reconfigured turns that off just for the application).

Timbo

July 10, 2014, 08:18:52 pm #70 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:30:06 pm by Jack of All Trades
I accidentally saved over my patch as a psp patch. Is there anyway to undo this?
  • Discord username: Timbo

scbw1234

Quote from: lirmont on July 09, 2014, 10:00:37 pm
The goal of the version I reconfigured wasn't to let you use the font you had (i.e. the problem font). The goal was to let you set Tahoma (i.e. the font it was designed for) in the theme so that it will look like it was designed to look. There are two problems: (1) the font and (2) the button size XP's button skins add to the really small, nearly absolutely positioned numeric up/down controls. The first issue causes overlaps like the "Effect:" over the combo box; this is the font's fault (i.e. temporarily switch to Tahoma in the theme). The second issue causes overlaps like when the numeric up/down controls would overlap each other (i.e. you could turn the theme to classic in XP which doesn't have those huge button skins, but the version I reconfigured turns that off just for the application).

Still no good.I change all the font to Tahoma,the layout is still messed up.

lirmont

Okay, then please check the "Items" tab for me of this version: download. It takes a lot of work to reorganize the layout into this format, but, if that tab is laid out how you expect (undo any changes you've done to the XP theme), I don't mind doing it for the rest of them. This version also benefits from the whole form's size, meaning you can see more options at any given time. Again, the "Items" tab is the only one I've done it for, and that took over an hour.

This is what it looks like:

scbw1234

Hey lirmont,how ya doing.

This is 483 from XP with window stretch to maximum.

This is the original 482 from Win7.

You see,the real problem lies in the scroll down capacity shown above.For example when i click on "formula",in XP i could only see from 01 to 08,but in Win7 i could see from 01 to 1E.

And not just that,also from the shop avalibility tab,Win7 shows more vertically while in XP its shows in horizontal which if the windows is not maximized,you would need to scroll from left to right to see it all,like the pic thats shown in your reply

lirmont

The setting for how many drop down items to show can be overridden easily enough in the code. I'll start working on the rest of the layouts now.

scbw1234

Quote from: lirmont on July 21, 2014, 05:03:19 pm
The setting for how many drop down items to show can be overridden easily enough in the code. I'll start working on the rest of the layouts now.

Thank you lirmont!I really appreciate the hard work you put into this!

lirmont

Alright, here it is (same link): download.

It's not 100%, but I believe it will suit your purposes: (1) combo box drop downs use available space (sometimes less options are shown on purpose, though), (2) no controls overlap, and (3) the "Patch ISO" screens are sizable now. Things I know are still wrong: (1) doesn't handle big fonts, (2) controls near edges of parents sometimes get cut off (change to smaller font), and (3) animation tab takes a long time to load (but it looks nice).

Here is a screenshot:

Touchet

So I am following Elric's guide on how to make a story mod, http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=8229.0, and he mentions
QuoteStep 16:  Go into your FFTP Folder and Open FFTP, Step 17: Once FFTP is open load your Vanilla Image file

When I open FFTP482, I'm not exactly sure how to open my image. I got to the 'PSX' tab and 'Open Patched ISO' but when I choose my vanilla image I get the error "An error of type System.IO.IOException occurred: IO error occurred.

Is there some other way I am supposed to open my image other than that? I don't see another option and this is preventing me from moving forward to learn all of this stuff.

Thanks in advance to anyone who has any information on this.

~Touchet

Celdia

I'm not certain, but I think that error pops up when you're trying to open the ISO and it's already open in something like [like Shishi.]
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Touchet

Thank you Celdia, this was absolutely the problem. You rock!