Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed. Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section.

Pages: [1]
pokeytax [Posts: 515]
  • View Profile
  • [March 21, 2013, 11:38:09 PM]
MIDI to SMD v0.5: FFT Music Converter
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »
This is an Excel workbook (Excel-only, OpenOffice won't work) that converts MIDI files (.mid) to SMD files (.SMD), which FFT can play.

It is not finished, and 10% of what you put in will come out unlistenable, but for a lot of songs it sounds... surprisingly nice.  If you apply the patch and select New Game, that will give you an idea of what an ambitious MIDI sounds like right now.  Or just listen to the .mp3, which I recorded out of pSX: Test SMD

Important notes:
- You're going to get a bum instrument once in a while.  I might be able to sort these out, or it might have to be done in "post-production".
- The files are rather large and the sound is tinny.  You may need to overwrite one of the larger tracks to get even a small MIDI to fit.  Again, still under construction.

Instructions:
Open the notebook and change the file path as desired.  You can either leave the "Y" in the yellow box to have the spreadsheet automatically spit out an .xml file which will tell FFTorgASM to overwrite MUSIC99 into the same directory, or leave it blank and just let the spreadsheet produce raw hex.  Run the "Convert" macro.  If you didn't choose XML, copy the hex and overwrite an existing file using a hex editor, then use CDMage to import that file back to your FFT ISO.  Leaving the remainder of the existing file in there is fine, there's no need to zero it.

If you're going to be trying a bunch of midis, I suggest just plopping this into your FFTorgASM folder to streamline the process.  Change path, run macro, run FFTorgASM.

I thoughtlessly neglected to mention before that this is really little more than an implementation of the excellent work gomtuu did on this a while back.  I'm not sure if anyone else helped, but if so, thanks to them as well!

EDIT: Fixed some critical bugs with sustained notes and instrumentation.  It's sounding much improved.
3/3/2014 EDIT: I fixed a really stupid bug that threw errors sometimes, although the hex output was still okay. However, I'm not certain what's causing fdc's bug without seeing the midi file. I will be back in a month or two when my schedule is clearer to see if people are still having issues.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:44:09 AM by pokeytax »
May I kill him?
Pride [Posts: 819]
  • View Profile
  • [March 22, 2013, 12:20:11 AM]
Re: MIDI to SMD v0.3: FFT Music Converter
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
Need a like button for this. I hope the quality continues to improve, awesome work ^_^

• Modding version: PSX
  • Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?
    The Puppet ---Master---
    Elric (Overseer) [Posts: 3830]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bones42
    • [March 22, 2013, 12:42:24 AM]
    « Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »
    This is an amazing find, Great work Pokeytax! I know it's still got some bugs, but the fact that we can do it at all now
    is a HUGE step up and I'm sure many people will enjoy this.
     :more:

• <@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.
    Journey of the Five Youtube ChannelThe Lion War Current Status

Jot5 Leader :: Eventer :: OtherTLW Leader :: Eventer :: Other
    Event Kid, Mr. Peanut
    Jumza [Posts: 1515]
    • View Profile
    • [March 22, 2013, 01:30:35 AM]
    « Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:30:35 AM »
    Dang, Pokeytax is there anything you can't do? This is so cool!

• Check out my project ~ FFT: A Stone's Ripple : http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10857.0
    The demo was just released! Come check it out!
    Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
    Choto [Posts: 818]
    • View Profile
    • [March 22, 2013, 12:12:20 PM]
    Re: MIDI to SMD v0.4: FFT Music Converter
    « Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »
    Need a like button for this. I hope the quality continues to improve, awesome work ^_^

I propose like buttons with associated values. This gets +1000. Gotta get my composing boots on!
    pokeytax [Posts: 515]
    • View Profile
    • [March 23, 2013, 04:24:47 AM]
    Re: MIDI to SMD v0.5: FFT Music Converter
    « Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 04:24:47 AM »
    Thanks, guys.  Like I said, though, it's really just someone else's notes.  I hardly did any ASM at all.

It's been vastly improved since the first version and a lot of stuff sounds quite good.  The OP now includes a much more ambitious track.  It's not a perfect rendition, but it gives you a good idea of where we are at now.
    Queen of Palemoon
    Celdia [Posts: 1638]
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198029710324/
    • [March 23, 2013, 06:05:11 PM]
    « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 06:05:11 PM »
    Someone else making notes is great and all but if they never did anything with them then it doesn't count for much. You're doing something with it and it can be used by others. Take your kudos, good sir. You earned them.
    The Puppet ---Master---
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • [March 23, 2013, 07:25:31 PM]
    « Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 07:25:31 PM »
    Someone else making notes is great and all but if they never did anything with them then it doesn't count for much. You're doing something with it and it can be used by others. Take your kudos, good sir. You earned them.

^^ Exactly this.

Just listened to the test song btw and it sounds great, would make some epic boss music

• <@Angel> Teach a man to fish and he'll open up a fishery to compete against yours.

Event Kid, Mr. Peanut
    • View Profile
    • [March 23, 2013, 08:15:17 PM]
    « Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 08:15:17 PM »
    Just listened to the test song btw and it sounds great, would make some epic boss music
    That's because it is :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGmBKYI02yQ
    (I'm sure you knew that though :) )
    This is so boss Pokeytax, you deserve every compliment you get for sure.

• Check out my project ~ FFT: A Stone's Ripple : http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10857.0
    The Puppet ---Master---
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • [March 23, 2013, 08:29:17 PM]
    « Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
    Yep I knew what it was from, but it could easily be used for another epic boss other than Sephy :P

Event Kid, Mr. Peanut
    • View Profile
    • [March 23, 2013, 08:50:22 PM]
    « Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
    I always thought that Ghetsis' theme from pokemon black / white (and BW2) was a rip off of Sephiroths, mostly because of the chanting, too bad no pokemon boss could ever be as epic as sephiroth.

The Puppet ---Master---
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
    • [March 23, 2013, 10:11:51 PM]
    « Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 10:11:51 PM »
    I've still never played passed Silver/Gold (unless you count Leafgreen and Firered)
    But Yeah Pokemon VS. Sephiroth XD

Bad code, beware! The NOPs are coming to eat you!
    formerdeathcorps [Posts: 1322]
    • View Profile
    • [September 22, 2013, 03:04:30 AM]
    « Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 03:04:30 AM »
    I tried it with a .mid file from a song I wrote, Excel threw an exception error (Error 1004, Application or object-defined error.)  Not sure if this is relevant, but the overwrite process deletes the orgASM header.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 03:32:11 AM by formerdeathcorps »
    The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
    The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.
    Heisho [Posts: 58]
    • View Profile
    • [February 08, 2017, 05:12:00 AM]
    « Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 05:12:00 AM »
    Hello everyone, I'm new in this and would like to know if thereĀ“s a specific way to open the file on excel, because I used Excel 07 and 10 and it says the following

" This workbook has lost its VBA project, ActiveX controls and any other programmability-related features."

Any clue regarding this?

Thanks in advance
    Victor FrankeinSprite
    CONMAN [Posts: 281]
    • View Profile
    • [February 09, 2017, 04:35:31 PM]
    « Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
    I forgot about this topic completely!  I'm going to play around with this Heisho and I'll let you know what I find.  My excel skills have gone from poor to bad over the years, but I'll try any way.

EDIT:  I downloaded and opened this sheet.  If I remember right I was simply given the option to enable things...  I changed the file path. I pulled up view macro's and ran "convert".  Excel kind of freaked out and spit out a "music99" excel sheet and an xml sheet.  on a clean iso I attempted to patch twice (2 ct songs). I tried the first one on music27 (world map music). I did this because I figured I could test it faster.  It came out terrible- like a single beep every five seconds.  I tried again and got a quiet drum beat sort of sound.  The second one was shorter- after it finished the first song started to beep again (obvious once I heard it).  Once both songs ended the game froze.  Probably to long of a song I used?  I may keep messing around and try to find some music that comes out better...   

EDIT 2: tried again with a remix of ct frog's theme. It came out great, but was a little too high pitched for me.
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:59:50 PM by CONMAN »
  • Heisho [Posts: 58]
    • View Profile
    • [February 10, 2017, 06:34:50 AM]
    « Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 06:34:50 AM »
    Hey thanks for the reply man. Maybe I need to check my installed version since I removed a lo of things when installing Office for space sake. I'll try to give a try later since i just found the tunes I was looking for.

I'll keep you posted.
    Pages: [1]