• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Final Fantasy Tactics: Kind Of PSX (Current version: 2.6, Updated: 10/23/16)

Started by Eternal248, March 29, 2012, 12:13:12 pm

Barren

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

dotchan

My first impression is that you have over-buffed Monsters and have made their multipliers too large (when what they really needed was better growths and, if possible, the ability to equip gear).  Not only do they have way too much HP and hit too hard (especially compared to human units),but some of them can inflict status ailments as early as Sweegy Woods, before most players have a White Mage with Esuna or the money to buy curatives.

In my opinion, the level of challenge in Vanilla FFT is fine up until Chapter Three or so (especially if you don't overlevel), as every battle can still be beaten with pure brute force, which makes it a good balance of "easy to learn--hard to master".  In your version, I can't damage race anything to make a low-level run feasible, nor can I grind my way past a challenge where I'm hitting a tactical wall.

Bonesy

• Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Barren

Barren

I'm not sure if I can pass the 2nd Zalmo fight right now because it's way too hard. Even with Arrow Guard and Magic Defend UP and some degree of evasion I still get the bad end of the stick. If anyone has a recommended setup I can use to win the fight a lot easier that would be great. I'm really frustrated at the moment

Macheman7

Quote from: Barren on October 26, 2017, 02:14:52 pm
I'm not sure if I can pass the 2nd Zalmo fight right now because it's way too hard. Even with Arrow Guard and Magic Defend UP and some degree of evasion I still get the bad end of the stick. If anyone has a recommended setup I can use to win the fight a lot easier that would be great. I'm really frustrated at the moment

Going off my personal experience, I'd recommend taking weapon stealing/breaking abilities, and so on that can debilitate the Archers. I had a Thief hop right on up there and steal their bows, but that might not work for you, seeing as it's fairly luck-based. The Geomancers weren't a problem for my Summoner and either of Rapha or Malak, I forget which. Their spells are very powerful, when they hit. When going after Zalmo himself, I ran into difficulty as well, because he's built like a tank. Surrounding him and beating on him worked alright, as I recall, though I may have used some tactic to deplete his MP or otherwise hamper his Leviathans and so on.
I'm not a master at FFT, and less so at KO, but you asked. Hope it helps, I find your videos highly entertaining, Barren.

On the subject of the patch itself-
Monsters: They're weird. Eye Gouge having Don't Act makes Goblins way tougher than expected, but makes Heal far more valuable. I was stuck at Sweegy until I figured out to bring it. Some are very powerful, and some are moderate. I think getting taken down a notch would help. Chocobo heals being single-target is weird, but the Esuna raising is game-changing. I used a Chocobo several times when I didn't have a dedicated healer, and their pecks ain't half bad, either, especially when Slow connects.
T. G. Cid: You've ruined him. And I hate you and love you for it.
I will be returning to, and editing, this post tomorrow, when I am not half-asleep.
All in all, this is a fairly well-balanced patch, pretty much.

Eternal

Yeah, Zalmo is definitely getting bashed upside the head with the nerf stick in the next update. I honestly was hoping to have it done by now before you got to him because I knew he'd be an issue. I think part of the challenge is that Zalmo is just too good all around in that fight (never thought I'd say that about Zalmo...). He can be basically invincible and drop lots of damage on you at once. Barren, I'll send you a temporary fix sometime this week so you can continue the LP. :)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Barren

Quote from: Eternal on October 30, 2017, 08:36:35 pm
Yeah, Zalmo is definitely getting bashed upside the head with the nerf stick in the next update. I honestly was hoping to have it done by now before you got to him because I knew he'd be an issue. I think part of the challenge is that Zalmo is just too good all around in that fight (never thought I'd say that about Zalmo...). He can be basically invincible and drop lots of damage on you at once. Barren, I'll send you a temporary fix sometime this week so you can continue the LP. :)

Thanks Eternal, it would definitely help me continue the LP. I just didn't want to keep uploading failed attempts of me struggling against Zalmo.

davedave

Hey, If were to disable the "smart encounters" by myself, how do I do it?
Would really love to play your full mod, just with random encounters on instead :S
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

Roll a dice, if it hits 2 or 4, force yourself into a random battle... or reset. The ultimate video/tabletop game crossover experience,
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

davedave

Quote from: Xifanie on November 26, 2017, 02:11:44 am
Roll a dice, if it hits 2 or 4, force yourself into a random battle... or reset. The ultimate video/tabletop game crossover experience,

Thats actually a good Idea. Given an enough-sided dice I can even choose to stop by the rolled number of steps on the way from A to X. Thanks :D
..now where did I leave it
I played a bit so far and I have to say the smart encounters isnt so shabby. Good for avoiding the slightly overpowered hasted evil birds of Ohmyko'd.
Monsters really seem a little too good in the beginning, especially for a filthy casual such as me. But so far I am enjoying it!

Alexandrite

Could you please make the US version of this mod yet? i really want this mod to be USA to be playing able with http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/916/

Or another way if you not comfortable to make USA version of this mod

then can you add this feature to the mod

Controllable "Guest" characters
    Non-missable rare items and abilities
    Automatic "JP Boost"
    Zodiark and Ultima can be purchased
    Special characters will no longer forget abilities before joining your team
    Spell-casting slowdown has been fixed (thanks to Eternal248 and Nexus)
    Misc improvements - check the readme for the details

I specially want the Controllable "Guest" the most
  • Modding version: WotL

3lric

The credits on that link are wrong. Archaemic is who made the slowdown fix...

But yeah, anyway, no, you cannot just stack mods like that.

Alexandrite

• Modding version: WotL

3lric

Quote from: Alexandrite on February 07, 2018, 04:48:01 am
That's why I asking for "Controllable "Guest" characters"

That was your second (alt) request, your first was for him to make it for the USA ISO so that you could stack the mods, for which I was telling you that is not how it works.