• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:46 am

Let there be democracy

Started by Xifanie, November 30, 2010, 07:41:11 am

philsov

Quoteif philsov doesn't want to be a candidate solo

Pretty much.  I don't mind running the forum (in fact it'd be kinda cool), but I would have a problem running the website.

So unless someone else speaks up, gogo Eternal.  I'll aid in my top capacity though :)
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Eternal

I'm with Phil on that, actually. I have no problem with the forums, but I'd be at a loss on the actual website. That's why I suggest there be two admins, one for the forum/IRC and one for the site itself.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Wiegraf

December 01, 2010, 12:46:27 pm #22 Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 12:49:57 pm by Wiegraf
edit
What troubled sleep have you known to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream must always fade into day...

-Wiegraf

Eternal

Wiegraf, I advise you read the 1.3 board entitled "I'm Banned Again, However;". That'll explain why Arch can't be an admin. I really hope that wasn't a serious post. >_>
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Kagebunji

Super cool story bro. Where have you been last two days? LRN2READ!!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Wiegraf

I thought he was a high moderator though. Meh.

What about Cheetah? And yeah, I haven't been online really in a long time.
What troubled sleep have you known to speak of my dreams? No matter how sweet, a dream must always fade into day...

-Wiegraf

Eternal

No worries, Wiegraf. Just a lot has been happening lately.

ffta707

I think we need to find someone willing to take care of the hole site in general.

I forgot about adding content (I.e. Custom Sprites, downloads).

Cheetah

Thanks for the vote Wiegraf. I certainly have ideas about what could be done to help improve FFH and get us through these hard times, but I am unsure if I simply have the time to do my ideas justice. I have been a general moderator for a long while and was in charge of the spriting section along with Zozma before that. I'm not even sure how long I have been with this site, it hasn't been four years has it?

I think a new leadership structure is needed. I'm not saying that Zodiac did anything wrong, but I think she put too much of the weight all on her own shoulders. We need clearer roles, responsibilities, and powers of moderators and other leadership. Processes for moderating content, spam, and especially banning need to be established and made more consistent. I think for this structure to work we still need one, maybe two, people at the top to delegate and organize the moderators. Democracy is good and the opinions of others should be valued, but at the end of the day when not everyone can agree one person needs to have the responsibility and trust of the others to make the final decision.

I think that Zodiac's strength has always been creating the website as an aid and tool for hacking, and I hope she continues on as webmaster because it doesn't sound like anyone else can do it. I don't think we should or want to replace Zodiac's position, I think we need to reorganize leadership.

I could never do what Zodiac has done and will continue to do, I don't have the skill and especially not the time. However, with the help of many of the current moderators and some of the people being suggested here I think we could get things moving here again.

Sorry if I sound super melodramatic or emo, but I'm not happy with where FFH is right now. Many of the people I have respected on the site are fading away and many state it is because we are too busy, but I think it is also because this site just hasn't been all that fun lately. I find myself fading away from this site for the same reasons, but I want to give it one more go and see if I can get this community motivated again.
Current Projects:

Melancthon

I think Cheetah nailed it.  Zodiac has been an excellent webmaster, but if the strain of making all of the decisions is too much, it is definitely time to delegate some responsibility or define a hierarchy of powers.  I think that anyone who wants to be a moderator needs to be both reasonable and skilled at hacking.  I can see a site where Zodiac remains webmaster, in charge of the technical maintenance of the site and perhaps Eternal, philsov, and Cheetah (all skilled and reasonable individuals) become high-level moderators, in charge of the organization of various forum sections and responsible for for wielding the Banhammer.

Zodiac, I hope you stay with the site.  I think you have done some excellent work here.

Oh and DOME FOR SPAM MOD!

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"

Xifanie

Alright I agree, the technical aspect of the site isn't stressful. I'll leave the forum and chat to new the admin though.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

I'm glad you like this plan Zodiac, because frankly it would be no good without you. I think that without the stress and drama of the forum to worry about that your specialized skills will benefit the community much more.

I once again want to emphasize the need for teamwork and hierarchy. An administrator shouldn't be one person in charge of everything with minor support from moderators. The new administrator role, should be the leader of a cooperative team. Zodiac made attempts at this in the past and currently, but it needs to be more formal. There is a lot to do.

With Zodiac on board I nominate myself as the new forum/chat administrator. Obviously I have a team oriented approach so I also recommend that those interested in the administrator role continue to volunteer themselves as they will likely be people first looked at as future moderators. If I'm not chosen as administrator then I hope to continue as a moderator and advice as to how to improve leadership on the site.

Oh and are we actually voting for the new administrator is that how we are doing it?
Current Projects:

philsov

Yay zodiac!  I was strongly hoping you'd stick around in some capacity; you're very talented and knowledgable in areas that well... most of us aren't in.

If Zodiac covers the behind the scene stuff I'll officially throw my hat in as well.  However, one thing we all seem to agree upon is more people than just one for admin -- it allows for discussion on topics of importance and increases Admin uptime to deal with issues as they arise instead of waiting for one person to be online and available to deal with it.  At least two, or perhaps all three of us?  We can all certainly be promoted to aid in increased capacity, and then we have a head head honcho?

Philsov -- "I wanna be your honcho." (But I'm never in chat)

edit:
QuoteOh and are we actually voting for the new administrator is that how we are doing it?

Think so.  New topic to be spawned in a day or so.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

Eternal

Since I'm on IRC a lot, I wouldn't mind handling IRC, and Newtype, if it ever gets a board.

ffta707

Quote from: "Eternal248"Since I'm on IRC a lot, I wouldn't mind handling IRC, and Newtype, if it ever gets a board.

It WILL get it's forum! XD

I like the idea of eternal handling IRC, since he is on every time I am on.

Kaijyuu

(did a cursory check on recent events)

Yeah the amount of drama recently is ridiculous. Lots of tossing rocks from glass houses and the like.

I can't really say much beyond that I think Zodiac's done a fine job running the site, and the nominated folks seem good to me.
  • Modding version: PSX

SilvasRuin

QuoteI try to stay calm and look at both sides of a situation before acting, and ultimately, try to act as fairly to everyone as I can. I know I'm not really a veteran on here, like some people on here are, but I really think that with as much time as I spend on FFH, I could make sure it runs decently in Zodiac's absence. My biggest weakness, I think, would be the technical aspects of running the site, like if it gets hacked again. However, I know there are people out there who could guide me in such a case.

100% agree.  If Zodiac must leave delegation for someone else, my vote is for Eternal.

FFMaster

I'll just nominate myself, see what happens. If people think Eternal is too new, and Cheetah isn't active enough. I'm an older member who is active on IRC, and on the forums(except WotL and spriting). Nobody will vote me though, maybe I shouldn't bother at all.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

GeneralStrife

Quote from: "FFMaster"I'll just nominate myself, see what happens. If people think Eternal is too new, and Cheetah isn't active enough. I'm an older member who is active on IRC, and on the forums(except WotL and spriting). Nobody will vote me though, maybe I shouldn't bother at all.
dont assume ffm, lets wait and see what happens anyways

Melancthon

So what do we think?  Zodiac remains webmaster in charge of technical aspects.  We have one Head Moderator and an as-yet-undefined number of sub-moderators?  I imagine that the initial vote will be for the head moderator, who will then determine the number of and appoint sub-moderators?  Does that sound right?

Current nominations for head moderator:

Eternal
TRC
Kokojo (for a lazy moderator)
philsov
Cheetah
FFM
Just a collaborator plotting collaboration.
"WHATS ST AJORA'S DEAL DUDE!?"