• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:53:06 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

[REQ] King Ramza Sprite

Started by CodySpie, January 05, 2014, 07:37:44 pm

CodySpie

Hey there guys and gals, apologies in advance if this thread gets me into some trouble! I noticed that the Official Request thread hasn't seen some action anymore.

I was playing around in Photoshop with bitmap image I found on Google and started doing a little head swapping using the Ramza heads located in RopeSanders Thread Now this isn't a complete Sprite Sheet by any means. (What little I did was decently hard work, I have a new found respect for Spriters out there! You guys are wicked talented!)

I figure I would post it as a reference for those with the Know-how and willingness to get'er done right. I am pretty proud of that Portrait thought ;)

Ideally, if it's ever finished I'd like to play around with the Palettes, see what sorts of crazy colors I can get onto it. ;)

Cheers, and good luck!

• Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

Well, I don't know how you managed this, but, there is absolutely nothing to do with the images you provided.

• The .bmp file has 658 colours used

• The .png file has 3152 colours

It should be at most 32 colours (16 for the sprite, 16 for the portrait).

It's literally impossible to restore the sprite colours to what they should be without manually looking at every pixel and determining which colour it's supposed to be... So I suggest you restart completely and do it right this time.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

CodySpie

Quote from: Xifanie on January 05, 2014, 07:49:37 pm
Well, I don't know how you managed this, but, there is absolutely nothing to do with the images you provided.

• The .bmp file has 658 colours used

• The .png file has 3152 colours

It should be at most 32 colours (16 for the sprite, 16 for the portrait).

It's literally impossible to restore the sprite colours to what they should be without manually looking at every pixel and determining which colour it's supposed to be... So I suggest you restart completely and do it right this time.

Yep! I have no idea how that happened, back to the drawing board!

Astos

You have to save it as a 256 colours bitmap. But you only get to use the first 16 colours (1 to 16) for the sprite and then another 16 (129 to 145) for portrait. See the image of one of these palettes attached.
It's a bit tricky but you have to make sure the sprite doesn't use any colours from the portrait and vice-versa. I recommend doing the sprites without the portrait and converting it to 16 colours then editing the portrait in a separete 16 colours file. When both are done, convert the sprites file to 256 colours and copy the colours from the portrait palette to the right positions (I use Graphics Gale to do that), then import the portrait.

CodySpie

Quote from: Astos on January 05, 2014, 08:42:42 pm
You have to save it as a 256 colours bitmap. But you only get to use the first 16 colours (1 to 16) for the sprite and then another 16 (129 to 145) for portrait. See the image of one of these palettes attached.
It's a bit tricky but you have to make sure the sprite doesn't use any colours from the portrait and vice-versa. I recommend doing the sprites without the portrait and converting it to 16 colours then editing the portrait in a separete 16 colours file. When both are done, convert the sprites file to 256 colours and copy the colours from the portrait palette to the right positions (I use Graphics Gale to do that), then import the portrait.

I am by no means a Spriter, so I'm unfamiliar with the terms and programs, on top of that, creating Palettes is difficult since my eyes blend some colors together, and some I can't see at all! I'm willing to try and learn for certain, but for now I'll keep an eye on this Request Thread to see if anyone has the free time to whip something up.

Thanks for all of the tips Astos, hopefully I'll be able to better understand them in the future. :)

Astos

No problem! I'm no spriter myself, just a beginner. About the palettes, the easiest way is to copy from another file then edit the colours to fit your needs.

3lric

Even when changing the color depth this has way to many colors, my best guess was that this used to be saves as a JPG, which completely destroys
the Palette and Sprite

CodySpie

Quote from: Elric on January 06, 2014, 12:03:13 am
Even when changing the color depth this has way to many colors, my best guess was that this used to be saves as a JPG, which completely destroys
the Palette and Sprite

I do recall trying to convert a JPEG file, good call Elric!

That is some bad news for this sprite though.

EDIT 1: I managed to put a Sprite together, but it's in really rough shape. You can use it in-game, but it has some cropping errors and the Portrait doesn't display properly. Boy oh boy.   :wark:

I'll keep the request open :P

CONMAN

January 27, 2014, 08:29:01 pm #8 Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 08:40:58 pm by CONMAN
This isn't exactly what you are looking for..... but I thought it was cool.  I found this forever ago on deviant art or something.... My google fu could not locate it's creator or where I found it :|  The arms on the top of the sheet are all wrong :?  That shouldn't be too hard to fix up.... still I really like this as an evil lord Ramza  :cool:

edit: nevermind... make that pretty much all the arms.  hmm would you prefer red, or black arms for this sucker?

CodySpie

Quote from: CONMAN on January 27, 2014, 08:29:01 pm
This isn't exactly what you are looking for..... but I thought it was cool.  I found this forever ago on deviant art or something.... My google fu could not locate it's creator or where I found it :|  The arms on the top of the sheet are all wrong :?  That shouldn't be too hard to fix up.... still I really like this as an evil lord Ramza  :cool:

edit: nevermind... make that pretty much all the arms.  hmm would you prefer red, or black arms for this sucker?

Hey CONMAN, that sprite is super menacing, I love it! Red would seem fitting I think! I released a (Far less evil) King Sprite shortly after I made the request, it was the first sprite I ever put together, you can give it a look here. http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=10199.0

CONMAN

Here is the arm fix.  I messed up the port, but I ought to do it proper anyway.  The original didn't match the dang sprite!

Jumza

The... Thing (The red bit attached to the back of his head) is kind of oddly shaped and very strange looking in some of the frames, mainly I'm looking at

The back view of the damage animation
the back view of the critical animation
the front and back views of the dead animation (and dead in water)

I think everything else looks pretty cool, good job with the fixes and other stuff Conman ;)
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

CONMAN

Ya, I may have rushed this a bit.  I was mostly focused on the arms and I fixed a couple things that just didn't look right otherwise. 
QuoteThe back view of the damage animation
- I did touch this a little, it's kind of funky looking on the original delita sheet as well.  I'll take a couple more looks at this sheet.

CodySpie

Quote from: CONMAN on January 30, 2014, 11:46:20 pm
- I did touch this a little, it's kind of funky looking on the original delita sheet as well.  I'll take a couple more looks at this sheet.

I can vouch for this, it looks strange regardless! We never get to see any of those frames in Vanilla though, so it makes sense.

CONMAN

QuoteThe... Thing (The red bit attached to the back of his head) is kind of oddly shaped and very strange looking in some of the frames, mainly I'm looking at

The back view of the damage animation
the back view of the critical animation
the front and back views of the dead animation (and dead in water)

1-changed that up-looks better than on the delita sheet in my opinion
2- it looked alright until I actually looked close.  His head angle and position now better match delita.
3- didn't think they were all that bad, looked again and realized how fucked they were! looks all pretty good now. Back leg looks a little strange..
4. Port is little more than a copy paste.  Tried to mildly angry the port up with a glare and sharpen a couple patches of hair.  Hair color is a little off/darker. I was alright with it.

Jumza

Very nice Conman :) Good job on the fixes, and the port isn't bad either :P
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Lijj

Looks great Conman. I'd kinda prefer the portrait's hair to be more yellow to match the sprite or for the sprite's to be more reddish to match the portrait.

Metal

I always thought ramza was too girly. Always thought ramza with a helmet would be a cool concept though. Dude can't look too evil with that blonde hair... lol

Angel

Quote from: Metal on February 05, 2014, 03:53:25 pmDude can't look too evil with that blonde hair... lol

What? There's a whole trope around this, even. Blonde is evil until proven protagonist. :v
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Metal

People just be hatin' on jocks, lol