• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:16:01 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

What can currently be done and what can't?

Started by Bloodthirster0, April 14, 2015, 04:52:55 pm

Bloodthirster0

As far as editing the ISO go, what can be changed or expanded, for every detail, map editing, battlefield editing, music, spriting, background images
Need something useful to write here

Xifanie

If you haven't been interested enough to stick around for the last 2 years, you'll probably be disappointed.

Same reason we've lost a lot of our userbase; despite the hard work from some people, the interest keeps fading and thus there has been less going on, even if some amazing things were made.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Bloodthirster0

I've actually been around all time, just lurking, as I had nothing to contribute, I have played CoP and JoT5, which was great to know that eventing was taken to a whole new level and that people are very good at it due to all effort made, the spriting section in the other hand(which is the place I lurk the most) didnt evolved so much publicly.
But I believe that showing up and asking will bring up lots of things that I havent found

Aqueous

Scope of the question is probably a bit too big IMO (and likely if you tried to implement everything that had been discovered you'd get burnt out).

Maybe target something more specific you're interested in doing in a mod for the game and we can tell you if it can be done with existing knowledge.

Angel

General answer, by platform:

PSX version: there's nothing you can't do that fits within the limit of the hardware, just some things that aren't reasonable to do, because it would be more efficient to author a new game from scratch.

PSP version: you can edit abilities, graphics, and text; anything you can use Patcher for on PSX applies. A few hacks have been made, but nothing as extravagant as is possible with the PSX version (which most of us agree is better, anyway)

iOS version: you can edit saves.

Android version: GIVE US A NORTH AMERICAN VERSION, DAMMIT
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Bloodthirster0

Anything, but it is reasonable to change the world map background multiple times, change the location of the map dots, change their path and edit a battlefield enough to look like another place.

Also, is it possible to connect different mods, for example, you go to a port city and is prompted to save, then you change disks and resets and there you are into a different port city somewhere else

3lric

I dont even understand what you mean by connection mods. I mean, do you really think that we all program our mods to work together? CoP doesnt even have a worldmap...

As for changing dot locations and such, all very possible

Jumza

Quote from: Toshiko on April 15, 2015, 09:24:04 am
Android version: GIVE US A NORTH AMERICAN VERSION, DAMMIT

Quote from: Bloodthirster0 on April 15, 2015, 03:48:11 pm
Anything, but it is reasonable to change the world map background multiple times, change the location of the map dots, change their path and edit a battlefield enough to look like another place.

Also, is it possible to connect different mods, for example, you go to a port city and is prompted to save, then you change disks and resets and there you are into a different port city somewhere else

Changing the background picture is easy-peasy, changing the dots and lines is time consuming, but still easy. Doing the port thing is a cool idea, and it would be possible. You'd just have to be extremely aware of basically everything :P It would not be easy to connect currently existing mods, but you could make a few if you've got the time that have this functionality.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Quote from: Jumza on April 15, 2015, 06:59:09 pm
Doing the port thing is a cool idea, and it would be possible. You'd just have to be extremely aware of basically everything :P It would not be easy to connect currently existing mods, but you could make a few if you've got the time that have this functionality.

I don't see how it would be feasible unless the mods were built to work together, which isnt really what he was asking. I can't think of any mods where the main character has all the exact same abilities, or even has the same starting and guest units.

It may be able to work for vanilla mods in some strange way, but for any kind of story mod it would screw everything up with the story progression.

If you were going to make several mods to work this way, why wouldn't you just make it into 1 mod?

Jumza

Quote from: Elric on April 15, 2015, 07:04:16 pm
I don't see how it would be feasible unless the mods were built to work together

Oh, I assumed that was what he meant. Elric is right, it would be entirely impossible (and kind of strange... Imagine being halfway through the JoT5 storyline and then just getting on a boat and leaving :P) to link together mods that weren't built in a specific way.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Bloodthirster0

Quote from: Elric on April 15, 2015, 07:04:16 pm
I don't see how it would be feasible unless the mods were built to work together, which isnt really what he was asking. I can't think of any mods where the main character has all the exact same abilities, or even has the same starting and guest units.

It may be able to work for vanilla mods in some strange way, but for any kind of story mod it would screw everything up with the story progression.

If you were going to make several mods to work this way, why wouldn't you just make it into 1 mod?

Jumza is right it is for two mods which work togheter, due to the fact unknown to me if you can change the background map multiple times, like chapter 1 at USA, 2 on Japan, then 3 back to USA and 4 at Mexico.
But it also works if you want a extremely huge story mode in the same universe