• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:52:29 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Mixing different ability sets.

Started by tekmansam, December 28, 2019, 10:40:16 pm

tekmansam

Quick question:  Will it cause any sort of funny business if I mix abilities from different sets (specifically those that are not default, i.e. item, jump, aim, etc?)  For instance, what might happen if I try to nest ....idk, Throw Ball inside of the Item set?  Or put Fire 3 in the Aim set?  Apologies for the n00b question.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

It won't work. I don't know specifically what will happen in each instance, but I know that giving dragoons extra skills in addition to Jump requires an ASM hack to give them a bonus action skillset for those skills.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

yamish

It comes down to menu types. If you check the action menus tab, it'll be more clear. Mixing stuff from a DEFAULT menu to another should work fine. But throw requires weapon inventory type, throw item requires item menu type, math skill requires math menu type.

What typically happens is the skill will be listed, but red and unusable as if you had not enough mp for it, regardless of its actual mp cost or if there even is one.

Certain things only work within their respective menu types, basically, and the action menus tab in patcher is a quick reference for which ones.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
  • Discord username: riggz raggz